"birth marks"?

Discussion in 'Baby & Toddler' started by leckershell, Nov 12, 2007.

1. leckershell

leckershell Well-Known Member

Ok, this is probably going to sound really dumbass but I need to know.

You know people can have "birth marks", on some people this can just be a little red/brown mark and on others it can be huge like one little boy at my mum and baby group has a birth mark that looks like a ink splot and covers a lot of his face...

Well... how does it happen and why? Is it if there is a traumatic birth? I haven't noticed that Ryan has a birth mark at all...

So I don't get it really, how come some babies do, some babies don't, and the size and type of them vary so much..?

Or is "birth mark" just a term for it and it's nothing to do with the birth?

:think:

2. Emmylou

Emmylou Well-Known Member

Not 100% sure how accurate it is, but I always thought that it was called a 'birth mark' because it was a mark that you are born with, rather than a result of the birth??

I have no idea why some people have them & some don't though :think:

3. leckershell

leckershell Well-Known Member

It's weird.. lol I've never thought about it before but I was in one of those sleepless moods and it came into my head last night and I needed to post it on here to get it out of my system as I just couldn't figure it out :)

4. Melly+2

Melly+2 Well-Known Member

Im not reall sure tbh my mum has em all the way up one of her arsm, my bro has one but us other kids dont :think: Hope has a little mark under her boobie, like and inverted boobie but its not, not sure where she gets it from :think:

5. Krystal

Krystal Well-Known Member

Birthmarks get their name for one simple reason: They are marks that are present on the skin of a lot of newborn babies! A baby can develop birthmarks either before he or she is born or soon after birth.

One of the most common types of birthmarks is called a hemangioma (say: he-man-jee-o-muh). These birthmarks happen when many new blood vessels group together in one place on the skin. Blood vessels are tiny tubes that carry blood through the body.

No one knows what causes blood vessels to group together, but it's good to know that most birthmarks don't hurt at all and they usually aren't a sign of any kind of illness. Lots of newborns have these birthmarks on the back of the neck (where they're called stork bites) or between the eyebrows (where they're called angel kisses). These birthmarks usually disappear within the first few weeks or months of life.

6. Lola's Mummy

Lola's Mummy Well-Known Member

Lola has one on her back near her bottom but i'm not sure how she got it :think:

7. Emmylou

Here's the wikipedia bumpf:

There's a good table on the wikipedia page too about different types of birth mark

8. Emmylou

My little sister has one there too!! :D Like a pale brown mark.

9. hayley

hayley Well-Known Member

jacob has one on side side.. it's slightly raised about the size of a 10p. Its red.. i had it checked out when he was born. The doc said it's a strawberry mark which will eventually go. He has a tiny one on one of his toes too but thats gone completely now

are strawberries the same as birth marks?

H x

10. Kelly G

Kelly G Well-Known Member

Olivia has a strawberry mark on her arm above her elbow, its really red an very raised!

I asked the health visitor about it as it sometimes feels very warm, even when her arms are cold! She said its because it has it's own blood supply and that it should disapear by the time she is 5! It has shrunk a little since she was born!

EDIT: Here is a pic, it's on her right arm

[​IMG]

11. tuck

tuck Well-Known Member

Matilda has a birthmark on the back of her head, also across both eyes and both sides of her nose, the ones on her face have faded slightly, me, my sis and my bruv all have a birthmark in the centre of our forhead that still shows now, specially if upset. what annoys me is that people have to comment on Matildas birthmarks, and every time my fil sees her he asks about the marks on her nose which really pees me off.

12. SweetAtHeart12

SweetAtHeart12 Well-Known Member

When I was younger I had a birthmark on my forehead but as I've got older its gradually faded.
    My Mum used to tell me I had been kissed by a angel 'An Angel Kiss' and that I was special so that I didnt feel different to everyone else. :)

XXX

13. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

The birthmark babies have on the back of the neck and the face on the forehead or between the eyes is called a stork bite. It looks like a red rash and alot of babies have them. Isaac's still hasn't gone on the back of his neck.

Lou :)

14. lozzi

lozzi Well-Known Member

I had a "birth" mark, on my forehead, wasnt the typical "strawberry" mark, but a mole type thing, which obviously wasnt as a result of the birth, i think its just called a "birth" mark, as you are born/"birthed" into the world with it....

But i had that horrible thing removed at Bupa soon as i was 16 much to mothers upset hahahah

15. Lola's Mummy

Lola's Mummy Well-Known Member

That sound's just like Lola's :D

16. Vicki83

Vicki83 Well-Known Member

Sophie had a red birth mark at the nape of her neck when she was born, it was really red, but in time it has disappeared.

As to your question why some abbies have them and others don't i don't have a scooby!!

17. angiemum2b

angiemum2b Well-Known Member

owen's got one on his bum cheek!!! and its the cutest ever!!!

Defin one for the ladies when hes older :wink:

18. Princess_Puddles

Princess_Puddles Well-Known Member

Harrison has this inbetween his eyebrows, its faded alot since he was born but its still there but also has bit of a birth mark on the back of head but that doesnt seem to have faded at all

19. Nic'n'Keeley

Nic'n'Keeley Well-Known Member

Keeley has one on her left leg right by her ankle... its really faded now but when she's angry or gets in the bath it goes a pinky red colour... i asked my hv about it and she said it wil go in time

My hv said it was a Stork mark :lol:

20. elaine22

elaine22 Well-Known Member

Cara has a stork bite on her right eyelid. My sis and I were born with blue patches on our bums ('Mongolian blue spot' but they fade quite soon. OH was quite disappointed when Cara didn't have one as he thought they sounded funny lol.