BCG lump burst at 6 months - what next?

Discussion in 'Kids Health' started by proudmother, Dec 12, 2007.

1. proudmother

proudmother Member

So our daughter had the BCG at 3 days old - it took 6 months for it to turn into a (very big and painful) red lump and within a few days it had become full of greeny yellowy puss.

Took her to the hopsital (we were staying in Spain for a week) and whilst they were checking her they burst the lump by accident. They said it was an infection from the vaccination but on taking her to the GP back in Blighty he said it was the normal reaction.

5 days on and puss is still leaking from the wound but our GP was less than helpful in how to keep her wound clean and what to do with it since there's a hole of about 0.5cm in diameter on her arm.

Anyone help with what to do?

Ta.

2. Becky&Willow

Becky&Willow Well-Known Member

not to sure really but i remember when i had it at school it took months to heal properly i just kept a plaster on it.

not much help really sorry :wall:

3. LucyBee

LucyBee Well-Known Member

Sorry I can't help but on the subject of BCGs, do all babies have them at birth?
    Tom hasn't had one???

4. OopsyDaisy

OopsyDaisy Well-Known Member

BCG is not offered routinely, only in areas prevalent in TB, in which case it can be given from birth.

5. OopsyDaisy

OopsyDaisy Well-Known Member

My LO's bump appeared after 5 weeks, and then some pus oozed out. After that, it scabbed over, and when the scab fell off, it revealed a deep hole. But since then, it seems to have settled down.

I would assume that cleaning the wound with sterile saline water can help keep the area clean? Seeing as the GP isn't of much help, have you tried contacting the health visitor?

6. LucyBee

LucyBee Well-Known Member

Oh, OK, brilliant. Thank you so much.