"birth marks"?

leckershell

Reaction score
Ok, this is probably going to sound really dumbass but I need to know.

You know people can have "birth marks", on some people this can just be a little red/brown mark and on others it can be huge like one little boy at my mum and baby group has a birth mark that looks like a ink splot and covers a lot of his face...

Well... how does it happen and why? Is it if there is a traumatic birth? I haven't noticed that Ryan has a birth mark at all...

So I don't get it really, how come some babies do, some babies don't, and the size and type of them vary so much..?

Or is "birth mark" just a term for it and it's nothing to do with the birth?

:think:

Not 100% sure how accurate it is, but I always thought that it was called a 'birth mark' because it was a mark that you are born with, rather than a result of the birth??

I have no idea why some people have them & some don't though :think:

It's weird.. lol I've never thought about it before but I was in one of those sleepless moods and it came into my head last night and I needed to post it on here to get it out of my system as I just couldn't figure it out :)

Im not reall sure tbh my mum has em all the way up one of her arsm, my bro has one but us other kids dont :think: Hope has a little mark under her boobie, like and inverted boobie but its not, not sure where she gets it from :think:

Birthmarks get their name for one simple reason: They are marks that are present on the skin of a lot of newborn babies! A baby can develop birthmarks either before he or she is born or soon after birth.

One of the most common types of birthmarks is called a hemangioma (say: he-man-jee-o-muh). These birthmarks happen when many new blood vessels group together in one place on the skin. Blood vessels are tiny tubes that carry blood through the body.

No one knows what causes blood vessels to group together, but it's good to know that most birthmarks don't hurt at all and they usually aren't a sign of any kind of illness. Lots of newborns have these birthmarks on the back of the neck (where they're called stork bites) or between the eyebrows (where they're called angel kisses). These birthmarks usually disappear within the first few weeks or months of life.

Lola has one on her back near her bottom but i'm not sure how she got it :think:

Here's the wikipedia bumpf:

A birthmark is a blemish on the skin formed before birth. They are part of the group of skin lesions known as naevi. The cause of birthmarks is unknown, but may include cellular damage due to radiation or chemicals. Some types seem to run in families.

In Italian and Middle Eastern cultures they are called voglie in Italian or wiham in Arabic, both of which translate to "wishes" because, according to folklore, they are caused by unsatisfied wishes of the mother during pregnancy. For example, if a pregnant woman does not satisfy a sudden wish or craving for strawberries, it's said that the infant might bear a strawberry mark
[/img]

There's a good table on the wikipedia page too about different types of birth mark

Lola's Mummy said:
Lola has one on her back near her bottom but i'm not sure how she got it :think:

My little sister has one there too!! :D Like a pale brown mark.

jacob has one on side side.. it's slightly raised about the size of a 10p. Its red.. i had it checked out when he was born. The doc said it's a strawberry mark which will eventually go. He has a tiny one on one of his toes too but thats gone completely now

are strawberries the same as birth marks?

H x

Olivia has a strawberry mark on her arm above her elbow, its really red an very raised!

I asked the health visitor about it as it sometimes feels very warm, even when her arms are cold! She said its because it has it's own blood supply and that it should disapear by the time she is 5! It has shrunk a little since she was born!

EDIT: Here is a pic, it's on her right arm

Picture022.jpg

Matilda has a birthmark on the back of her head, also across both eyes and both sides of her nose, the ones on her face have faded slightly, me, my sis and my bruv all have a birthmark in the centre of our forhead that still shows now, specially if upset. what annoys me is that people have to comment on Matildas birthmarks, and every time my fil sees her he asks about the marks on her nose which really pees me off.

When I was younger I had a birthmark on my forehead but as I've got older its gradually faded.
My Mum used to tell me I had been kissed by a angel 'An Angel Kiss' and that I was special so that I didnt feel different to everyone else. :)

XXX

The birthmark babies have on the back of the neck and the face on the forehead or between the eyes is called a stork bite. It looks like a red rash and alot of babies have them. Isaac's still hasn't gone on the back of his neck.

Lou :)

I had a "birth" mark, on my forehead, wasnt the typical "strawberry" mark, but a mole type thing, which obviously wasnt as a result of the birth, i think its just called a "birth" mark, as you are born/"birthed" into the world with it....

But i had that horrible thing removed at Bupa soon as i was 16 much to mothers upset hahahah

Sophie had a red birth mark at the nape of her neck when she was born, it was really red, but in time it has disappeared.

As to your question why some abbies have them and others don't i don't have a scooby!!

owen's got one on his bum cheek!!! and its the cutest ever!!!

Defin one for the ladies when hes older :wink:

lou said:
The birthmark babies have on the back of the neck and the face on the forehead or between the eyes is called a stork bite. It looks like a red rash and alot of babies have them. Isaac's still hasn't gone on the back of his neck.

Harrison has this inbetween his eyebrows, its faded alot since he was born but its still there but also has bit of a birth mark on the back of head but that doesnt seem to have faded at all

Princess_Puddles said:
lou said:

Harrison has this inbetween his eyebrows, its faded alot since he was born but its still there but also has bit of a birth mark on the back of head but that doesnt seem to have faded at all

Keeley has one on her left leg right by her ankle... its really faded now but when she's angry or gets in the bath it goes a pinky red colour... i asked my hv about it and she said it wil go in time

My hv said it was a Stork mark :lol:

Cara has a stork bite on her right eyelid. My sis and I were born with blue patches on our bums ('Mongolian blue spot' but they fade quite soon. OH was quite disappointed when Cara didn't have one as he thought they sounded funny lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back