bed sharing

beanie

Reaction score
I am a bit worried that I am putting my baby at risk. In the early morning when Seren wakes up I will breast feed her, and have fallen asleep with her. I now will make sure I have moved my pillows and duvet and will feed her lying down next to me as I know I will fall asleep and thought this would be safer. She will fall asleep next to me and we tend to have a couple of hours sleeping together. I know all the literature says that bed sharing is an absolute no no but I can't keep awake (she feeds for 30/40 mins). Does anyone have any advice or do this also or am I a lazy git?

Bed sharing is not seen as an absolute no-no!

Plenty of people think it's totally normal and a great way to bond with your child. Here's an interesting article:
http://www.attachmentparenting.org/artb ... leep.shtml

Brody sleeps the first part of the night in his crib against the bed, then from his first feed at about 3.30am he'll be in with me (hubby is on the spare bed for now as he needs more sleep) I only have half of the duvet on the bed, over me, the rest over the side of the bed onto the floor.

The important things to remember are, don't do it if you are a smoker and don't do it if you're tipsy or drunk.
Even when you're asleep you are totally aware of your baby's presence and will not roll over onto them.

Thanks Urchin, that was a great article and has really set my mind at rest. Am really pleased that it is not the evil thing I was led to believe as I do enjoy waking up next to her, and being close. I am not a smoker and am not drinking due to the breast feeding. My OH is also in the spare room at the mo so I make sure that the duvet doesn't cover her. I really liked the positive research findings, and also I can say to people that I am not making a rod for my own back (she'll never sleep on her own if you let her into your bed etc)

This morning I was woken up by Seren helping herself to breakfast. She had fallen asleep next to me and I wasn't wearing anything on top, woke up with her latching on (albeit badly and painfully). Guess she was hungrey and couldn't wait :D

I did the same with Mason and never had a problem getting him into his own bed. As they wriggle more in the night you find it better to put them back in their crib anyway to stop them disturbing you :)
For the moment, I love having Brody next to me, I REALLY like that he doesn't cry in the night... he murmurs as he starts to wake up and I latch him on before he even opens his eyes! It's so easy! He's straight back to sleep again too (often I must fall asleep before he's even finished his feed!)

That article really is good I think.

Oscar also spends the first part of his sleep in his moses basket and then hops in bed with me. I move the duvet and he snuggles up underneath his own blanket.
I love the convenience of snuggling up together - we both get good sleep/feeds.

He's starting to wake up now - better latch him on before too awake!
Emilia xx

Rubie also spends the first part of the night in her moses basket and from 3:30 when OH gets up to go to work, she often comes in with me. I also felt guilty about it but I don't now I know it is normal, and safe. The only thing is though, I often fall asleep before she finishes feeding so she doesn't get winded and ends up throwing up all over my bed :shock:

I love the closeness of sleeping in the same bed with her and felt it really helped me bond with her when I was finding everything a bit difficult. It also means we both get more sleep as she always settles when she's in with me :D

Kim said:
The only thing is though, I often fall asleep before she finishes feeding so she doesn't get winded and ends up throwing up all over my bed :shock:

same here, never thought i'd sleep in a bed with baby sick but here i am :D

And I don't care if I'm covered in it either! :shock:

I must be lucky, Brody just goes back to sleep and doesn't get sick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back