Baby too small

SammyT

Reaction score
Im 18 and 27+6 weeks with first, but after having my appointment with the midwife she has said that the baby is too small. when i went to the last appointment (23+1) the mw said the height fundus was 24 weeks, now 4 weeks later the height fundus is only 25 weeks. I know i am 27 weeks as i had to have blood tests done at 7 weeks to confirm that was how far i was. The mw kept sayin that the baby was "neat" but never explained what that meant. Has anyone else had this happen and is it anything to worry about? Oh and does anyone have an explination as to what she meant by "neat"? Any help would be appreciated. This midwife was also different to the one I have seen on every other visit. Thank you. Sammy.

You need to ask her what she ment by that and she should have clarified herself. Call her and ask her what she ment by it. Only she knows for sure.

hi Sammy. i have experienced the same problem, i am now 38wks. My midwife said my baby was small for dates at 27wks as the fundus only measured 25cm. We had to go for another scan to check the growth at 29wks as the fundus still measured 25cm. At the scan they said that the baby is smaller than average but not too small, i might just be carrying less than average water and have a small bump, thats what they mean by 'neat'. Now at 38wks my fundus measures 36cm and the mw says its nothing to worry about but it won't be a big baby. I don't think you need to worry too much as long as the baby is still growing. Hope this helps and try not to worry.

I had a scan at about 29 weeks in my last pregnancy. They told me my babay wasn't growing properly and if he hadn't grown in 2 weeks I would have to have him out straight away.

I was so stressed out, had thoughts of incubators and intensive care units running through my mind all the time for 2 weeks.

I went back 2 weeks later and the baby was fine, and wehn he was born he was 8lb 6oz!!!

In short, I think midwives say things sometime without realising how fragile an expectant mother can be. Lots of times measurements can be wrong, my friend has just had the same thing happen.
Talk to your midwife, explain you are worried about what she said. The measurements may be wrong, or they may be right and your child might be slightly smaller than average. Also, remember not all of your bump is made of baby anyway.
Try not to worry, it will not help your baby grow at all, my midwife should have told me that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back