baptism

Discussion in 'Second Trimester' started by sarafet, Jan 10, 2008.

1. sarafet

sarafet Well-Known Member

morning ladies :D

was wondering if anyone is having their baby baptised? and if you know what the formalities are? my mum said that john and i will have to start going to chapel again regularly, etc.. :?

thankyoooo xxx

sarah xxx

2. fifi211

fifi211 Well-Known Member

We will be getting baby baptised as we did with Jamie. Basically you need to make an appointment at the church and they kind of explain the responsibilities and yes they do ask you to start attending.

3. sarafet

thanks fifi :D

when did you make the appointment, as in, how far gone were you?

sarah xx

4. fifi211

Jamie was 3 when he was baptised and we made the appointment a few months before.

5. debecca

debecca Well-Known Member

We're having an argument about this at the moment in my house, as it's the only thing we can't agree on to do with the baby. I think as we're not religious (we even got married at Gretna) and our local vicar is a chump we shouldn't have Connie christened or baptised, but Jim wants to.

What is everyone else doing and why?

6. sarafet

my whole family and oh's family are all catholic and baptised, communion, confirmed etc.. it's more of a family thing for me than a religious thing i'm embarrased to say :oops:

7. muppetmummy

muppetmummy Well-Known Member

We didn't have James christened and won't this one either.
    OH would probably describe himself as agnostic, and whilst I believe in god I don't follow any organised religion and don't attend church.
    My feeling is it would be silly for me to have the kids christened and promise to bring them up in a faith which I don't believe in, it seems a bit disrespectful towards those who do follow that particular religion as well to gatecrash their church for a christening, then never attend ever again.
    Thats just my feelings, it's a very personal thing.
    My sister had her daughters christened but never attends church and doesn't even believe in god, she only did it for a party!
    Maybe a civil baby naming ceremony would be a compromise?

8. debecca

debecca Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I want mm. Sort of godparents without the god and a nice party so everyone can meet Conifold McConifold...

9. xkikix

xkikix Well-Known Member

My husbands family are Catholic and his mum goes to church every week etc. I think his family would prefere us to get LO christened.

Hubby was Christened but hasnt been to church since he was a teenager (in his own words - "since he got an opinion")

I wasnt christened or baptised and we defo will not be getting LO christened. If, when he gets older he wants to be christened then we will arrange it... I think anyway!

10. fifi211

I think that religion is a very personal and private thing, eg I don't think it makes you believe more than somebody else because you attend mass every Sunday.

Hubby and I don't attend church regularly but we do have our own beliefs. I was brought up catholic and hubby c of e and we both wanted Jamie to have some religious guidance throughout school After much discussion, hence why Jamie was 2 (not 3 as I put earlier) when he was finally baptised, we decided to go ahead.

11. sarafet

mm - i agree, naming ceremonies are becoming very popular now :)

we'll defo go ahead with the christining though as i will bring the baby up catholic, they will go to a catholic school etc and then when they are older, they can choose to continue their faith or not.

12. Tillytots

Tillytots Well-Known Member

Me and OH cant agree on this either... :roll:

Id like to get LO baptised and he wouldnt. OH is 110% atheist...dont even mention religion to him else he goes right off on one :shhh: he also thinks if we baptise our child we will be forcing religion on him?! Well Ive been baptised and I dont feel like Ive been forced to do anything. Im not deeply religious and to be honest I have my own ideas of what religion is but I grew up believing that if I was christened I was one of Gods children and if I died Id go to heaven :angel: That was good enough for me. Not sure that will happen though as Ive been a bad, bad girl sometimes but God doesnt need to know that :shhh: Il blag it at the gates when my time comes :lol:

As for choosing God parents, OH and I do agree we would be hard pushed to find anyone we really trust other than eachother :think: thats quite sad really.

x

13. Sherlock

Sherlock Well-Known Member

Neither myself or my hubby are at all religious and have decided no christening or baptism for our LO. We feel that if religious practices such as hymns, prayers and so on are said at school as LO gets older, we are fine with that, but have no interest in going any further. OH#s mother is a regular church goer and his brother is deeply religious, but we are happy with how we want to go about things.

We don't plan to be active church goers or attend solely for the purpose of a christening etc.

We opted to marry at a registrars office also as both of us felt it would be hypocritcial to get married in a church when neither of us have the slightest interest in attending on a regular basis and are not believers, so having a religious ceremony and the huge expense that goes with it these days was a non starter.

I think if people attend on a regular basis or are belivers and wish to bring up their child with Christian beliefs, then fine, otherwise, I don't see the point. I think the idea of Godparents and whatever else having a child christened means, it can be done just as well if parents have good decent values and are able to keep an open mind and introduce their child to the world as it is today.

14. Bloom

Bloom Well-Known Member

I will be having baby christened in the summer.

15. Suzie and Faith

Suzie and Faith Well-Known Member

We will be having our LO christened. We are both Christian although we don't attend church (though that's partly due to work committments). We will have 2 godparents. My OHs sister is a vicar and she has offered to do the service in the same church we got married in.

16. BeckyJ

BeckyJ Well-Known Member

were not really religous but both want LO christened

im hoping to get it done when he/she is about 3-4 months old but not 100% sure, we have picked 2 godmothers but not sure on a godfater

17. Bee

Bee Well-Known Member

I wasn't christened so won't be getting the baby christened

18. daftscotslass

daftscotslass Well-Known Member

Neither of us were christened (I was the first in my family not to be - my mum isn't particularly religious though she considers herself Christian) so we won't be Christening our LO.

19. nikkimitch

nikkimitch Well-Known Member

I am a catholic my dh is atheist but happy for me to have our children baptised - the first two were 'done' at my mum's church in Scotland as it was easier to get to for family but ds2 had his ceremony in the back garden under the apple tree in April - the local priest understood that people were travelling a distance (many from south of england to yorkshire) and may not have cars to get to the local village church - also the church is tiny only holding around 50 people and we had invited a lot more - he quite happily did the ceremony in the garden and stayed for the party after - it was magical :) and I am hoping he will do the same (and we get the weather :lol:) for number 4

20. Happybunny

Happybunny Well-Known Member

I would describe myself as spiritual, I believe in God and talk to God, but I am not religious. I do not go to church or partake in any worship etc.

My hubby is very very very atheist; he is of the 'Richard Dawkin' camp. He is a wonderful man, but does find it very hard to get his head around the whole 'faith' thing. We have many and interesting debates on the topic.

We had a civil wedding ceremony and we will not be having our child baptised. I will tell my child about other people's beliefs and I will fully support them in any decision they make about their own spirituality. Despite my husband's 'difficulty' with faith, he does respect my views and I know he would respect our child's beliefs.