Been to the Docs

Kim

Reaction score
Hi all

I have just been to the doctors for the first time since I found out I was pregnant. I was surprised he didnt do a test, but he said a positive home test is fine.

He said he would send a letter to the hospital for an appointment at the antenatal clinic, but he also booked me in for an antenatal appointment with him for 2 weeks time, does anyone know what will happen at this one?

Any info appreciated, it's my first pregnancy and dont know what to expect!!

Hiya!
I went to the doctors then they gave a emma's diary book and told me to make an appointment with the midwife, she then starts you up a booklet you will keep with your throughout pregnancy you take it everywhere, they dont do any test or anything.
My midwife then had to come visit my home to check it out and finish off your paper work. She or you will have to send off this form that entitles you to free dental treatment and prescriptions. Basically thats about it for a while I think next I had my blood tests and they listened for a heartbeat at week 11. Check out my journal listed below ive put on there all of my appointment so far, there pretty much the same as most people will get other than some don tget the 12 week scan
Cat x

I had my first proper midwife appointment on Friday (previously I'd just gone to the Drs who took my blood pressure and asked if I smoked and told me not to eat too much- he gave me the phone number of the midwive unit). Basically she spent an hour going through my medical history and filling in the booklet that Catherine is talking about that you take with you to all future appointments. They took three vials of blood to test for my blood type, various diseases (Hep B, Rubella etc) and for anemia and I gave a urine sample that they'll use to test for possible infection and or signs of any other problem (diabetes I imagine and later on pre-eclampsia). She took my blood pressure and that was about it. Next time (when I'm about 14 weeks) they will listen to the heartbeat, I have to take another sample and they'll have my blood test results.

Oh and I got a huge pack of advertising as well!

I think it varies all over the place as does the kind of maternity care you get. I don't get a 12 week scan you see :x

No one else has tested me at all. I'm telling everyone this week and I said to my husband earlier "What if I'm not pregnant after all?" He reminded me that I'd done three positive pregnancy tests, not had AF since Feb, have had morning sickness, extreme fatigue and then patted my quite rounded tummy and said "Of course you're pregnant silly!" It just seems all unreal!

+++

Yeah i think its really crazy they dont test you! I thought that
maybe i was but its gone a way lol. Even when they done the heartbeat I thought theres probably nothing there lol.
They go through so much they must come across loads of people that arnt actually pregnant! they dont even ask how many tests youve done lol. I had done only 2 very faint ones but on my first appoinment i done another and was definitely positive!
Youd think theyd just have a batch of cheepy pregnancy test to cover them too, so odd! lol

Thanks for the replies

Seems every area and every doctor is defferent!! I feel the same, like there may have been a mistake and I'm not actually pregnant. I know it sounds irrational but I truly believe that I will get into the scan and they will say there's nothing there. I'm normally a very sensible person and know that there's no way it can be a mistake (I have taken 5 tests, all BFP) but when it comes to this I just feel like I've lost all rational thoughts. I keep thinking that it might have disappeared (hence all the tests!!) When I told the Doc how many tests I had done he looked at me like I was crazy!!!

Hi all!

I will be having my first scan on Thursday, and I am so nervous, like you have mentioned I am worried that there won't be anything there or worst of all the baby isn't alive. I know I am being so paranoid but I think it is because we (well I do!) seem to home in on all the negative stories and forget that millions of women around the world have uncomplicated and healthly babies all the time! I just want everything to be ok.

My husband says not to be silly and everything is gonna be ok, and at times I feel that it is, but then I get my freak out moments!

Roll on Thursday!!!

Sarah x

Hi Girls

It's like seeing my own thoughts in print. I had very very few symptons and convinced that the 4 pregnancy test were wrong and I'd go into the scan and be laughed out of the place. Well guess what? I had the scan and I saw my baby and it's real and no-one could've been more doubtful than me! I have a kicking little 12 week old inside me who seems perfectly content to be trampolining around my insides.

My husband did the reassuring thing with me too but once you see it on screen well that's it really - all your doubts subside!

You're all pregnant. Enjoy!!

H

Hi Happy!

Congrat's! on your little one, I hope to be feeling just like you in 50 hours or so (not that I am counting or anything!!) LOL! Once I have seen baby inside me I think I will be able to concentrate on the next stages of the pregnancy....... I haven't really even thought about the labour yet!

Sarah x

Hi all

What about me I've got over 7 weeks to wait til I have a scan!!

Arrrgggg!!!!!!!

All this waiting is killing me, at first it was wait for O, then wait to test, now it's wait for scan, what did us women ever do to deserve this??!!

Listen to me I should be grateful that I am pregnant, and I am, honest, I just worry too much :wink:

It still seems unreal to me, even though I had a scan last Monday and saw a little blob with a fluttering heart, it didn't seem like my insides on the screen. I am hoping my 12 week scan will seem more real, I think maybe it's almost a defense mechanism so that if something happens I won't have been too attached as it never seemed real - roll on the next few weeks :)

At least you get a 12 week scan! I'm just waiting for my next appointment in four weeks time when they'll listen for the heartbeat- apart from that I've got 8 weeks to go until I see it :cry:

Thats really sad Rosebay, I bet you can't wait to see it. I wonder why they only give you the one? Skinflints!!

Yep! I live in Bristol- they said that most women know when their last period was these days so they don't need to do the dating scan (to save money). I have to say that everything else here so far has been exceptionally good though- I really feel looked after and as aware of what I can expect from the service etc and I guess that's the most important thing. It would just have been cool to have been reassured by a picture as I can't believe that it's actually happening somehow- especially now that my symptoms have evened out a bit! I've spent the last three days telling everyone and I keep thinking "Oh my God what if I'm not!"

+++

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back