Baby's surname...

Discussion in 'Alternative Parenting' started by eager_reader, Jun 18, 2018.

1. eager_reader

eager_reader Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Posting here as I don't want to offend married/conventional/traditional people!

I really don't like the British tradition of the woman always taking the man's name and also giving it to baby - to me that completely dismisses and negates the contribution that women make. I know this is controversial so please don't give me a hard time if you don't agree - I fully respect people who adhere to this tradition as I believe it's a very personal choice and I appreciate the appeal of Mum, Dad and kid having the same surname.

As we're unmarried, my partner and I are discussing possible surnames. I would like to use a mash-up of our names and have made a little list. My partner would actually rather have his surname as a middle name and my surname as the official surname. To me, that negates his contribution, but he's currently really not keen on my mash-up idea!

Just interested to see what others in the same situation are considering??

Thanks!

2. netty

netty Well-Known Member

I am double barrelling our names as we aren

3. netty

netty Well-Known Member

Sorry Tapatalk ruins messages all the time

I will double barrel my name and his as we are not married so it will be mine first followed by his Parkes-Smith

I am the last one to carry my surname and it means a lot to me so even if we marry I will keep it and double barrel mine

He is welcome to join me ha

4. Vintageling

Vintageling Well-Known Member

I think it's a good idea to have the mash up I myself will take my other halfs name and he already has a double barrel name but there are plenty of men in my family to keep my name going lol.

5. WinterWolf

WinterWolf Well-Known Member

I hate hyphenated names with a passion, so personally I'd do anything to avoid that.

I know a couple who weren't married and both had hyphenated surnames. They didn't want the poor kid to have 4 last names haha. They chose a new last name together and both changed their names to it, then their son had it as a surname too. I thought that was sweet, starting a new lineage :)

I like your hubby's idea of having his surname as a middle name better than hyphenating.

6. eager_reader

eager_reader Well-Known Member

Thanks all, really appreciate your input.
    It's given me lots to think about. ��

7. snowbee

snowbee Well-Known Member

I changed my name to my husbands when we got married (as my surname was rubbish!) but if I hadn't I would have given my surname to my baby, it is me who takes him places, doctors, activities, eventually school, and I want the same name as him for that. Although i like the idea of mixing surnames I wouldn't want my baby to have a name that neither of us had, so we would all have to change for that to work.

8. Ann_Whole

Ann_Whole Member

this question was decided by my husband :D