being held

beanie5

Reaction score
for a few weeks now my LO will only sleep during the day if she's being held, so thats what i've been doing. however- do they grow out of this or at some point should i start actively trying to get her to nap in her cot? i'm thinking that when she starts actually being awake in the day it'll sort itself out?

Our LO is the same during the day. We generally wait until she's asleep enough to put her down in her carrycot or crib. I'm sure it's something they will grow out of - at 4-6 weeks they're generally meant to be more 'clingy' due to the developmental phase they're going through x

My lo is 7 months and mainly naps on me in the day. He has had phases where I can put him in his bouncy chair and he'll stay asleep but at the moment if I put him down he'll just wake up after a few minutes. He would very rarely sleep in his Moses basket and he didn't like being in his crib in the day. So unfortunately some babies don't grow out of it! I think I need to try and put him in his cot in the day but to be honest I love cuddles when he's sleeping xx

Hi well with my first I loved to hold him whilst he slept and always held him in the day when he wanted to sleep, however I ended up with a baby who would never sleep alone in cot and at 8 months ended up co-sleeping.... He is now 2 and still in my bed!! With my third I started putting him down to nap as soon as possible so he got used to it and he would stay in his cot to sleep from a early age........however he is now 8 months and guess what?? We co-sleep as he wakes 4-6 times a night wanting a cuddle!!! So guess what I'm saying is just go with the flow and do whatever works for you as whatever way in tried it mine always end up in with me but that might just be my non-sleeping children!!!! Lol

My LO was the same. I used to use a hot water bottle to warm the cot first and that worked :)

Not sure how old your lo is but I'd try putting them down as much as possible but picking up again if they wake and/or cry. It's difficult as you want them to sleep but also don't want to form 'bad' habits? I love my lo falling asleep on me and do sometimes let him nap on me if he's teething or poorly but I do make myself put him in his cot so he knows sleep is what happens in there. Totally your decision though, everyone's parenting style is different and there's no right or wrong :)

My LO was the same. I used to use a hot water bottle to warm the cot first and that worked :)

We do this at night and it helps our LO go down straight away once she's asleep after a feed :)

she's 7w tomorrow, she'll sleep in the crib at night with the hot water bottle trick, will try putting her into the cot during the day for the next couple of days and see if i can get her to settle. just worry that she'll end up overtired because she hasn't slept enough, i guess if it doesn't start to work then i can go back to just holding her (or getting the sling out permanently!)

My little girl is 8 months and has only just started having naps during the day. Now that I am pregnant again it's really uncomfortable to cuddle her while she sleeps. Instead what I started doing is take her up to bed and lie cuddling her. Now she is happy to just lie down alone and nods off! I do miss sleepy cuddles though!

My son is 2.5yrs now but I wish I could go back and tell myself to relax about trying to get my son to sleep in his cot for the first 7.5 months of his life. I spent hours trapped in a dark room (often on the verge of tears) as my son woke up at 27 mins without fail, every single time I tried putting him down and he never once resettled - whereas in the sling or on me he'd take a full nap.

I believed that if I didn't try to get him to sleep in his cot, he'd never 'learn' but what actually ended up happening was my son was always short of sleep and it made life horrible. Low & behold the day he learned to roll at 7.5mo, he slept alone and took a proper nap - when HE was good and ready. I really do not subscribe to the bad habits mantra now. How many 15 year olds do you know that can only sleep being held?! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back