Back to back

smilingsophie

Reaction score
I'm currently 36 weeks have have been told by my midwife today that baby is lying back to back...

I've read that this can mean labour is longer and more painful.

Does anyone have any experience of this and tips to try to get baby to change Positions before delivery?

Sophie :)

Spend some time on all fours but on your forearms, not your hands, being 'bump down' should help baby's back swing into the bump a bit.

Lots online under yoga and chiropractic stuff for this xx

Yeh my daughter was back to back unbeknosn to me as i thought my backache was cos i was heavily pregnant heat packs helped me and she turned thankfully im sure this one is back to back today as very painful lower back

Hope u get sum relief xx

My baby was back to back and I won't lie the pain was awful. My little girl also tried to turn on the way out and got stuck resulting in a ventouse delivery.

I had been using my ball loads but it just didn't work for me. It does for some though

Thank you for the advice, I've just bought a birthing ball and tried to spent some of the night on my knees!! Hoping baby will turn before I'm due fingers crossed!!

Last edited:
My son was back to back and yes it was incredibly painful. My back pain was horrific, I couldn't lie down not even to sleep. The only place I was able to sleep was for 3 hours in the bath during my 60 hour labour.

I'm not scaring you, just sharing my experience.

My son was back to back. I was told at 36+4 and was told there was plenty of time for him to turn. I tried hands on the floor and legs on the sofa (not easy!) he was born the following week at 37+2. He was born quite quickly (6 1/2 hours from 1st pain) but I couldn't lie down during labour. I was constantly moving in labour and that helped with the pain.

My Lo was back to back all the way through pregnancy, no mater how hard I tried she would not turn. The labour pains were hell. I remember having a bath in the middle of the night and then lying on the sofa trying to let oh sleep as I knew it was early stage labour but the pain in my back was so bad I was crying. He couldn't sleep through it so took me to hospital and I was so glad I was 5cm and didn't have to go home. Worst pain ever.

Took hours had a bout a day of pre labour and I thought they were braxton hicks. Did have a forceps delivery but I blame the alward midwife for that who forced a drip on me. Did it all on gas and air and found my wisdom tooth extraction more painful! And I was known for having a low pain threshold!

I go to daisy foundation ante natal yoga classes and our teacher put this up on their Facebook page:

http://midwifethinking.com/2010/08/13/in-celebration-of-the-op-baby/

It is a really good read and often the stress of the baby being in wrong position and the pre conceived ideas we have are worse than it actually is. My baby wasn't back to back but was on right side instead of left and I had it drummed into me that she would get stuck, in labour they didn't let me push cause I had a 'lip' and then they manually lifted the lip, however I now know that if they had let my own body do its thing the pushing would have moved the baby's head round and got rid of lip and she wouldn't get stuck. Trust your body and try not to worry.
Xx

Thank you bubbles for posting that article, it makes me feel better about the whole labour experience. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back