Baby struggling to poo!

positivity :)

Reaction score
Hi ladies

Will has been squirming loads over the past few days and crying when he wants to poo. I don't think he is constipated as he does a poo every day eventually it's just distressing him to get it out. When he does poo it's soft so not sure why it's upsetting him so much?!

Any suggestions? Can I buy anything to help him? Xx

have you been giving him any water? Leandro had the same problem and hv told us to give him an ounce or two of water and that did the trick xxx

Hey nik I asked the HV if I could him water yesterday, she said yes but then I googled it and it said 6mths on babycentre :oooo:

When do u give him the water? is it in addition to milk or do u replace a feed? Xx

Really? A family friend of ours is a mw and she said its OK too. I think one or 2 ounces a couple of times a day is OK. She did tell me not to replace his milk with it as he wont be getting any calories. I gave it to him when he got a bit grizzly. Maybe babycentre got it wrong or tough Greer it was in addition to baby food? Xxx

I've been giving phoebe an ounce or two of water when she has tummy ache, my mifwife told me to do it too xxx

I'm gonna give it a go. If a mw and hv's have said it's ok then il trust that xxx

Thanks rach and nik, he's being grizzly now so gonna give it a go now xx

i used to give small sips of water inbetween breast feeds, warm bath before bed and then do a cycling motion with his legs which seemed to help.....
also not sure if u r bf or not? but when i stopped bf and changed to formula he was miserable, constantly constipated and all was solved when i changed to a diff formula

i havent used this method but i read soaking prunes in water overnight and then using the water that they were soaked in helps too....

I've been giving her water for a couple of weeks now and its helped I've seen no ill effects. I'd just try and do it not too close to a feed as it could bloat him or make him sick. Hope it does the trick :) xx

I've been giving it to cam too. They even suggested putting a few grains of sugar or a very small drop of fresh fruit juice into the water as the sugar helps them to go xx

ahhh yeah when we were living in italy we used to squeeze a bit of fresh orange (the fruit lol) into warm water!

They say no water until 6 months here too

A couple of grains of brown sugar in water always helped the girls not sure how old they can be to have that though may be too young for anything but water I wouldn't give anything but water unless hv says its ok x

i saw a friend yesterday and she told me her baby woke up screaming in pain and had a really solid poo half out and my friend had to pull the rest of it out!!

sorry, I know it's not advice, I just thought I would share!!! x

Ive been giving Ella half an ounce of water inbetween feeds for the past few weeks and it always makes it easier for her to go (she only goes every other day though so tends to struggle when its poo time!)

thanks ladies.

i've tried the bicycle thing with his legs but it doesn't seem to do much. i'm ff so might try a different formula if the water doesn't settle it down.

i've read about sugar in my books actually but not sure if it says how old, i might give it ago if things don't improve.

pulling babies poo out sounds like fun haha!!

well the good news is that when i sat down and started giving him the water.....he pooped :yay: :yay: i can't say it was the water coz he had literally started drinking it. he's settled down a lot now. i'm going to continue with an ounce of water between a couple of feeds a day.

thanks gals, ur the best :friends: xx

Water won't do him any harm as its natural when they are ff they do get thirsty so need the water glad it's helped him though pos xxx

My mw said to put an extra ounce of water in hisformula and that always makes him go! X

It's unusual they say to put more water in coz usually too muh water or too much powder will make their tummy sore and sick.. I'd defo try the brown sugar but check for an age first.. I'd only try things if she hasn't been in a good few days though.. Only a couple of grains..
Lilyanna does one poo a week and it's so liquidy it comes out of her nappy and all over her!! Theres so much of it it's gross!!
Sod pulling a poo out lmao!!

I heard sugar in the water is good for hiccup. Weve been giving him that for hiccups. Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back