Being ill and looking after a baby - hard work

minikins

Reaction score
Blimey what a week I have had.

I have been very poorly and had the hardest week of my life.

I have had gastric flu and Dom had his jabs in between that time so was grouchy too. I could not cope with looking after him on my own as I was so ill both ends and then so weak my milk nearly dried up so I started to wean.

My hubby was great he took time off from work to help, but it's scary being so ill when you have a little one to look after, it's almost like you can't be ill. I could not sleep or anything as I will ill, Dom was ill and then my hubby was ill. When you can't pick up your baby in case you vomit it's not nice. In the end I was so bad I had to stay with my mum. I don't know what to do if I was a single parent.

In a way it has put me off having another baby (I wanted one asap), as it's such a hard situation to be very ill and your baby still needs you, you can't take time off. So I have decided to wait a while longer before we try for another baby.

Before when I have been ill, it's been easy as you can just suit yourself and hide under the duvet, but not now.

I am so glad I am well again, I was feeling guilty for being a crap mother as I could not get out of bed - these hormones are crazy. Anyway all is well but I wondered if any of you have been very poorly with a new born - I don't mean a little cold but something that really keeps you in bed etc??

And I thought my week was bad!!!! :shock:
Poor you that must have been soooo awful. I haven't had that unfortunate experience thank god but just wanted to sympathise you must have had a terrible time and to feel guilty on top of being so ill is the last thing you need.... Anyway am glad you are feeling much better x

Aw you poor thing minikins sounds like youve had a rough week!
I know how you mean thou, it is extremly difficult to look after a baby when your ill, like you say its like you CANT be ill!!!
Well i havent suffered as bad as you but one night a couple weeks ago i suddenly developed a terrible migraine, was being sick, feeling dizzy, a headache which literally felt like my head was going to explode! and i just could not do anything but lie in bed as i felt sooooo awful. thank god my partner was home to look after jamie as i really dont know what i would have done! like you said if i was a single parent then wow i really would have struggled!!

Anyway glad you are better now x x

That is horrible Minikins - poor you.

It did occur to me very early on how awful it would be to be poorly when looking after a newborn - this was when my hormones were raging and Maddie (therefore I) wasn't sleeping.

The closest I've come is having mastitis - basically I had full-blown flu-like symptoms - high fever, shivering, awful headache, sore throat - felt like I couldn't get out of bed. And of course the most excrutiating pain in my breast. I had to keep feeding her from the affected side and I cried like a baby myself!

I then got it a week later on my other side, but luckily I was at my parents at the time so they just let me stay in bed and kept bringing me Maddie whenever she needed feeding! It was horrible, but on both occasions, the antibiotics cleared it very quickly and within 48 hours the flu-like symptoms had subsided.

It is definitely horrible being ill because as you say you can't just hide under the duvet and lick your wounds - you're forced to get up and the little poppet doesn't understand that you're not well.

I'm so glad you're feeling better now.

LBxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back