Baby's surname...

eager_reader

Reaction score
Hi all,

Posting here as I don't want to offend married/conventional/traditional people!

I really don't like the British tradition of the woman always taking the man's name and also giving it to baby - to me that completely dismisses and negates the contribution that women make. I know this is controversial so please don't give me a hard time if you don't agree - I fully respect people who adhere to this tradition as I believe it's a very personal choice and I appreciate the appeal of Mum, Dad and kid having the same surname.

As we're unmarried, my partner and I are discussing possible surnames. I would like to use a mash-up of our names and have made a little list. My partner would actually rather have his surname as a middle name and my surname as the official surname. To me, that negates his contribution, but he's currently really not keen on my mash-up idea!

Just interested to see what others in the same situation are considering??

Thanks!

I am double barrelling our names as we aren

Sorry Tapatalk ruins messages all the time

I will double barrel my name and his as we are not married so it will be mine first followed by his Parkes-Smith

I am the last one to carry my surname and it means a lot to me so even if we marry I will keep it and double barrel mine

He is welcome to join me ha

I think it's a good idea to have the mash up I myself will take my other halfs name and he already has a double barrel name but there are plenty of men in my family to keep my name going lol.

I hate hyphenated names with a passion, so personally I'd do anything to avoid that.

I know a couple who weren't married and both had hyphenated surnames. They didn't want the poor kid to have 4 last names haha. They chose a new last name together and both changed their names to it, then their son had it as a surname too. I thought that was sweet, starting a new lineage :)

I like your hubby's idea of having his surname as a middle name better than hyphenating.

Thanks all, really appreciate your input.
It's given me lots to think about. ��

I changed my name to my husbands when we got married (as my surname was rubbish!) but if I hadn't I would have given my surname to my baby, it is me who takes him places, doctors, activities, eventually school, and I want the same name as him for that. Although i like the idea of mixing surnames I wouldn't want my baby to have a name that neither of us had, so we would all have to change for that to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back