Bad cold

Shepherdess

Reaction score
Hi ladies

If been thinking we're doing great that my Lo was only just getting her first cold now at 9 months (I thank breastfeeding) but now it's come it's awful and I'm worried

She stared with a cough earlier in the week but now she's got an awful cough, is so snotty, has sticky gungy eyes and is just miserable, she's also got cold hands

Her temp is 38.4, she's recently had 5ml of calpol, is there anything else I can do to help? My mil has also suggested putting Vaseline on her eyes before bed to stop her eyelids sticking overnight

I've been trying to give her lots of fluids and feeding like usual but I just feel awful for her

Oh dear, poor poor thing. Firstly I'd get her checked out by your GP and check that her cold hasn't gone onto her chest.

I use a vapouriser in my daughters room which seems to be reasonably effective. Also, you can give ipubrofen as well as paracetamol. Start with Calpol and if needed two hours later you can give ipubrofen.

My son (aged 3) is suffering horribly with goodness knows what so he'll be seeing the GP on Monday. He also has a cold and waking in the night with gunk all over his eyes. His appetite has been really off as well. So, you have my sympathies.

I hope you LO starts to feel better soon.

We've had LO with her second cold ( think its teething related) been using the saline spray and snuffle babe vaporub on her chest, also raised her mattress slightly as had to co sleep the first night as she couldn't breathe laying flat, also put vaporub in a bowl with hot water. Also as you are breastfeeding might be worth putting a little breast milk around her eyes. My niece has had a blocked duct since birth and breast milk is the only thing helping it without having to have a minor op.
Hope she feels better soon x

Caleb unfortunately seems quite susceptible to colds and had his first one at 5 weeks (I also BF) so we've become pros!
We use a plug in vaporiser at night time, raise his mattress with a pillow underneath it and we also tie a bib to the cot that we've put olbas oil on.
We alternate between ibuproen and calpol, if you give ibuprofen before bed as the doctor told us it helps them to sleep a little longer than calpol would. Before bed we put snufflebalm on his chest and also on the soles of his feet as in baby massage they taught us there's a link between the foot and helping colds - can't remember details now. Nasal spray as well, the drops are really unpleasant for them so I'd use the spray if you can. You can also put a tub of water on the radiator to prevent the air from becoming too dry.
Don't worry about his hands being too cold (same with feet) - the doctor told us to ignore those when we asked about it.
Only other thing, just be careful that the eye gunk isn't conjunctivitis? Caleb got this once from rubbing his nose with his hand and then rubbing his eyes and he also has a bunny comforter that he rubs his face in which wasn't helpful! You can get eye drops to clear that up but if you also spend a few days being really conscientious with cleaning etc. it clears up itself.

In the day just try and give lots of water, pharmacist once suggested to put a little bit of juice in if they're off their food to give them some sugars but caleb hates the taste so didn't work for us. If she's off her food a bit we reverted to fruit puree and easy to swallow foods like yoghurt, banana etc.

Hope she feels better soon xx

nose spray!! snuffle babe on chest and back and try to raise the head of the bed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back