bargain hunter mummies?

Laura1992

Reaction score
I'm a cheap skate mummy-to-be and love a bargain! I'm determined not to spend crazy money on these two before they arrive (not that there's anything wrong with that), especially as I'll have nursery fees times two in the near future!

Sooo I wondered if there are any other bargain lovers on here that want to share tips and finds!

I'm very excited because I happened to walk by Oxfam today and went in for a nosy. I ended up with 8 newborn or 0-3 month babygrows plus two sleep suits for £5.80! They look brand new and are very pretty.

My other recent bit of luck was meeting a twin mum on a local multiples facebook group. I went to her house yesterday, because she was selling the breastfeeding pillow that I want for £10, which is £80 new! She was so kind and also gave me lots of maternity clothes, babygrows, bath seat, and is willing to part with her barely used medela double breast pump for £70, which will save me a good £130 I think.

Anyone want to join me?? I've also been watching ebay for the double city jogger that I'm after.. xxx

Last edited:
Also love a bargain!! My friend has given me loads of girl stuff and my cousin has given me even more boy stuff, so I'm covered ether way (team yellow!) it fills a wardrobe!! My friend has also given me her medala swing breast pump.
I got my nursery set from next, but it's since been discontinued so I managed to get the light shade for a tenner off eBay (not sure how much it was originally as I never saw it on the shops) plus the bed in a bag kit for £25 instead of £55 at next clearance!

A free medala swing breast pump! You've hit the jackpot there!

I might make my twinnies share a cotbed for the first few months, to save space mainly as we live in a town house. I'll need to buy a second one eventually though! Still not sure where I'll get it from, haven't got my eye on any yet. How far along are you?

I'm such a skin Flint aswell, I've got a friend giving me hand me downs and cousins that have small kids so I'm sure I will acquire off them. I don't mind anything being second hand the only thing I really want new is a mattress and a car seat.

I know! Lucky to have such a great mate.
I'm 39 weeks, due date is 7th so it's looming! We've just put our cotbed up and it's HUGE. Had to rethink the layout of the nursery, which is the box room. It's an ok size room for a box but could have done with either a smaller cot or using the second bedroom!!

Darcy Second hand is great and so useful, but definitely a new mattress needed. I've got the Moses basket all the babies in my family have used from my cousin now his 40s to another cousins 6 month old (via me!), but have got a new mattress for it.

How far along are you guys? xx

We have a little table and chair that has been passed round the family for about 60 years I can't wait to get my hands on it. I'm only 9weeks so very early days xx

I love a bargain, I'll be going to the local mum2mum market when it comes my way
Have just managed to get a nursery glider chair with gliding footstool from eBay today for £40 ! X

Oh I forgot about my glider chair bargain!! I got one from Gumtree for £50

I'm absolutely with you all! A few things I'd like to buy new, but have been scouring eBay for weeks for second hand bits and pieces - the cot I've got my eye on (under £20!!) ends tomorrow so fingers crossed I'll win that one!!

Just came back from meeting a friend and she gave me two whole bags of maternity clothes - I feel like I've been on a huge shopping spree!

Yay hi everyone! Glad to be in good company here!

Well done everyone on the ebay finds. I have just got a couple of sleep suits on there for a few pounds each, but I probably won't bother with clothes on there anymore now that I've realised I can get them second-hand locally for a lot cheaper (no postage). Ebay will be great for bigger items though, along with gumtree.

Definitely agree re new mattress and carseats! Unless you got carseats from a friend or family that could 100% guarantee they hadn't been in an accident, it's not worth the risk.

Holdingthumbs I love how you refer to securing items on ebay as "winning" them! I do the same and my partner laughs at me because he says I've not won anything, I'm paying for it. I still feel like a winner every time hahah xx

Haha that's so funny! Agreed - it just feels like a little victory to me each time I fight off all the other bidders!

Ooh yes, I love a bargain. For my first I lived around the corner from a children's charity shop and with my friends we got to the stage where we'd compete to see who had the best find/bargain. I think there's something really rewarding about buying second hand, especially when most things are like new. You can then buy a few really nice new items with the money you save. I've sold some things online too I bought second hand got the same and some times a little more!

I love a bargain! I've bought most bits second hand and they are immaculate and look brand new! I've also been lucky and been given a lot of things through friends and family also, but all the money I've saved meant I was able to splurge a tad on getting the pram I really wanted! :) I will continue buying second hand once baby is here as i would rather save money and be able to do nice things with her when she's older! :) Facebook selling pages and freecycle Facebook pages have been a godsend! X

My SIL just got a playhouse for her garden from free cycle, just needs a power wash & it'll be as good as new X

the nct nearly new sales are great! If you havent been loo up your local.one on the nct website.
I second the advice of local fb selling groups and also local parenting groups. My local one always has someone giving something really lovely away.
On the local selling group I got a chicco next2me crib for £40. Im going to get a new mattress but the rest of the material and lining is all removable and machine washable.

Facebook pages have helped us! I got my nursing chair for £25 & my mum is recovering it to match out sofa :D also a lady is giving me a huge bundle of newborn boys stuff totally free! Agree that charity shops and NCT sales are fab too xxxx

How do I find the Facebook selling pages? Probably being a twit, but am not sure what you mean and want to get involved!

have a search for the name of your town or city with 'buy and sell' at the end in the fb search engine. Then once you're in one facebook 'suggests' related/similar groups.x

Last edited:
I love a bargain. Have bought the majority of this baby's clothes from eBay or local fb groups, got my Moses basket in a charity shop for £5!! The only things I've got new are the buggy, car seat and Moses basket mattress! Oh and I got a few new clothes in the sainsburys sale. :) xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back