Baby's head drop

carrie

Reaction score
Hi im 31 weeks pregnant, im 19. i think my baby's head has droped already because im getting pain at the top of my pubic area sometimes it doesnt hurt too much but other times it feels like its ripping, im worried that if the baby's head has dropped already then it may be premature...?

Babies heads can drop in and out of the pelvis towards the end from what I remember being told, but does not mean it will stay there, it usually moves back up again. Some babies stay engaged (head in pelvis) from 34 weeks apprently! If you are worried though speak to your midwife because this is only what i think I remember, I might be wrong.

Sorry if that doesn't help much xxx

Hi

Im 32 weeks pregnant with my first. Over the past week ive been having a really strange feeling in my tummy, only way i describe it is like having an headache where it feels like your head is going to burst....only in my tum! My midwife assures me that its just the baby moving positions and the pressure is bound to increase on the cervix etc.

Hope your well

Sam & Bump

thank you for replying. i think it is moving its head in n out becuase sometimes it feels like theres aload of pressure by my ribs and pressure down there.. ill still speak to midwife though thanx for replying.

My son dropped really early and the dr was worried I would have him way too soon...I did go into labor at 32 weeks...Dilated to 3 and stopped...I was dilated to 3 until 34 weeks when they induced me for unexplained bleeding...When he dropped I was in the bathroom constantly like at the beginning and it felt like a lot of pressure in my vagina...Also DH said he could FEEL the baby when we was,well,you know lol...Not to scare you though,because like Sami said,the baby can go up and down...
Pansy

with my first pregnancy my baby's head didn't drop until the dr broke my water, but i had pains in my pelvis and sometimes down my leg. it was the weight of the baby sitting on my ciatic nerve. it was bad enough sometimes that i thought the baby was going to fall out!!

Well i went to the midwife today and becuase my scan (at 21 weeks) was showing the baby at 19 weeks they have now decided to change my dates.i am suposed to be 31 weeks today according to the mdwifes first dates, according to the scan i should be 30 weeks, but the midwife messured my bump n its 32 cm today, two weeks ago it was 28 cm my uterus has grown 4 cm in 2 weeks :s. she also said that my baby was trying to push its head through into my pelvis, im totally confused this baby cant decide when the due dates going to be lol..

Hiya Carrie

Loads of women have a problem with their due dates...this is because, unfortunately it is quite subjective whether a scan has been done or the symphysis pubis - Fundal height measurements have been done, or whether you are just working out from the LMP.

In any case as a general rule of thumb if the discrepancy from the LMP and the scan in 10 or less days then the dates won't be changed (otherwise it is likely that as you progress through pregnancy your dates wil keep changing). When your midwife measures you she is only looking for a rough estimate of the baby's growth...you will find growth spurts happen so from one week to the next there may be more or less growth than the previous week. The scan is good at assessing organ development, size of head and abdomen on your baby, using this the person carrying out the ultrasound scan will plot the weeks and development.

Health authorities are reluctant to carry out more than two scans (some even carry out only the one) as a cost and resource saving exercise. However, personally, I feel that there haven't been enough research to show the effects on the baby long term with frequent scanning, so I would only prefer to have the one...this is my opinion however. babies are known to respond to scans by moving more etc...so i don't know??!!

Pelvic pains are often caused by nerve compression and the angle that your baby's head is against your pelvis - but I don't think this will cause premature labour. There are many factors that need to take place for you to go into labour - mainly the release of oxytocin. If the baby is well applied to your cervix then in means that once you are in labour things should happen quicker...but it doesn't mean that labour will be started any quicker. :D

Kieren

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back