Big age gaps?

Flips4

Reaction score
Hi I have 2 older boys aged 11 and 9 and am now pregnant with number 3! Has anyone else had a large age gap between children? What challenges did you face? Was it easier second time round? Any tips greatly appreciated :)

We have an 8 year old and a one year old. I found it quite easy to deal with as the 8 year old is old enough to understand that the baby needs lots of time and attention and it was also easy to get them to help me out with baby and now with a toddler! We made sure that when baby was born we made time for just us and the eldest and we still have that time. The youngest goes to bed at 7 and the eldest at 8 so we play games and read for an hour. I think it's very important to include them in what you're doing and let them help anyway they can.

I've got exactly 14 and a half year age gap! Its brilliant they love each other to bits my dd is the one who gets all the smiles from ds even when he's grumpy! She's great with him too. I've made a point of still making time for her though as it can be a hard time being a teen but at least she understands. I do feel bad when I can't pick her up after her evening activities cos ds is in bed and hubby away working, this is our only real problem with a massive gap juggling an 8 month olds routine and 15 year olds social life!

Oh and I've found it harder this time round but ds doesn't do sleep and Im getting old lol!

Thanks for the replies ladies :) I only told my boys that I am pregnant on Friday :) both of them are pleased and excited although my youngest says he doesn't want a little sister because his friend has one and they're annoying lol. I agree I need to make some extra time for each of them individually now more than ever :)

Lol at not wanting a little sister! My nephew really didn't want a sister either but that was what he got! He came round after a few days! Its nice to take them to the scan as well, although when I took dd they asked who was the pregnant one! Not sure who was more horrified me or her!

I was considering taking them to the scan, that or having the monographer write the babies gender onto a piece of paper and placing it in a sealed envelope... Then providing we can cope with the suspense letting the boys open the envelope... Good or bad idea?

Ah that's a nice idea! Its nice to have them at the 20 week scan if everything is going well as well tho makes it so real!

My children are aged 21 ,20 , 14 ,12 and 2 so this bubs completes my half dozen . My first two were in junior school when i decided to start again many of the mums at the school thought i was nuts but it felt right to me. Then my first pair left home I decided again that the time was right so off we went again I wouldn't have wanted my 2 year old to grow up in a sense an only child so it was always on the cards that I would have no.6 to complete the third set of pairs. Being a mum has been my life for over half of my life so it's going to be a tough to call the last orders now but this is and must be my last.
One pitfall I have experanced is that family trips and days out usually tend to be eirther for the older children or the younger ones so you need to plan carefully so that all needs are met fairly ie one trip to the seaside the younger children love the sand and sea but teenagers are soon bored so choose somewhere where there's a fair and the teenagers can go off and entertain themselves and so makes for a nice quite journey home after.
Not sure if it ever gets easier but it is great fun and never boring . All the best xx

Last edited:
Thanks :) I'm really excited I was thinking about holidays etc. I had thought this child would be our last but lots of people have made me think about him or her growing up without a sibling a similar age, guess we will just have to see eh lol xxx

I have a 10 year age gap, most of that 10 years I've been a single parent so it's just been the 2 of us. It's been a bit of a shock to the system parenting wise he is very jealous and very very bossy! You wouldn't think a 10 year old could criticise your parenting but they do!

Lol at not wanting a little sister! My nephew really didn't want a sister either but that was what he got! He came round after a few days! Its nice to take them to the scan as well, although when I took dd they asked who was the pregnant one! Not sure who was more horrified me or her!

This is what I'm worried about having a nearly 14 year old! Especially as I am big and it probably won't be obvious to everyone that I'm pregnant and not just putting on a lot of weight around the middle. I was going to post lot's of full length photos of her on facebook in tight clothes for the next nine months so people won't gossip :-S

I think I'll be coming to you for advice, I am so nervous about the age gap and having a sulky revising teen in the house trying to do exams with a baby/toddler

Between me and my younger brother there is a 9year age gap. My mum said os was easier that way as I was older and cud do alot myself. But me and brother dont get on to well sometimes we often can go weeks with out talking to each other and I really hated it when he came along and got all the attention lol. My mum went on to have 2 other boys and I get on with them fine especiallu the younger one. There is a 13and abit year age gap between us .
Personally I dont think age gaps matter all that much. Brother and sisters are always going to have there differences and parents are always going to have their challenges. :)

This is what I'm worried about having a nearly 14 year old! Especially as I am big and it probably won't be obvious to everyone that I'm pregnant and not just putting on a lot of weight around the middle. I was going to post lot's of full length photos of her on facebook in tight clothes for the next nine months so people won't gossip :-S

I think I'll be coming to you for advice, I am so nervous about the age gap and having a sulky revising teen in the house trying to do exams with a baby/toddler

My dd was 14.5 when ds was born and has been brilliant, she loves having a little brother and she's his favourite person! She won't take him out though incase people think he's hers! And we were asked at my scan who was the one being scanned! Hardest thing was coping with a hormonal teenager and pregnancy hormones! They don't mix well! She can be a bit huffy about helping out round the house but all teens are!

My dd was 14.5 when ds was born and has been brilliant, she loves having a little brother and she's his favourite person! She won't take him out though incase people think he's hers! And we were asked at my scan who was the one being scanned! Hardest thing was coping with a hormonal teenager and pregnancy hormones! They don't mix well! She can be a bit huffy about helping out round the house but all teens are!

Huffy isn't the word for DD and house work lol, she takes blackmail and a lot of it to do anything. And I can see where your coming from with hormones, so far apparently, I'm not interested in her anymore because now I have a new baby, and I was even accused once of trying to drive her out of the house! And this is just the first quarter of the pregnancy lol

Don't worry sunshine we've all heard that old chestnut afew times over and my 14 year old daughter is just brilliant with my two year daughter they have a really special bond and sometimes I don't even get a look in . But another simply brilliant plus is my daughter has said she doesn't want kids of her own til she's at least 35 so she's definitely not following to my footsteps either for which I'm very glad , she's very forcused on a career and I'm so very proud of her .xx

My daughter has said for years she doesn't want kids, and has been even more determined since she became diabetic, I'm sure she may change her mind in the future, but I won't hold my breath!

Well I am currently pregnant with Baby number 4 and I have a 19 year old Son, 16 year old Son and a 12 year old Daughter.

I had my first, Shane, when I was 16 and now I am 36 so I will have a pretty huge age gap. Feels odd being a teenage Mom and now being a pregnant Mom over 35 but hey, stranger things have happened!

Only my 19 year old knows atm and he is a bit freaked out by it lol.

I guess I could actually be a Nan by now and heres me starting all over again, soooo exciting! :D

I am the eldest of 3 girls, with 4.5yrs between me and the middle one, and 14yrs between the youngest. My mum remarried and had the youngest, but we're like best friends. She is only 9 yrs older than my son and they are best buds too. There's always pros and cons to every situation, but I'm sure they'll be fine :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back