Being tested by LOs

TORino

Reaction score
Any mums to 12 month plus babies - how are you getting on with the setting of boundaries and rules etc?

My kid is having meltdowns on a daily basis when I tell her no.

:shock:

I knew she was a feisty one but I wasn't prepared for this!!

Today for instance, she kept going in the hallway and messing with the pushchair and it almost tipped on her. So I shut the door and told her no. She kept opening the door and trying to get out again and I said no again - cue tears, throwing herself on floor, screaming etc

Then I tried to distract her and she was having none of it. I was almost tempted to let her back in there and remove the pushchair :shock: she's trying to break me lol.

It happens a few times a day. I try to avoid the situation in the first place, she has a penchant for medicines/bum cream/chemicals - anything she's not allowed basically. These cause meltdowns too when I remove them.

How do you deal with this?

I found the best way was to ignore the tantrum. Either let her have the tantrum or if you are out and about just pick her up and continue on with what you are dping and don't talk to her. She will soon realise that you won't give into her and that it won't get her any attention. Its hard to do but does work x

Aah Torino you know I could of just written this thread myself

Harry's tantrums can be pretty impressive at times- he's obsessed with going outside so when he shows me the door and I said no.... Well it's full on. He lies down on his front with his head between his hands and cries.... Until he realises no one is doing anything them he gets up

But sometimes I give in cos he's a little heartbreaker!!

I am tryin to ignore the naughty stuff but I feel like I'm permanently saying "no Harry don't swing on that" or "mo Harry don't keep putting gravel down the drains outside"
Or my favourite so far "don't eat soil Harry!!"

So I have no useful stuff for you!!!

H is quite easy going generally so I'm lucky but he can have some proper strops, normally revolving around the garden which is a bugger as we are having an extension built and can't get to our garden.
We just ignore him, he stops within a minute or two, he gives up very easily! Lol!
Xxx

Lol naughty toddlers!

H is exactly the same. She actually showed me up at the park the other day as she did not want to get back into her pram. She turned into a plank of wood and would not bend so I could strap her in. I got kicked in the face and slapped!

I did the complete wrong thing by nervously chuckling (people where watching) and now ive totally made a rod for my own back as she thinks its now funny to hit me in the face!

Doh!

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

If I tell Alice no and she has a meltdown, I just ignore it. She's learnt now that mummy means what she says and her tantrums don't last very long now. Dh isn't so good at ignoring tho, Alice has him wrapped around her little finger!

So I'm not alone then?! Lol.

It's got even harder this mummy business :rotfl:

I find it funny sometimes as well, bad mummy!

We have meltdowns on daily basis now. His favourite word is NO. Full blown tantrums with kicking scteaming and throwing himself on the floor. The only saving grace that he is easy to distract. But hugs hun, its really hard.
As i have a newborn, I.have learnt to pick my.battles

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

I'm afraid to say the older they get the harder it gets lol x

I haven't had any experience of it myself.

However, one of the techniques that has been recommended for me to do by other mums who's kids have DS is to use "stop" instead of no, and instead of saying "don't do that" to use a positive instead such as "I would like you to ... " Whether this works is different thing. Just thought I'd put it out there

DS brings behavioural problems, so I've got it all coming and I'm scared!

I just say no and try not to react too much to the meltdown. I don't ignore her though especially if she's very upset. I generally give her a cuddle and say 'oh, no,.. it's very upsetting when you can't do something that seems like so much fun, isn't it? Why don't we do something else that we CAN do?'

She tends to get over things quite quickly so we've not had a huge issue so far. I've also had to adjust my attitude a bit too. V is very curious and wants to explore everything and I have decided that unless what she is doing is actively dangerous or very messy I'm not going to say 'no'. It's just her nature to try everything out at this age and trying to reign her in too much would probably be quite tiring and counter-productive for us both :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back