Birth classes

Maaaaaac

Reaction score
So as a FTM I'm sure its pretty important that i went buuuut, i didn't. Not for lack of trying! I was booked into a class but they gave me wrong location, then after about a week of about six or seven different phonecalls and emails I got onto another, which was cancelled, then i tried to go to another but it was single mums only.

Anyway what do I need to know? I have books on labour and birth for breathing and that and it just constantly refers to what you learn in classes. I've read just about everything i can find really for breastfeeding and labour in general Of course i don't feel prepared but i dont feel completely unprepared either. Im more worried about the whole hospital bit and there is noone i can talk to about it, they dont show you around and i dont see a mw.

So what did you go through in classes?

From what I remember of the classes that I went to, it was just things like, what to expect during birth if there is something wrong. They made my man lie down on the floor and got us all to crowd around, to show how many people would be in the room at that time. No idea how helpful that was but hey ho. They also played a tape of a baby crying on a loop... lol, made us change nappies on dolls and stuff. The most helpful one was probably the actual delivery area tour. So we could see the water birth area, and the regular birth area. Also went through the list of drugs etc that would be available. So it helped for people to choose how they wanted to have the baby/what they wanted it to be like etc.

Not that any of it mattered to us either as our girl was breech and we had a planned section organised.

I wouldn't worry anyway, from my experience it was all a learn on the job kind of gig lol :D

Good stuff! Thank you very much x

Well im good for knowing the drugs and my husband and I have plenty experience with babies. Like how many people in the room? I didnt even think about that haha! Im just gonna wing it, i figured most people forget what even happens from class when the event occurs. Im just excited for the whole experience and intend to go in open minded but dont want to be completely ignorant lol. Just cant wait to meet babs!

Last edited:
Im on my 3rd and never went to a birth class. I decided it wasnt really for me and most ladies on here said they learned more on the Internet anyway, lol.

Its probably a good idea to be informed about drugs and possible interventions and when you would/wouldn't want them etc. I found lots of research and reading labour stories helped me feel ready. Its a balance because some people prefer to stay positive and not to think too much about what can go wrong but if you end up having to make quick choices in labour it is good to have an idea already what you want. One book I liked is Birth skills by Juju Sundin. It's based on he birth classes the author has taught herself for years and has lots of practical exercises and tricks for coping with labour.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back