Bfing anxieties

Mrsmac1507

Reaction score
I'm planning on bf when lo comes along in a few weeks, but I'm starting to get quite anxious about it. Iv not been able to go to any feeding or antenatal classes due to the nature of my job so feeling pretty clueless. My main concern is not knowing how much babys getting if any - scared he's going to starve or become dehydrated. An I just being ridiculous?
Also getting anxious about feeding in front of others. My oh has huge family and lots of friends who I know will want to spend lots of time with us in the first few weeks- I know I won't want to it in their company so will spend most of the time in another room. How did everyone else experience this?

Hiya :)

I'm ebf and have been for around four months now. I didn't go to any classes but to be honest I got so much help when I was in the hospital just after I had given birth I don't think I would have needed to. They weren't satisfied to let me go home until they knew I was able to feed lo confidently myself. Don't know other people's experiences of this but for me it was excellent!

The first 4-6 weeks are extremely tough with baby constantly feeding day and night so you may want to limit visitors. I don't feed my lo in front of anyone apart from my oh!

Good luck with everything xxx

tapatalking x

It's totally natural to feel like this. Unfortunately there is a big culture in the uk of people who 'can't/couldn't bf'. In reality only 1% of mums can't physically - anything else can be solved.

It's hard not to know exactly what LO is eating, but as long as you have nappies to change that's a very good indicator.

2 things to bear in mind - cluster feeding is normal to start with, - it will seem as though you are constantly feeding -this is LO building your supply and is absolutely essential - it does NOT mean you need to top up.

Feeding infront of people gets easier the more you do it - my top tip is layered t-shirts. - a wee vest that u pull down underneath a top that comes up and you'll be we'll covered.

Anything else that comes up, ask in here. Some very knowledgeable ladies around. A lot recently who reached a year or very very close.

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

Also bf babies poop a lot less than FF babies as the milk is tailored exactly to what they need. So very little waste - so don't panic, up to a week between poos is normal. X

I'm hoping my hospital is as supportive, but i suppose I won't have trouble asking them for help.
Good tip with the vest / top combo never thought about that and of course nappies are an indicator- duh didnt think about that either, I'm being such an idiot.
Just feeling the nerves I guess.

Also bf babies poop a lot less than FF babies as the milk is tailored exactly to what they need. So very little waste - so don't panic, up to a week between poos is normal. X

My baby poops lots and lots lol, at first he pooped after every feed, but now it's once or twice a day - one of them being a poosplosion!

No one can really tell you what will/won't happen because all babies and mummies are different. Try not panic, you'll be fine :) xxx

tapatalking x

Hun find out if there are any BF support groups near you!? And get lansinoh nipple cream. I've used it with all 3 of mine. Put it on from the beginning, before and after every feed!! It's help prevent nipples from getting too sore. Stock up on breast pads. And remember your milk won't come through for first few days which all normal. Keep latching bubs on and you'll both get the hang of it. Prepare to spend first few weeks comfy on your sofa and feeding and bonding with your gorgeous baby! Get OH ready to supply yummy food and cuppas! And limit visitors if you don't feel up to it hun. And don't feel uncomfortable feeding in front of people it's a beautiful thing. Ignore advice on top ups etc and you do tend to get older relatives giving pants advice and questioning demand feeding. You'll be fine honey just get as much support as you need and BF support groups can really help xxx

Thanks I'll have a look for some groups. Iv bought some lasinoh cream and luckily we've recently bought a big new comfy corner sofa- so maybe I'm halfway there, ha.

My baby poops lots and lots lol, at first he pooped after every feed, but now it's once or twice a day - one of them being a poosplosion!

No one can really tell you what will/won't happen because all babies and mummies are different. Try not panic, you'll be fine :) xxx

tapatalking x

I just meant that a lack of poop in a bf baby is not an indication that something's wrong. Folk can worry if a LO doesn't have a dirty nappy for a few days.

I'm planning on bf when lo comes along in a few weeks, but I'm starting to get quite anxious about it. Iv not been able to go to any feeding or antenatal classes due to the nature of my job so feeling pretty clueless. My main concern is not knowing how much babys getting if any - scared he's going to starve or become dehydrated. An I just being ridiculous?
Also getting anxious about feeding in front of others. My oh has huge family and lots of friends who I know will want to spend lots of time with us in the first few weeks- I know I won't want to it in their company so will spend most of the time in another room. How did everyone else experience this?

You will learn to know. Wet nappies, the fact that they outgrow their clothes, the puking! One thing you are going to have to let go of is the wanting to know how much they've drunk. You'll never know. And remember, what you may or may not be able to express is absolutely no indication of the amount they might be drinking.

As for breastfeeding in front of people, last time I did it just about, but it was more I couldn't in front of my dad cos he didn't want me too. I used to feed in their bedroom. This time I'm refusing. I can't disappear for that length of time, I feel it'll be unfair to my toddler, so I've bought a cover this time. I'm hoping my dad will be ok with that.

When the baby is latched on there's honestly nothing to see, it just can be a bit tricky in the early days to get them on discreetly!! But I promise you, you will end up a pro and will more than likely be able to breastfeed absolutely anywhere, while walking, standing, sitting, all without exposing yourself to the world :)
----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

It is total normal to have these worries
before lo is born.

Lots of great information from the other ladies.

I totally recommend the vest top to pull down and other to pull up, this is what I do and it is so much easier.

If you are worried about feeding in front of others then disappear upto your bedroom and feed. I did this in the early weeks when I had visitors as it gave my privacy and also time with lo to just have her to myself :)
Eventually you will gain confidence and start to feed more publicly. I still use a scarf when I feed out and about but it is a lot easier now than when M was little.

Pop into your local bfing support group before you have lo and then go when lo arrives. If anything it will get you out of the house and meeting other mummies :)

Good luck and if there is ever a question there are lots of bfing mummies who can help.

xx

Lots of great advice. Everything seems so daunting before LO arrives, I remember asking my mum ridiculous questions, panicking about what I do with the baby when I need a wee etc but everything falls into place and you'll be amazed at your instincts :)

Hopefully you will receive plenty of support when the time comes. I don't feed infront of anyone except hubby and my mum. In the early days, and even now I love escaping when hubby's family are here for the weekend! It's an amazing feeling knowing you are the only person who can breast feed your baby and its lovely to just sit quietly with him/her and shut everyone else away. I know that sounds so selfish but you will need breaks from visitors for your own sanity so it's the perfect excuse!x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back