Bird Flu

pilkers

Reaction score
looks like the bird flu case is the virulent strain (H5N1) which affects humans...

will we all be eating turkey this christmas?

:puke: i dont even like turkey anyway, i'll be eating a cute fluffy lamb instead (obv with cute and fluff removed) :lol:

Turkey is safe to eat so it shouldn't put people off. Chances are it will for a while as the whole scaremongering thing kicks in :roll: Really, if people will eat KFC chicken or buy chicken filets they should not be put off turkey. All birds and all able to suffer bird flu.... and any turkey on your table isn't going to have come from the farm suffering the outbreak anyways. Those are incinerated.

I won't anyways as I never cook turkey as its always to big and too dry and I can't be doing with it. I tend to cook duck or chicken and then do sausages wrapped in bacon, sausagemeat and stuffing to bulk it all out. That way no leftover meat for days either :)

i own chickens and ducks.. and it really bugs me when something like this happens.. no doubt i will have some looks from neighbours over the next few weeks.. poor birds.. im lucky i have a large garden and enclosure for my birds and if the flu comes closer to us atleast i can keep them under cover from wild birds getting into the enclosure,food and water source..

oooh Lisa I'd love to own ducks n hens and stuff!!! I've always wanted to keep them.

They reckon it was probs a wild bird that infected the farm...and if you cook your birds well enough it kills the virus anyway.

I'll probably manage a little plateful of xmas dinner and a massive dishful of xmas pudding (and then suffer all night with indigestion!!) :cheer:

lisa&alex said:
i own chickens and ducks.. and it really bugs me when something like this happens.. no doubt i will have some looks from neighbours over the next few weeks.. poor birds.. im lucky i have a large garden and enclosure for my birds and if the flu comes closer to us atleast i can keep them under cover from wild birds getting into the enclosure,food and water source..

I keep both also. We also raise our own chooks for the table. TBH its here to stay I think and we just have to get used to it. Hopefully the public will learn not to panic too much when there is an outbreak. The thing is, usually the media don't help much.

I have heard on the news as long as the turkey is cooked properly they are fine to eat :)

We are a vegetarian household so no turkeys or chickens or ducks on our dinner plates :cheer:

Doesn't all this bird flu stuff make you think just a little bit about being vegetarian?

Lou :)

lou said:
We are a vegetarian household so no turkeys or chickens or ducks on our dinner plates :cheer:

Doesn't all this bird flu stuff make you think just a little bit about being vegetarian?

Not really as i love meat :)

Nic'n'Keeley said:
lou said:

Yeah I understand, I really miss bacon sandwiches and roast beef but I love animals more alive then dead :wink:

Its just how I feel right now in my life now, I can't say I'll always be vegetarian, you never know.

lou said:

Defo not!! I was brought up on a farm and all this nonsence about things being safe or unsafe to eat annoys the crap out of me!
There is probably more crap on some of the veggies you eat than on a bit of steak or whatever.

SarahH said:
lou said:

Defo not!! I was brought up on a farm and all this nonsence about things being safe or unsafe to eat annoys the crap out of me!
There is probably more crap on some of the veggies you eat than on a bit of steak or whatever.

oi veggies and crap is my favourite dinner :lol:

lou said:
SarahH said:
lou said:

oi veggies and crap is my favourite dinner :lol:

Glad you took it like that as after I posted it I thought to myself ..... mmmm :think: maybe that was a bit harsh!

lou said:
Nic'n'Keeley said:
lou said:

Yeah I understand, I really miss bacon sandwiches and roast beef but I love animals more alive then dead :wink:

Its just how I feel right now in my life now, I can't say I'll always be vegetarian, you never know.

See i think if i never ate meat i would be ok being a vegetarian but cos i've already eaten meat i know what i'd be missing... if that makes sense :oops: :lol:

lou said:

hell no, i love meat! :wink:

seriously though i love animals but i just think back to nature and were higher on food chain so ner ner ne ner ner lol, i try not to think of animals while i'm eating it though

Yeah I know what you both mean. I wouldnt kick off about eating meat or being a veggie. Each to their own and all that. Must admit though when I do see all this bird flu stuff it does make me glad I don't eat it. I also feel really bad for the farmers when stuff like this happens because some get their livelihoods literally get wiped out. How awful, it must be devastating. I saw a programme not so long ago about the foot and mouth outbreak and this one farmer and his wife lost all their animals they had reared for years slaughtered in one day. They were absolutely broken people. Terrible.

Lou :(

Well, the day you can catch any virus which has survived 3.5 hrs at 170°c is the day we all have to run for the hills....... veggies or not!

Bring the turkey on, and I'll have extra sprouts :wink: ..........! :lol: :lol:

Sammystar said:
Well, the day you can catch any virus which has survived 3.5 hrs at 170°c is the day we all have to run for the hills....... veggies or not!

Tell that to the people that have died from CJD!

lou said:
Sammystar said:

Tell that to the people that have died from CJD!

err, CJD isn't a virus.
H5N1 is a virus though.

Sherlock said:
TBH its here to stay I think and we just have to get used to it. Hopefully the public will learn not to panic too much when there is an outbreak. The thing is, usually the media don't help much.

Its been around for ages, there are recorded outbreaks back to the 70's and 80's its just the media never found out so no mass hysteria.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back