Being induced because baby is measuring big?

Summergurl

Reaction score
Evening guys.
Had a growth scan today and baby is measuring on the large side. They want to check again in a couple of weeks & if baby still is growing at the same rate then they'll look at induction.

I'm just wondering has anybody else on here experienced this & wana share their story?

Xx

Do you have GD? If you have GD it could be a reason to consider induction. If not I'm not convinced there is a good reason for it. There was mention of induction with my 1st who was 9bls 5oz but I didnt think it was a good enough reason. Big babies run in the family so it was hardly a surprise. I had a lovely home birth and a long labour but no mayjor problems. I had 4cstitches. My second was 11lbs! We knew he was going to be large but I admit that was a bit if a shock. I had actually decided not to have a growth scan near the end with him because decided it would only confirm he was big and worry everyone. Again it was a home birth and that time I didnt even get a single stitch.

This is an article I found recently, it is an intresting read:
http://evidencebasedbirth.com/evidence-for-induction-or-c-section-for-big-baby/

Last edited:
I completely agree with Bunny.

My friend is tall but average size (10/12) and her last baby was 11lb. Born naturally, and a home birth as far as I know.

Anyway, there's a lot of anecdotal evidence of growth scans being out - saying baby will be big and then when they are born they are just average.
Also there is the opinion that, with the exception of overly large babies due to GD, your body doesnt grow a baby so big it can't birth it.

I like this video from Ican https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw5hYjxajN4

At the end of the day it's your call xx

No I don't have GD. I was tested and perfectly normal. The only risk factor I have is that my Bmi is high but everything has been plain sailing so far! I'll have a look at the link & video now, thanks ladies X

Yeah I am also having a growth scan for high bmi but I also don't have GD and I will certainly be refusing any kind of induction even if baby is measuring big! I had a 7lb baby last time and my current partner to this baby is short and was a little baby, as was I so I don't see why my baby would be big to be honest, that's my decision lol xx

I can't tell you how many times I've heard of babies "measuring big," then being induced or delivered via csection because of it, and then coming out at like 6-7 lbs. it's such a load of bullsh*t. Honestly, they are usually incredibly off with these growth scans. I am sure unless you have GD (which you don't!) your body is growing the right sized baby for your body.

Induction is very serious. We don't know why babies are born when they are born, but the body knows when the time is right. It's criminal that there are this many unnecessary interventions when the process is already normal and perfect. Furthermore we don't know the long-term effects of these induction drugs on babies.

Not saying induction and interventions have no good place- they can be life-savers, but they should also be absolute last resorts in true emergencies.

I am consultant led due to high BMI had my 32 week growth scan today, and baby is measuring at around 5pounds. The consultant wants another scan at 36 weeks, but wants me to follow a diet suitable for someone with GD even though I haven't got it to see if I can reduce the expected size of baby. She didn't mention early induction, but that might change at 36 weeks!

My 1st son was born at 9lb 8.5oz. My 2nd was predicted to be 9lb 14oz !! I told them I did not want to be induced as my 1st experience wasn't great. Was offered a sweep at 39 weeks he was born 2 days later at 8lb 1oz !x

Following this post as I have to have a growth scAn also at 28 weeks. I'm carrying another boy and both my boys before have been big. 1st 9.2 2nd 9.13. If measuring big I am pushing for induction as my last birth was so bad. Baby's shoulders got stuck because he was so big. He was also born with strep b another reason I want induced. To make sure they have time to give me the anti biotic incase this baby has the same X

They gave me a sweet at 39 weeks. Luckily it worked as I didn't want to be induced. They would have induced me at 40 weeks. But I did say that I'd refuse it as I had bad experience 1st time round. Have they said how big they think baby will be ? X

No they've just booked me in for another scan and said well see if baby is still growing at that rate. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back