Birth books

megsmeadow

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just wondered what everyone's recommendations might be for books preparing for the birth. I noticed Rosie's Mummy has recommended May Gaskin's Guide to childbirth, and I liked the look of Hypnobirthing: the Mongan Method. I'd like to try and prepare myself so I can cope as best I can with the labour and birth.
Any recommendations for good reads??

I found 'what to expect when youre expecting' USELESS at reducing anxiety, it seems to be a bible of everything which can possibly go wrong! Id steer well clear of that one! Just subscribing to this thread myself so I can make a list for the library!

Hi everyone,
I just wondered what everyone's recommendations might be for books preparing for the birth. I noticed Rosie's Mummy has recommended May Gaskin's Guide to childbirth, and I liked the look of Hypnobirthing: the Mongan Method. I'd like to try and prepare myself so I can cope as best I can with the labour and birth.
Any recommendations for good reads??

I have both of these and they are brilliant, they are filling me with confidence and making me really look forward to going through the birth again; also going to buy Ina May Gaskin's Spiritual Midwifery. Melanie Sykes has a book to take you through pregnancy and beyond, my sister lent it to me - its ok, quite good for a light read and she is refreshingly down to earth and normal! :)

What to expect is crap! Bin it!

Hypnobirthing - Marie Mongan - already mentioned but even if you dont 'hypnobirth' in the strictest sense, it's a brilliant positive and informative read on labour and birth.

Birthing The Easy Way by Shiela Stubbs - another positive read and particularly good if you are interested in homebirth but still great for a positive look at natural childbirth.

Bestfeeding: How to Breastfeed Your Baby - simple concise guide to BFing I read as part of my BF training and it's a great little reference book.

Childbirth Without Fear - Grantly Dick-Read - This was first published in the 1940's so it's beautifully written but can be quite 'wordy'. Worth the read but not as quick and easy as the others I've recommended :)

Thanks I'll have a look for the other ones too. My midwife gave me a DVD on breastfeeding which was more about other folks experiences really but did have a section about latching on and continuing to feed the baby. I felt like she was trying to 'sell' breastfeeding to me even though I said that'd be my preferrred option (old surgery might cause problems). Nice to have something in the house to refer back to late at night whent he panic sets in and people would kill you for phoning!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back