Bedding - Help!

star fish

Reaction score
I have a moses basket with a new mattress in it, what else?

Do I put in a bottom sheet? Is it supposed to have anything under the sheet to protect the mattress incase they overflow a nappy or something?

I assume i then lay the baby down on the sheet but does he have any bedding on top of him?

I have sleep suits, but they seem quite large, plus all short sleeved so wouldnt he get really cold neck etc in this weather?

Do I dress him in baby grows and then put him in a sleep suit?

But I have been given some blankets, so what are they for? Do I swaddle him in a blanket and then just lay him on the sheet and nothing more on top?

I know this sounds really amature, and maybe I'm being really thick, but I just suddenly realised I dont know what to make his bed up with

Im interested in peoples views on this too.. I havn't the foggiest what to have or use either!

I have a few grobags but I don't think your supposed to use them in a moses basket... I think anyway??

When my LO was newborn I would swaddle him in a sheet (was the summer though so a blanket will be fine). On top of the mattress in his crib I had a sheet but the crib mattress has a protective layer over it so if he was sick the mattress wouldnt' be ruined.
Nowadays he's in a vest, long sleeved vest, baby grow and sleeping bag. (It gets cold in his room). I have a sheet over his mattress in his cot.

Hope that helps. xx

Yes you get moses basket sheets to go over the mattress, i dont have a protector under that but have been wondering if i should.
Baby will then be wearing a vest with a baby grow over the top and ill swaddle him, depending how cold it is i can always add another blanket loose over the top x

When Tegan was newborn (winter baby) i put a sheet on the moses basket mattress then she wore a vest & a sleepsuit we then Swaddled her in a blanket. when she was about 10 weeks old we started using sleeping bags as far as i know you can use them in a moses basket. we did anyway xx

I've got a sheet over the mattress. Have bought a gro bag so plan to put him in that with a sleep suit on. If not, the mw said to make sure that the blanket is tucked under the mattress at the bottom, so they can't pull it up.

xxx

With Josh (born in Jan)
we had a fitted sheet on the mattress. then folded a muslim cloth in half, and led in on the mattress where his head would lie, and tucked the sides under the mattress, so if he spat up i wouldn't need to clean the whole thing.
We dressed him in a short sleep vest, and a all in one sleepsuit, sometimes cotton, sometimes the fleecy one depending on the weather.
i used to swaddle him in a thin blanket, (the ones with holes in? can't remember what they were called) because he used to flail his arms around and wake himself up.
to swaddle him i would fold the blanket in half diagonally, or just fold over a corner depends how big baby/ blanket is, put him down so that his head neck, and little of his shoulders were out of the blanket, then would put his arms down by his sides, get one corner, and pull it over him, tuck it in under his opposite arm, and the same on the other side. i think you can fold the bottom up aswell but Josh didn't like this.
and then i would put another blanket over the top of the swaddle blanket, and tuck it in place under the mattress on the sides and bottom, making sure that the blanket didn't go higher than an inch below his shoulders. i didn't use the blanket thing that came with the moses basket.
and i would put another blanket on top if it was colder.

Hope this helps xx

forgot to mention, when he was 6 weeks i started using the sleeping bags instead of swaddling, and didn't use any other blankets with the sleeping bag x

That's very good stuff, especially how to wrap. Do you think they show you any of this at the hospital?

Yes they did for me, showed you were the blanket was to go up to, and help you wrap them up, its quite easy once you get used to it, practice on a teady? its a bit like a fajita? lol xx

Yes they did for me, showed you were the blanket was to go up to, and help you wrap them up, its quite easy once you get used to it, practice on a teady? its a bit like a fajita? lol xx

Ha ha! great, I love Mexican food

Thanks hun mucho helpful.

Think those blankets with holes are called cellular blankets. I think...!

X

That's very good stuff, especially how to wrap. Do you think they show you any of this at the hospital?

If your unsure of anything in the hospital just ask hun. They will probably not offer to show you, thinking you already know. :)

joshua was born in october so getting cold. we had a plastic cheet style thing on the matress of the moses basket with a regular sheet on top as comfort with a think blanket on top again for comfort and warmth. joshua would then wear a short sleeve baby grow and a sleep suit with a blanket in which he was swaddled. when he was old enough to wriggle blankets off he had one blanket over him properly and one blanket from the waist down just to make sureand we took it from there1 x

Some really helpful answers here... I have been feeling really confused about the whole 'bedding' thing!

mine slept swaddled in a fleecy blanket, any loose blanket over the top would be a cellular blanket just in case but rarely needed. Wearing a vest with sleepsuit over the top.

As for nappys spilling if you want to put one of those reusable pads underneath the sheet to protect the mattress I imagine it shouldn't come above his waist cos the mattress bit under his head needs to be breathable.

Hi just to let you know i got a moses basket set at Tesco for £12 it comes with two sheets to fit over the mattress, two swaddle sheets and another two fleeces, so a set to have on and a set to wash, really nice and good value hun xx

I'm going to tesco today, so will definitely check that out, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back