BCG vaccination

melhoney

Reaction score
Just wondered, really, what had been your experience about the BCG vaccination?
Maheen had hers done today, and she has been very brave, bless...braver than me! :oops:

But I got conflicting info about the consequences...as usual! :?
My health visitor told me she will get fever but the nurses at the hospital told me she won't!
How have your little ones reacted to this vaccin? Should I buy Calpol or not? I am not for medication at all times, but i don't want my jewel to get bad temperature and ill!!!

also, what other side effects should I be aware of? swelling, or else?
Some leaflet I read say nothing should happen, some others say the opposite! I am really confused! :?

Thanks
Mel xx

Here in SA, babies normally get their BCG before they're discharge from hospital. It is injected in the top right arm. I got a leaflet that explained what would happen...
Oscar didn't get fever, but it was a great big red lump. Eventually, it became like a boil (the leaflet said it would) and that means it's working. It popped and now it's healing nicely. I don't know about BCG vac's in UK, but that's certainly what it's side affects are here. Looked really nasty for a couple of days.
Emilia xx

ps. I don't think fever is likely, but get some Calpol in anyway. Also, the leaflet explained that it takes up to 3 months to clear.
Hope Maheen's ok with it!
Emilia xx

Reece has always had calpol prescribed after each of his injections. Does nobody else get a prescription?

No prescription for us....

The babies tend not to get fever after the BCG, we were told, but for the five in one, they do. Naomi's BCG was over in a second, she was asleep (as usual), screamed once and went back to sleep again, poor mite. I had brought my MIL in to hold her in case I couldn't watch!

Her arm (top left here) has broken out at one needle site, not the other, and has come up in what looks like a crusty green zit. It hasn't popped or anything and doesn't seem to make her uncomfortable. My BCG booster when I was 12 took six months to clear, and it was really gooey and nasty and painful. It also left a nasty scar. I hope Naomi won't have a scar!

I heard that in some countries the BCG is given in the heel so as not to mark the shoulder!

Sue

Thanks girls.

Well, Sue, Maheen was the same as Naomi! :D She was asleep before, cried for the time the needle was in her left arm, and went back to sleep right after!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: bless her!

At the moment, there is a big red mark on her arm, and nothing else, and she does not seem to suffer from it.
She did not get fever :wink: and seems as a happy baby as before. She had a good night (10pm till 1:40 and then till 5:40 and then till 8:30)

Not bad for a 3 weeks baby, ...I love her soooooooooo much !!!!!! :lol: :p :lol:

mel xx

BCG? Damien hasn't had one :?
He's had his first Polio, Dip, Hib and Men C jab, got another next week, then another 4 weeks after that. When do they have BCG's or has he had it and I'm just being a plank?

I thought BCG was the 6 needles one you get at about 12???

Just checked my Red Bible (Red Child Health Record) and it says BCG at 10-14years old :shock:
That's when I had mine.

well, here, I was told Maheen should really have had hers done while I was still in hospital, but as i left after 1 day and a half, they probably did not get time!! :lol:

This vaccin is not compulsory at all here in UK (whereas a child can't go in any school in France if it's not done!) but they tend to do it to babies who would travel...and my husband being Pakistani, we will go to Pakistan quite often, and I guess that makes Maheen a baby at high risk!!! :wink:
It's to protect against tuberculosis as it can lead to TB meningitis in babies.
on my leaflet it says "in the UK, BCG is offered to babies who are more likely than the general population to come into contact with someone with TB. Generally it means babies who live in inner city areas. The vaccination is usually offered after the birth while your baby is still in hospital, but it can be given at any time. Otherwise, children are offered the vaccine between the ages of 10 and 14 years."

so don't worry, Sami, if you feel Damien should have it, ytou can request it any time. At least here is UK, we have a choice!!! :D

take care,
Mel xx

I think I'll leave him, they get enough jabs these days poor things, at least when he is 10-14 I wont have to watch :shock:
Not all kids have to have it anyway if they react to the Heaf test.

I thought I was going mad at first :lol: cheers for the info though Melhoney x

Hi there

Olivia is 4 weeks old now and hasn't had the BCG - is it sometimes given at 2 months as thats when her firat jabs are?

Thanks

Lucy

Hi, Lucy, no, I think you need to ask for it if you want it before 10 or 14 years old! As I said, I was offered it because of my husband's origin, and the fact that we are going to go there quite often....though there is no more risk of getting tuberculosis over there than here, but here we are! :)

mel xx

they don't even offer it at 10-14 now in our area - we expected Dan to be getting his '6 needles' soon, but they don't do it. I didn't have it done (i was 'absent' the day they did it :wink: ) but I remember the rest of the class walking round with dead arms and gooey scabs for weeks afterwards. Maybe it's better to get it over and done with as soon as possible

Old post I know but anyway...

I think you only get offered the BCG if you or your partner are asian. Zara had to have it because dh is Pakistani and there's risk of TB with relatives coming over to visit and going to Pakistan.

Zara had hers done at 2 weeks and didn't even scream.

what a brave girl!!! :clap: :clap:

Maheen cried for as long as the needle was in her arm!! went back to sleep straight after! :shock: These LO handle needles better than us! :lol:
Mel xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back