Bf - how long for a feed??

l_maclean

Reaction score
Georgia seems to be kind lazy just now. She'll open her mouth well enough, but a couple of sucks and then she just lies there holding it.

Have been expressing colostrum and using a syringe, but I worry this makes her lazy (dunno if that's a stupid worry at 1day old).

Thing is obviously I dunno how much she's getting - but any advice on how long I should let her sit if she doesn't seem to be sucking.

How long did your LOs take to do a feed before proper milk came in??

Xxx

Just put your feet up and let her suck! It'll male ur milk come in. I thunk I spent my first month glued to the sofa.

Grab some bottles of water the remote and a box of choccies abd forget about anything else (cleaning, cooking etc that's OHs job now!) make visitors come to you if you can when I asked my midwife a similar question she said that she thought it was natures way of making your rest after having a baby! (I'm not suggesting you have to do this for a month solid btw!)

Just relax and enjoy :)

Congratulations! Think i missed your labour thread. Pinkys right you need to spend the next few days or weeks letting her suckle as much as possible. I hardly did a thing for a month just enjoyed those first cuddles. She's not lazy just learning, took Kynon a couple of days so I was spooning some into his mouth. Your milk will come in around day 4 x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Just obviously dunno if she's getting any, and she's so placid just now, that I don't wanna jump to expressed if she's still trying, but don't wanna make her wait for hours if it's too much to expect of her iykwim. Xxx

Congrats. I have got a Georgia too/ great name! She only needs a coUple of teaspoons and she will be getting what she needs. Strip her down to her nappy to wake her up for a feed if you need to. Plus do some skin to skin time with her. As people have said relax nature knows what it is doing so just let it take it's course.

Thanks. Been doing skin to skin a fair bit in hospital. Not so much today in the rush for getting home, plus my parents are up this weekend (their 3hrs away - but DH thought I'd need my mum, lol) so its a bit busy.

But I'm sure we'll get there. Xxx

I didn't even think about what Tyler was getting and just let him get on with it :) just relax she knows what she needs

Def agree with the other girls, she is learning what to do so just ler her stay ad long as she needs. It is worrying at first not being able to measure how much she is getting but you will soon both learn the cues that say she's finished or that she wants some more. Congratulations btw :yay: x

Not that I've gad my LO yet but did have a 3 hour breastfeeding class with an NCT councillor this week and to put it in perspective she held up a marble to demonstrate that babies in first few days/first week only need 7-8ml of milk/colostreum- which is the size of a marble.

Maybe that'll also put your mind at ease a little? Xx

Thanks, everyone. I did remember about the marble. Xxx

Massive congrats on the arrival of Georgia....lovely name, well done you :) what the girls said is all true, she will be getting what she needs and just lying her next 2 u/on your boob helps your milk come in. Deffo rest, enjoy feeding her and don't worry about how much (if u bf for a long time it'll get easier not worrying when u c then growing and getting heavier each week).
The old mantra is true: Calm mummies=calm babies and with bf-ing it's deffo important not to worry or stress too much. U r doing a grand job and enjoy her when she is so little. Fin is 9 weeks now and no way a newborn and I miss his cute tininess already :) xxx

Congrats on you LO!x

One thing antenatal class told me was their stomachs are very small when newborn. I'm sure she is getting enough. She would let you know if she wasn't, I'm sure. I had the same concerns. Breast feeding is hard cos you can't see how much they actually drink. But sounds like you are doing a fab job.xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back