Been offered a sweep...

Zoziebubly

Reaction score
On the 4th June. Think I may take her up on that. feeling really heavy and slow now.

Who's had a stretch and sweep? Did it hurt??

Xx

I had one at home today. I'll be honest I really wasn't looking forward to it, and it's not pleasant. I just took deep breaths through it and I'm alive to tell the tale ;-)

I would actually really recommend it, even after being so terrified of my appt today. I'm 41+2 and I decided to go with it mainly because I wanted to see what was going on in there. Tuns out she could tell me I'm 1cm dilated, could stretch to 2cm, my cervix is wherre it should be and has thinned out. She also tickled his head and was able to tell me that the membranes are really tight across his head.

So basically she thinks i'll go into labour on my own, but I'm booked in for an induction on Friday anyway. I'm glad I at least know where I stand and I was beginning to think my body wasn't doing anything at all but seemingly everything's going hunky dory!

It does sting when I pee now, and I instantly had period cramps which have kind of gone now, and I have got a light pink watery type bleeding going on, but nothing to worry about and I'm monitoring it.

So all in all, I would definitely recommend even if it's to find out what stage you body is at.

Finally, just remember that even though I recommend it, it's not necessarily right for everyone and you have every right to decline if you want to. They cannot make you have one.

Sorry for the long post, but my experience is still fresh in my mind so thought I'd share!!!

x

That's really good honest advice thank you. I'm gonna go for it I think.
Xx

I had two with my little boy, they are u comfortable but if your over your due date they can help so it's worth a try :) altho I won't be having one this time as the last one sent me Into heavy contractions every ten minutes for 5 days! It was hell so I said I'd only have one once I'm well overdue! Gona try and avoid it tho :) x

They can only perform a S&S successfully if conditions are favourable.

This is why they don't do them until 41w at the hospital we were with (as they feel this is the most beneficial time, most women will either have gone naturally by then or be able to have a successful S&S)

I didn't have one, by the time I went in I was already in labour so I only ever had examinations which I imagine are similar?

S&S do not interfere with bub as they won't do it if they can't iykwim?

xxxxxxxxx

I've been offered one tomorrow at my 38 week appointment tomorrow ( due to previous circumstances they are Concerned to help in any way with emotional support and going over due etc) however I'm not going to take them up on it, it sounds horrendous! I'm going to wait it out a bit longer lol

Last edited:
Robyner i think your doing the right thing, they are only ideal once your body is overdue, baby is pushing right down and it just helps to bring things on. I wouldn't have one til I was at least a week over this time as it caused nothing but trouble with my son! X

Thanks Hun. I'm so hoping things will just happen on their own at the right time. I've got loads of social things on until the week before my due date LOL so my ideal is to come on due date, no poking, prodding and intervention needed and the brand new birthing pool to be available. Is this asking too much do you think?

no way, why cant we have everything happen just as we want it?!!! haha x

I had 3 S&S in the same week.
For me it was painful and unpleasant. I had my first on the Monday then 2 on the Thursday, I was early stages of Labour so the idea was it would get things moving. If I have another I won't bother with having one if I'm honest.

xx

This is going to sound silly, but in a way I'm glad to hear others say that it's painful and uncomfortable, as so many times I've been made to feel unusual about my feelings. I've never had a sweep, but I really don't cope with internals and nearly everyone will tell me they don't feel anything and its no problem. I'm always so envious and wonder why it hurts me and bothers me so much.I don't doubt what they are saying, I just wish it was like this for me.

Last edited:
This is going to sound silly, but in a way I'm glad to hear others say that it's painful and uncomfortable, as so many times I've been made to feel unusual about my feelings. I've never had a sweep, but I really don't cope with internals and nearly everyone will tell me they don't feel anything and its no problem. I'm always so envious and wonder why it hurts me and bothers me so much.I don't doubt what they are saying, I just wish it was like this for me.

I'm another one who found the sweep painful and hates internals! When I was in labour I was using the gas and air for my internals they were that bad!

It depends on so much, everyone's pain threshold is different, baby might be lying in different positions and also the person doing the sweep. My sister had two with different MWs, the first was fine cos she took her time etc. The second was painful cos the mw was a lot rougher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back