Bedtime bottle

Colleen1988

Reaction score
Ok so Ive asked this before about bed time bottles and when to stop..

My LO is 14 month and has an 11oz bottle at bedtime, he drinks it all but is only bottle of the day, the rest is proper meals.

My concern is he will not let you brush his teeth at all, he hates it, he will happily suck the toothpaste off the brush but when you try and brush he bites down or throws the brush away, we've tried everything to get him to brush; I'm worried his teeth will rot because the milk will sit on his teeth all night.

Any advice??

Thanks xxx

My little girl is nearly 18m and still has 8oz milk before bed and I've non plans to stop that. My lo brushes her teeth before her bottle. My dentisttold me as long as her teeth are done twice a day it doesn't really matter what time

But he point blank refuses to let me put the brush in his mouth lol... is this a phase?? Do all babies do it ?? Maybe they understand a bit more at 18 month? Xx

Tbh my little girls always been good. I don't put too much pressure on. As soon as her first two came through at 6m I started giving her the brush and letting her chew it. To begin with I always held her and did mine at the same time. These days she goes through phases of letting me clean them sometimes and not others and if she's not in the mood for me to give them a good clean I just let her do it. Some days we do teeth 3 Times a day son i make sure I give them a good go myself once.

I'm 26 and have no fillings or any problems and I'm very anal about my own teeth so I'm sure she'll get the hang of it

Last edited:
I'm the same, 28 with no fillings so the whole notnwanting to clean his teeth thing is really bugging me, and the bed time bottle and milk sitting on his teeth is bugging me arghhh x

At home bargains and some asda's/Tesco's/Morris/sains they have this brush that is round on the bottom and it's overall shorter than most so easier to give and let them do it themselves without shoving the entire toothbrush down their little mouth. I've always let him have it and then brush it myself or the other way round whichever is easiest. You can always get two and let him bite and play with one and when he's finished give it a quick go around with paste after!

Just perservere with it, I know it's really frustrating but you'll get there in the end when they learn that it's something they have to do. I started singing a tooth brushing song to Felix which makes him laugh, and when he laughs I quickly brush his teeth, it becomes like a game that way xo

I do the same as mentioned above. I hold her in front of the mirror and she does hers while I do mine. She has never let me clean hers... Ever :) Usually she chews on it whilst moving it around her mouth so I think she's doing okay with it. Some days she just throws the toothbrush without brushing at all so I just leave it as I can't be bothered with the battle.

I also don't have any fillings so hoping the same for my stubborn daughter.

TBH at that age it's not so much about technique, it's about getting them used to the toothbrush and paste, the actual act of 'brushing' can come later. You lo is physically getting the fluoride in so just leave it a while before offering any food or milk. Don't stress about the milk causing decay either. It's more the people who do this as well as sweets/sugary drinks on top of the night time milk that are causing dental problems! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back