Big babies

Fiona Heath

Reaction score
Hi all I saw a consultant today, i am 14weeks 4days today, this is baby 5.. baby 3 was big he was 10lb 2oz and his shoulders got stuck for 2mins.
Baby 4 was born fine she was born weighing 8lb 15oz with no problems..
But today the consultant is discussing an elective c section for this one because if baby 3..?? I do not want a c section, why would she say this but it was never spoke of for number 4..??
Anyways does anyone have any advice on how to keep babys weight down safely..? obviously nothing stupid like smoking or drinking etc.. anything safe that wont harm baby..

Hi all I saw a consultant today, i am 14weeks 4days today, this is baby 5.. baby 3 was big he was 10lb 2oz and his shoulders got stuck for 2mins.
Baby 4 was born fine she was born weighing 8lb 15oz with no problems..
But today the consultant is discussing an elective c section for this one because if baby 3..?? I do not want a c section, why would she say this but it was never spoke of for number 4..??
Anyways does anyone have any advice on how to keep babys weight down safely..? obviously nothing stupid like smoking or drinking etc.. anything safe that wont harm baby..
Often big babies are associated with gestational diabetes. Have you had your glucose tested? If you want to keep your baby's weight in the normal range, avoid snacking too much and certainly not at night before bedtime. It can raise your blood sugar and your body won't have enough time to use it, sending a lot of sugar to the baby.
I have had to manage GD this pregnancy by watching what I eat and my baby is perfectly normal in weight. It's not always easy but it's well worth it in the end.x

Hi, iv never had gestational diabetes with any of the kids.. I suffer hypertension in the last couple of weeks but thats it.. got myself quite upset today.

No one can make you have a section.
I’ve had baby 1 at 8lbs 8, baby 2 at 10lbs 1 and baby 3 at 9lbs 6. No one mentioned a section and each time I was tested for diabetes but didn’t have it. I just make big babies. I would do what you normally do and just politely tell them you will not be having a section.

Thank you.. iv had a 7lb 12oz, 8lb 12oz, 10lb 2oz and then a 8lb 15oz.. it was the 10lb the shoulders got stuck for a couple of mins, no mention of a c section for my 4th.. but this time she was talking like this baby is gonna kill me, I need an IV line while in labour as I'm more at risk of heavy bleeding, c section coz of my 3rd, I'm not allowed to pass placenta on my own or something I need an injection otherwise I can bleed out ( iv had an injection with all my kids I thought you was suppose to) shes really made me feel like this baby is going to destroy me :'(

That sounds like they’ve really scared you for no real reason. Everyone has the injection before the placenta is passed
I was at a pretty high risk of having a section with my third, he was found to be breech at 37 weeks so they did an ECV procedure to manually turn him (which worked) but they said it still made a section more likely. Then at 39+2 I went in with my fourth or maybe 5th reduced movement episode. Long story short they scanned me and said all was fine but he was big and wanted to induce me the next day. Got in hospital the next day and turned out they lied so as not to alarm me, apparently everything was fine, heart rate, blood flow etc but on the scan they never saw him move at all so they wanted to get him out. So basically they induced me but said at any moment anything looked dodgy they would section me. So despite all these things no one ever suggested forcing me to actually schedule a section.

so just stand firm and even ask to speak to someone else next time if you want to x

Wow, that's so awful to lie to you like that!! I have to book in with midwife next week so I'm going to bring it up with her and see what she says.. people I have spoken to have said theyd understand if it was the 20week scan but iv had one scan that doesn't show if it's big or not..

Can you not get a second opinion? Obviously if you had one big baby that got stuck you could be in the same situation again. Some doctors will be happy with the risk and let you labour naturally, others will want to take the safe route and plan a c-section. I'd try and speak with another consultant so you have a few opinions on the matter. It will be your choice at the end of the day.

Having a healthy diet is all you can do to keep baby healthy. If they're going to be big they'll be big, it's not something you can control.

Iv had another since the one that got stuck and didnt have any of this.. they just said theyd monitor size with few extra scans and take things day by day.. no c section was mentioned and she came out a small 8lb 15oz with no problems at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back