Big for dates

Discussion in 'Third Trimester' started by Blossom, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Blossom

Blossom Well-Known Member

Just got back from MW appointment (was booking in for anti-d) and she meausred me and said I'm measuring just over 30cm (apparently it should be 1cm for every week you are?), so I'm therefore big for dates. She's asked me to go back in two weeks for more measurements and if still big then she's sending me for a scan to 'see whats going on in there'.

Anyone else had this? Anything I might need to worry about?

2. paradysso

paradysso Well-Known Member

try not to worry too much, fundal height measurement isnt that accurate.. i was always 3-4cm too big with alana, but i dont think the MW was holding the measuring tape very firmly. this time round the MW really takes her time over it and pulls it really tight so its not measuring my fat too :rotfl: and im bang on for my dates

3. Squiglet

Squiglet Well-Known Member

nope :) Fundal measurements are voodoo.... I'm measuring 33 weeks so my fundal measurment is tiny for being nearly 40 weeks.. ... but my scans at the hospital show that my baby is on the big side... :think: :think: voodoo imo

4. muppetmummy

muppetmummy Well-Known Member

It's not the most accurate way of measuring baby. I was tols James was gonna be almost 8lb and he come out 5lb 15oz.
    I didn't think they bothered with the fundal height thing anymore

5. Tegala-7thMarch08

Tegala-7thMarch08 Well-Known Member

i was big aswell i was messuring 38cm on monday and i had a growth scan and tameron is pritty fat lool but the tape messure thing isnt allways accurate :)

6. Blossom

Blossom Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: voodoo!

Thanks all for that, feel much better! Might lay off the sweeties for a little while though! I have definitely put on much more weight than i would have liked!

7. Full of hope!

Full of hope! Well-Known Member

I was measuring 2 weeks ahead at 28 weeks too but the midwife didn't worry at all! At my next appointment I was measuring spot on :D Don't worry about it, as the others have said it means nothing!

8. KJL

KJL Well-Known Member

My obstetrician doesn't measure me at all, and hardly ever weighs me either. I asked him today about my size as everyone keeps telling me i'm tiny. and he said that it is rarely an indication of baby's health or growth and that everyone is different shapes and sizes.

9. littlepip

littlepip Well-Known Member

seriously dont worry at 24 weeks i was measuring 30 weeks and today at almost 32 weeks im measuring 38 weeks :rotfl:

10. clairescunny55

clairescunny55 Well-Known Member

at 38wks i measured 41, so had scan n he was 8lb 5, i then went 10days over n he was 10lb 7.5oz :shock:

11. DebbieM

DebbieM Well-Known Member

I measure plus 2cm every time too.

12. lisa&alex

lisa&alex Well-Known Member

at my 35 week check i measured 40 weeks.. and a week and 5 days later he was out.. meehehehhe