baby swimming..what do i need?

positivity :)

Reaction score
we are thinking of taking Will swimming on saturday. he is 10 weeks old, what do i need to buy? do i get swimming trunks or those all over suit things, i really am clueless, also do i need ear plugs or anything like that? xx

We took Jack swimming for the 1st time yesterday. He's super slim so we bought him and all in one swimming costume with legs and sleeves and a baby body warmer by Konfidence. I won it for a tenner on ebay. If Will is 'chubby' then I wouldn't worry with the body warmer. Jack also wore a disposable swim nappy. Other than that we took a big towel to keep him warm afterwards and his hairbrush because his hair mats if I don't brush it.

There was a baby in the pool who was around 4-5mths who was just in a reuseable swim nappy and nothing else and he wasn't shivering at all but he had lots of lovely fat rolls! Jack doesn't have any hence the layers to keep him warm!

Hope Will enjoys it if you go :) x

Aww I can't wait to take Alice swimming. Waiting til the summer so it's a bit warmer for her, don't lime the thought of her getting cold afterwards. I've got her an all in one, a poncho towel and I'm getting some disposable swim nappies. I might get a swim seat but I'm going to wait until I know what she's like in the water.

Grace wears a swim nappy with a pair if swim shorts over the top but where we have swimming lessons insist on the double nappy

I thought you couldnt take them until their they'd had all their jabs hun... it was a friend who told me that so she could be wrong. I mentioned it because we wanna take our LOs together and she said to wait until Angel had her 16 week jabs. xx.

Id definatly get a seat it made it so much easier when my lo was little also the pool I went to was cold so would suggest get an all in one. U may want to take a changing mat too so lo can lay on it while getting dressed as I had to lay him on my towel on a hard bench to get ready

Sent from my E15i using Tapatalk

I thought you couldnt take them until their they'd had all their jabs hun... it was a friend who told me that so she could be wrong. I mentioned it because we wanna take our LOs together and she said to wait until Angel had her 16 week jabs. xx.

Think that used to be the advice but it has changed and they don't have to wait any more.

Holly wears a disposable swim nappy and swin shorts cos we do lessons and they have to be double bagged to prevent accidents! Would highly reccomend the swimming lessons, straight away the babies get used to having water in ttheir faces n going under water, it's amazing. It has given me loads of confidence too and taken away any worry. Expensive but worth it. Have fun.

NHS website says that 'You can take your baby swimming at any age, both before and after they have been vaccinated. It doesn't matter if they haven't completed their course of vaccinations yet.
The management of some leisure facilities may suggest that babies shouldn't go swimming until they have had all of their jabs. However, this advice probably dates back to when polio was common and people were concerned it could spread in busy places like public swimming pools. There hasn’t been a case of polio reported in the UK for over 10 years. '
http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1035.aspx?CategoryID=62&SubCategoryID=63

Im planning on taking LO this week or next xx

I have brought all on ones for all
Mine come in very handy for on hols too as most have SPF 50 .found it hard to buy Rheas though instead of the little cute swimming costume with frills ! But was a sensible mummy !! Lol xxx

We're getting going to take Dylan this weekend. I struggled to get disposable nappies in his size but I've ordered a splash about happy nappy which my friend recommended and you can get a reusable liner to go in it I just hope he's warm enough x

NHS website says that 'You can take your baby swimming at any age, both before and after they have been vaccinated. It doesn't matter if they haven't completed their course of vaccinations yet.
The management of some leisure facilities may suggest that babies shouldn't go swimming until they have had all of their jabs. However, this advice probably dates back to when polio was common and people were concerned it could spread in busy places like public swimming pools. There hasn’t been a case of polio reported in the UK for over 10 years. '
http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1035.aspx?CategoryID=62&SubCategoryID=63

Im planning on taking LO this week or next xx

Ah thanks for the info, just remembered my friend was talking about taking our LOs to baby classes so I think it was probably their own requirement. Sorry if I caused any confusion :p xx.

Dont forget ladies if they start looking like their getting cold, you can hug them in close for a bit , while still moving, jumping about and they will wamr up a bit. Staying in the pool for a sensible time, like 30o mins isk a long time when a baby. Devon haks only been once as I'm not so worried about getting him off and running early as I have older ones who went from 4 months (as it was then) and they took years to learn to swim anyway!. I have just nbrought him a pair of trunks to go over the swim nappy as I was the only one with ust the nappy in the pool and felt a bit freeky !!

I have been taking Ella since she was 10 weeks old. She wears a swim nappy and a little swimming costume. I take two towels - one hooded one to wrap her in once we finish and then another normal one to get her dry properly as the first one gets a bit wet. We have a yellow blow up ring that she sits in for a bit and then we get her out of that and in the water to splash around properly. To start with she was only in for ten/fifteen minutes but now stays in happily for about 40 minutes. We always shower her using the handheld shower afterwards which warms her up a bit more and she loves trying to grab it. Have fun xx

I always take two or three towels as ^^wss they get cold in wet towels and also a fold up changing mat to lay LO on so not on the cold hard bench!

LO wears a swim nappy and swimming costume but it's not mega warm in our local pool so am thinking of buying an all in one! X

Sent from my sparkly new iPhone

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back