Baby still not engaged!!!!!!

chrystaltips

Reaction score
Had my docs appointment and was hoping for good news but baby is still only 1/5 engaged! I feel very heavy down there and get lots of sharp grinding pains in my pelvis and pelvic floor. I thought for sure she was engaged by now.

I know that some babies don't engage till the end but this is more uncommon in first pregnancies.

Has anyone else had this and still gone into labour fine??

Only 2 days till my :x :x

I've given her a good talking to, but now I'm scared in case it's because she won't fit :pray: I'm not seeing a midwife till T+8 now.

I'M PISSED OFF!!!! Is there anything I can do????

Did the midwife say 1/5 engaged?
Cus it's quite confusing (well confused me LOL) 1/5 if the most engaged you can get (ie 1/5 of the baby's head is able to be felt by the midwife) but some m/w's phrase it differently so that would be 1/5 palp :?

Sorry, that's probably no help :lol:

Aw hun (although that's what my m/w said with my first bubs but she meant that baby was fully engaged.... there still could be hope LOL!)
Get some ice of the top of youir bump and get that baby down :hug: :hug:

:hug: :hug: Don't really know what that means as regards going into labour normally but I have a sneaky feeling I am going to hear the same thing today - if I do ill ask and let you know what the doc says

I thought it meant nearly fully engaged, my midwife explained to me that i means only 1 5th of the head can be felt?

I was reading my pregnancy book last night as I was confused about this too and it says that how engaged you are won't effect how soon you are going to go into labour as while some people take weeks to engage others can fully engage overnight or just as they go into labour. Even though it is more common to engage just before labour in your second pregnancy, it is not uncommon with the first either. So the fact is even though you are only 1/5 engaged now you could fully engage with the space of a few hours/days. Hope that makes sense? The book probably explains it better than me ("what to expect when your expecting"), but I hope that eases your worried a bit :D

KJL is right. Being engaged is absolutely no real indication of when labour will begin. I've been engaged for two weeks now with second baby, and I was told it wasnt likely to happen until labour, but there you go!

Thanks guys :)

I'm just getting to my wits end and the thought that labour might be even further away than I think is the last thing I need right now, especially when people on another forum I'm on who are behind me, all seem to be dropping.

I just want her to come out, preferably of her own accord. I've just spent about 20 minutes bouncing on my birth ball and doing wide hip circles, as I've heard it's meant to help encourage it. Not sure if it does though :lol:

Hi I've got two children and I wasn't engaged either time. Harvey, my first was nearly two weeks late and I was in labour for 18 hours (sat happy as larry after having an epidural - I'm a wimp) before they decided to give me a c-section. I had a section with my daughter too. Don't worry though I'm sure it's different for everyone and if it's any consilation I recovered very well after having both sections (I chose the 2nd) and was walking around the same day and driving a week after.
Hope all goes well.

Well Tia didn't engage until the very last moment... It was one of the reasons I was told that I wasn't in labour when I turned up at the hospital.. .

but in 6 hours she must have done because she popped out and was in my arms in that time.

This time round I engaged early then little miss popped out again... now she back to engaging... she can't make up her mind.

Engagement is no indication of how long your labour will be or when it will start... so don't fret too much..

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back