Been far too long but wanted to introduce my princess

TaffyRose1

Reaction score
Well my little tinker is now 13 weeks old (where the hell did that go!?!) and I have been checking in here on you all but not had a chance to really contribute.

So just to bring things up to date my team yellow bubba (who turned out to be team pink :) ) was born on 20/10/14, 1 day before my due date. I had been desperately walking up hills and bouncing on my birthing ball trying to get things started but typically when it did get started I changed my mind and decided I needed a few more days - aaaarrrgh!

Contractions started in the evening on the 19th, they weren't overly painful and were about every 20 or so minutes. I kept on the move to try and keep them going but by about 1am I decided I had to go to bed and either they'd stop or ramp up. I remember dreaming I was in pain so the contractions continued but not enough to keep me awake.

Then about 6am I shook my OH awake as I woke up and realised I was leaking (lovely) and I was still having contractions. That was how my labour with Max started so I realised things were happening. I had originally wanted a home birth, but our boiler decided to pack up (great timing) so I decided to go to our local birthing centre.

Anyway things weren't happening too quickly so I made a cup of tea and we started to wake our 2 year old up and let my mum know we'd be dropping him up to hers in the next couple of hours. At exactly 8am I was sat on the sofa when I felt a pop and water gushed down my legs. It was quite a shock as I had hardly any waters with Max and certainly no gush. My OH kept making me laugh which just kept making the waters gush! With that my contractions really ramped up and as my son was born within 4 hours of us getting to the hospital we decided not to hang around and dropped my son at my mums and made our way to the birthing centre.

It was lovely, I honestly would recommend the environment to anyone. The midwives were lovely and just let us do what we wanted. I wanted a water birth and there was a lovely big birthing pool. My OH put the iPod on and he held me and helped me through contractions. Things then really started to speed up and we asked for the birthing pool to be filled. I was still fully dressed at this point. Suddenly I had a huge contraction and so much pressure. I told the midwife either I needed the toilet or I was going to push. She said to try the toilet and I could tell she thought I was over egging things a bit as we'd only been there just over an hour! I could hear my OH saying to the midwives that this happened with our son and if I say I'm pushing, I'm pushing! Meanwhile I was sat on the toilet when I realised I was actually pushing! They got me on the bed and my OH grabbed my leggings and knickers off me. I got on all fours on the bed and suddenly heard the midwife say in shock 'I can see the top of your baby's head'! I hadn't had any pain relief at all and it didn't look like there would be any time for any! I started pushing and made sure I controlled them as much as possible as I really didn't want to tear. 20 minutes later my beautiful baby girl was born into the world, exactly 1hr 42mins after we arrived at the birthing centre!

We were team yellow and it was such a special moment to find out it was a girl. She seemed so tiny but was 8lb exactly. I turned around so she could be put on my chest and she immediately found my nipple and started feeding. I had 2 midwives, one was a student and she was quite emotional how quickly it had all happened. She fed for an hour on and off (although to be honest I think she was just enjoying mummy cuddles) then I gave her to my OH for cuddles while I turned back onto all fours and delivered the placenta naturally. Got checked over - no tears - phew! I then had the best cup of tea I'd ever tasted in my life and some lunch while OH rang our very excited family.

We decided to leave the birthing centre as I wanted to get our son and get home so we left about 3.30. Max wasn't really bothered about his baby sister to be honest although she became more appealing when he was given a fire engine from her :)

We had a list of girls names but none suited her so decided to give ourselves 24 hours to decide, which drove our families insane.

We had to go back to the birthing centre the next day as she had 100% tongue tie just like Max did so we had that snipped. On the way there I decided we had to decide on a name and after much discussion we decided on Annabelle Kate (Belle to her friends :) ) It suits her perfectly and we get lots of comments on how pretty it is.

Having 2 little monsters is crazy, but great fun and Max is an amazing big brother and Belle finds him absolutely hilarious, he always gets the biggest smiles and giggles.

We did have one more hurdle however as when Belle was just under a week old I was holding her and I started to feel concerned about her breathing. We took her straight to a&e where we found that her oxygen levels were low and they found she had bronchilitis. Although this can be serious in small babies the nurses comforted us by saying they will see 1000's of babies with is over the winter and a few days on oxygen she'd be right as rain. Please always trust your instincts mummies, you know if something is wrong! But there was more to come as a routine chest X-ray to check her heart and lungs found that her heart points to the right not the left! It was at this point I feel apart thinking my baby had something seriously wrong! We were told however that as no heart defects could be seen this is not necessarily a problem but Belle had to have scans to see if her other vital organs were in the right place or also a mirror image. After 5 days of worry we found that Belle's organs are in fact a mirror image of what you and I have, it is called Dextrocardia Situs Inversus. So her liver and bowel are reversed and even her left lung is her right lung and right lung, the left. Because they are all reversed she is completely healthy and there is no reason she will have any problems, apart from maybe being more susceptible to chest infections. The crazy thing is we wouldn't even know if she hadn't got poorly! So my little girl is a 1 in 12,000 baby!

Here's some photos of the little tinker, including at her very speedy birth, in hospital poorly and the healthy cheeky girly she is now xxxx

Last edited:
She is so beautiful! Wishing for a birth like yours lol! Congrats xx

Gorgeous! Sounds like a fabulous birth and what a tale to tell her friends! Xx

Oh Taffy, she is gorgeous! Massive congrats, so pleased for you. Belle is a beauty :)

Oh wow congratulations taffy, Belle is gorgeous and can't believe she is 13 weeks old now. She certainly kept you waiting, but you labour sounded fab. I was at hospital for only half an hour before James arrived lol

Glad that she is ok after her trip to hospital and amazing that she has her organs reversed, very strange but glad to hear it won't cause any problems. These second babies like to have all the fun, James was in hospital at 3 weeks old for 11 days due to getting a bone and knee infection. xx

I loved reading your story, thank you for sharing.
I have never heard of reversed organs, what a unique little lady she is! and soooooo pretty :D

Lovely birth story hun. Similar to my experience (my labour was 80 mins from arrival at birth centre lol)

Glad you had such a positive experience and life is going well for you all

Sorry to hear she gave you a fright, must be terrifying when they are that weeny [it's never easy when they are poorly of course!!]

She is a beauty.

X

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27