back to back position

rachelanderton

Reaction score
i am 38 wk +2days and i went to the midwife yesterday and the baby is lying with its back to my back. i dont think it will turn now as it hasnt got any room but i am a bit concerned as to what it means will happen?? the head is also not engaged at all but i dont know wether this is because of the way its lying. can this position end up leading to caserean?? anyone any ideas??

Hi there
I'm not sure if this is your first baby, but I hope that I can reassure you a little bitty.
My son (first born) was back to back and didn't engage until very close to delivery. He was also 2 weeks late.
Labour was very slow and back pain was quite sore. Total hours in labour was 27 hours. Don't want to frighten you, but back to back (or posterior) babies do cause prolonged labours. BUT.... DONT dispair!!!! I managed very nicely and just ended up with an epidural. Wasn't bad at all and he was 4.5kg at birth.
You can still help your baby turn to a more preferred position. Sleep only on your left side!!!!! I wish I had know that with my first baby and it has taken me nearly 12 years to find out that one should NOT sleep on your back during pregnancy and preferably only on your left. Try it, but if it fails, don't stress - an epidural will be a godsend and it doesn't mean that you have to have section!
Good luck and DONT worry!!
Emilia xx

thanks it is my 3rd baby and the other 2 were normal deliveries. i just dont want to go over or end up with a c section. thanks for you advice

Then it makes even more sense.
After I saw the midwife last Tuesday, she told me that baby still hadn't engaged. On the wednesday, my waters broke before any contractions started. Baby's head didn't engage until 4 hours into labour.
You'll be fine - have read in plenty place now that subsequent baby's heads don't always engage until labour has started.
Good luck
Emilia xx

Hi,

I went to the midwife yesterday and she said my baby was back to side, it's turned slightly as last week it was back to back.
She said rather than a normal baby only turning 1/8th in labour to pass through, back to back babies have to turn 5/8th's which is why it takes longer in labour as it takes more turning.

She said not to sit with your feet up, sit upright with your legs slightly apart and kneel on all fours just to swing the baby round.

Nothing has been set in stone that it actually works, but like she said to me if you do these things you can't say you didn'y try.

My baby turned back to back during labour, the pain moved round to the back when I was nearing 9/10cm dilated and the midwife said she knew the baby was back to back because the contractions slowed down and came in 2's (apparantly they come in 2's because your body is trying to turn the baby into the right position). I think she had partly turned when she was born because she came out slightly off centre and ended up with a little bump on her head. It wasn't that bad, I had an epidural but I did feel the pain as it had worn off completely by pushing time. Don't worry your body takes over and knows what to do xx

Hi ladies, I had my mw appointment yesterday where they were gonna decide on a c section or not as bubba was still breech. Good news she isn't, bad news she is back to back, like previously at 32 weeks. MW told me to do the exercises which I had been doing anyway, but said now she is soo big there is little room for her to move round and her head is slightly engaged.

I asked her what exactly does back 2 back mean, and she was honest and said a lonng labour, with excruciating back pain. Great.

Amy's mum, I am back in the same predicament as before!!!

Anyway hope you are all well and bumps 2!xxx

Seren was back to back, hence the 2 days of pre labour and the backache. I was told during the third day that they might consider a c section as I was taking so long to progress but I had an epidural and fell asleep, to find I got to 91/2cms. It can mean a longer more painful labour (its the backache) but there are things you can do to encourage baby to move, some of which have been mentioned such as sleeping on left side. I was also told to use my birthing ball and to get on my hands and knees during labour to help baby turn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back