BBC Documentary Request

RP1899

Reaction score
Good Afternoon!

First of all thank you very much for having this section to the forum - it makes my request an awful lot easier to put in.

I have a rather unusual and sensitive request for a short film I am planning to make for the BBC and I hope that either somebody from here can help me get in touch with the right person - or is indeed someone who is in this situation that is interested in finding out a little bit more and hopefully taking part.

I want to make a film channelling the journey of somebody who has drug issues and is also pregnant.

The purpose for this is shooting a small documentary that we want to create for BBC Inside Out showing what it’s like for someone to battle with a drug addiction as well as having a baby, and hopefully – depending on what happens – seeing how becoming a mother changes somebody’s behaviour. It will be a human interest story over the course of a few months, getting to know the person and a bit about their lives and the challenges they face throughout their pregnancy in their life.

This is not going to be done in a Benefits Street way or anything like that – so I can understand any immediate concerns you may have around that, however the goal for this piece is not at all for this.

I have done similarly emotive pieces before with some extremely sensitive and private cases and worked with the people to make them come across how they are intended; honest, open and unbiased – whilst also remaining completely anonymous.

For example I was the first journalist from BBC Local Radio allowed into an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting in December 2011, and made a whole series reporting on people’s stories from that. This was an extremely successful series that raised awareness for AA and has now been held in their national archives.

Secondly in December 2013 I made another series about Adult Sex Work. This was made in partnership with a local charity. With their help I was able to speak to a range of different people in the adult sex trade, from sex workers on the streets, to clients, to a massage parlour Madame and in the end managed to raise the profile of the red light district in the city in question back onto the Police’s agenda so that it’s now being looked at more seriously again.

Many of the people involved with this industry were understandably twitchy about my motives and the consequences from taking part – but what it’s actually done is create more awareness about some of the issues and allowed everyone to say their piece in a fair, impartial and honest way.

As a result I am looking to do something rather similar for this issue now. It can all be done completely anonymously as I would love to hear from people who can help with my request to speak to people with a drug addiction who are also pregnant.

Please Private Message me if you are not comfortable posting publicly in this and I really look forward to hearing from you soon.

Take care and thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back