BF expressing toxins?

trixipaws

Reaction score
i read somewhere that if BF women want the occasional few drinks, they can express the contaminated milk then continue to safely BF their babies.

does anyone kno anything about this? how long does it take for toxins to contaminate ur milk, how long do they stay in the milk, when to express and how much u need to express?

im not that desperate for a drink or anything, i just wanna do my teeth! (i spent £400 on a bleaching kit last year, only to find i was pregnant within a week- the stuff is sitting upstairs unused and i still dont hav california teeth!)

i cant remember where i read it to learn more, and im not gonna try it unless i kno EXACTLY what im doing so that its safe. if no-one can advise me i shall just wait until millies on formula or fully weaned but if anyone can it would be nice if i could do it and make myself feel pretty.

i don't know the answer really, but when i went out thursday night, I expressed off the 2am feeds worth, and I think they say 1 unit per hour is how long it takes to get rid of alcohol before driving, not sure if it's the same with feeding?? I fed him myself on the 7am feed and he didnt seem overly sleepy or any different from any other day. i'd had about 6 or 7 units and started at 830, stopped drinking about 10 and went onto coke and orange juice until i got home at half 12 :)

There is some good information on the Breastfeeding Network website about alcohol and breast feeding.
www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk although I think there is a problem with the site at the moment. I have tried to bring up the info and paste it here with no joy.

They basically say that if taken in moderatoin, there is no need to pump and dump breast milk. As alcohol levels in the body fall, the alcohol level also falls in breast milk. I had always presumed that the alcohol sat in breast milk and did not decrease with time. My baby is now 16 weeks and I have on 2 occassions had a couple of glasses of wine without expressing and dumping the milk. I have only had some wine as my baby now goes down at 1930 and does not waken until 1am so if I have a glass of wine during this time, I am confident that this small amount will have been excreted.

I have had the odd glass of wine ..i try and have it just after i have fed him but i think he knows and always starts demanding when i have a glass of wine in my hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back