Baby wipes on newborns..

Rachel1509

Reaction score
Been to antenatal class tonight, and we did all about how to change babies nappies and how to bathe them. All was going well until the lady taking the class decided to say 'Do not bring baby wipes into the hospital when you give birth, all the midwifes will go mad and give you cotton wool instead'.
Now I've read about the reasons why they say cotton wool is best, but I'm one of those people who thinks its just a load of crap! Wipes worked fine on us, and have worked fine on every single baby I've known who's been born recently! There's way too much fuss over things and its hard remembering all these do's and donts!

The fact that the woman at the class tonight seemed to stern about it, provoked me to think 'its my baby, if I want to use wipes then I will'. I WILL be packing them in my hospital bag, and same goes for some of the other ladies in the class who said it was silly!

What's everyone elses views on this?

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

I can tell she wound you up! She can only advise , but she has had the opposite effect I guess!

I'm a fan of cotton wool myself early on, but have no proof that wipes are too harsh, they have made them all more sensitive nowadays.

I had a small tub for water at the hosp on my bed table to use which they gave me and I actually used it at home for 6 mths , but then out of house used wipes as it's not practical to take a tub of water in your bag really. I woulds say for hosp and first poos, it's worth getting the cosmetic squares instead of big rolls of wool to tear off ,as first poos are sooo slippy and slimey, even with wipes it just seems to slide about with no effect.

I'm packing wipes in my hospital and I'm gonna use them. Will be interesting to see if they say anything at my active birth class today.

I packed and used baby wipes at hospital and nobody said anything.

Yeah it did wind me up! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I'm very open to receiving any advice that will help my child, but at the end of the day I want to look after them how I choose to. It was just the way she said it I think. Had she said that it was just recommended to use cotton wool for at least the first month, then that's fine. But to tell us not to pack them in our bags cos the midwives will go mad - quite frankly that makes me want to pack them even more! If I want to use them then I will!

Me and OH are the youngest couple at antenatal class, so I didn't say anything at the time to the lady taking the class. I turned to my OH in a mini hormonal rant though and said how I will do as I please! Then another one of the youngish ladies piped up and said 'well I'm still using wipes' and I said so am I!

Its just a matter of opinion. The antenatal classes are great in my opinion, but i don't think we should be told things in the way she said that. Glad to see there's others who think like me :)

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

I have not used wipes on my baby not and don't intend to until he's at least 6 weeks, BUT I took wipes in with me for hands and his mat and no one batted an eyelid!

Well 20 years ago when I had my daughter I used wipes and covered her lil booty in Sudocrem!! Practically a sin now apparently, but she never, ever, ever had a sore bum!

I didn't use wipes at first, but had them with me. Then one night, about 2am lol, a mw saw them and asked me why I wasn't using them and said just to use them. So I did :roll: Then a few days later, I asked another mw about it and she said they don't recommend them at first (we had been told this at antenatal too, but when mw said to use them, I thought should be ok). I asked HV about this last week, lo's bum area had been fine thankfully, but I would go back to cotton wool and water if she thought best. She said if he hadn't had a reaction by now, should be fine.

Do what you think is best. But be prepared for conflicting info. That's all I got from the mw's in hospital tbh (I was in a bit longer). We were told at antenatal not to use any products except olive oil. The mw bathed lo first for us as a demonstration and used Johnsons...

xxx

Last edited:
Well 20 years ago when I had my daughter I used wipes and covered her lil booty in Sudocrem!! Practically a sin now apparently, but she never, ever, ever had a sore bum!

This was another thing she said too, she said Sudocrem isn't needed at all either!

I've bought Johnsons wipes and only plan on using them on LO, so I think as long as I don't change brands and use lots of different makes on him, he'll be perfectly fine!

Last edited:
I took wipes in, no one went mad but I was told not to use them. When he got home at 5 days I did start to use them and they turned his bottom red raw so it was back onto the cotton wool. I tried after another couple weeks and still turned him sore. I can maybe use them for one change per day now but still mainly has to be cotton wool with warm water x

Vaseline petroleum jelly is good as barrier cream for their bum - I use it on each change and sudocream for if he's a bit sore x

Depends on the baby, some are ok with them from birth and some get sore, my first 3 were fine with them from birth but Jacob has really sensitive skin and he started to get sore with them so I had to use cotton wool and warm water on him until he was 10 weeks old before I could use wipes, cleaning poo with cotton wool is a nightmare lol but I didn't have much choice plus I can't use any of the baby creams on his bum as he seems to get some sort of reaction to them and if he is a bit sore they all make it worse ugh so I have to use a special paste on his bum that I can only get by ordering online.

Last edited:
Im taking a pack in but also taking cotton wool balls, I use baby wipes on my face anyhow so will be using them on myself. I have only just recently found out "we are not supposed to use them" so I will just go with the flow at the hospital and use what I feel is best. If baby does a messy poop thats to much for the cotton wool, I will not hesitate to use the baby wipes, gotta be better than leaving baby with a poopy bum ey :) x

I used cotton wool and water for ages , but to be fair i changed my DD's nappy as soon as i suspected it was wet. I know i got through some but i cant stand letting a nappy fill ( if you get what i mean) and she never had a sore bum ever and she has sensitive skin. When i changed to wipes i just used sensitive ones and again she was fine x x

I used cotton wool and water for ages , but to be fair i changed my DD's nappy as soon as i suspected it was wet. I know i got through some but i cant stand letting a nappy fill ( if you get what i mean) and she never had a sore bum ever and she has sensitive skin. When i changed to wipes i just used sensitive ones and again she was fine x x

That's exactly like me! I can not stand leaving him wet or obviously dirty! Overnight it can't be helped now. When he was tiny an acquaintance actually said 'he's never going to get nappy rash is he?!' like it was a good thing to get nappy rash!!!!

You dont need to use sudocrem unless they have a sore bum and if you do it only needs to be a really thin layer (less is best). Using too much can actually make your skin worse, as it just sits there on the skin going no where. I learnt this working with old people lol. Plus its just a waste

i used wipes on my 2 when they were first born and had no one tell me off for it. All depends on baby. Obviously if one had reacted to them i would have stopped using them and used cotton wool instead. I will be taking wipes with me when i go in to have baby but i use toner on my face so will have cotton wool with me also just in case xx

I used cotton wool balls but her second poo just went everywhere and was so sticky so I used a wipe and had no problems with doing it

My hosp recommend taking in olive oil for the first few poohs, apparently it cuts through the stickiness. Obviously you have to make sure it's wiped off x x

i have found out bout these wipes called waterwipes apparently they are as sensitive as water and cotton wool :) it was on a tv at the hospital :) xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back