Baby slings!

Newmum13

Reaction score
I've been hearing a lot about baby slings and was wondering if anyone has had them and would recommend them and also where is a good place to buy them from? xxxx

Yes and yes :)

What sort are you interested in?

I mostly have woven wraps, but also a ring sling and I'm considering buying another that matches my changing bag (LOL).
I also have a Manduca stretchy wrap I bought off amazon (about £16 cheaper than buying from the site! Cost £34 inc p&p)

When are you due?
Are you bothered about brand new or happy to buy "pre loved"?

Last edited:
I do wonder if it will be hot during the summer to wear though

I sold my Moby for that reason. I had bought it ages ago but Mobys are quite thick. I was told Manducas are thinner stretchy wraps so went and bought one of those instead, cant wait to try it!

Ring slings made from woven fabric are also good as you only have one layer of fabric over the baby (and you) where as stretchy wraps have three layers.
Likewise if you are using a woven wrap with a newborn you should only use single layer carries so you don't put too much stress on their bones & joints.

Ahh thank you, I'll have a look at all those :) I've got no idea really what I'm looking for, I'm a first time mum and none of my friends have children so I'm struggling to know what to get and where from etc. Lol xxxx

If you go on google and type your town or city and 'Sling Library' you may find you have one nearby that you can go to and see a few different types and try some out.

Or you could look on facebook for babywearing groups and see if there's anyone local who has slings - most will be happy to chat to you and maybe even have a look at their slings :)

I love wraps best but some people find them too daunting or difficult to tie so prefer Mei Tais (Soft Structured Carriers like Ergo, Tula, Connecta etc).

I tried Mei Tais but found wraps to be comfier for me. And stretchy wraps are really nice for newborns.
Stretchy wraps need tying like woven wraps, and they are long, but stretchy wraps don't need you to wrap quite as well/neat as with a woven so they are good to start out with, and are also cheaper than a woven wrap or a Mei Tai.

Ring slings are perhaps the easiest to start out with and better for newborns than Mei Tais, but they only go over one shoulder so for longer trips out with a heavier baby you'd be better with a two shoulder carrier (wrap or SSC).

Do look for a sling library as that will probably the best option for getting to grips with them before buying (or hiring) one.

I have a close Caboo for when baby is really small and a connecta for when they are a bit bigger. Both are relatively easy to use and lots of you tube videos to follow. Babywearing wasn't a big thing when I had DD1 but now with her being a very active toddler I like the idea of keeping DD2 close to me meaning we can all go out and about to places where the pram wouldn't be suitable - cross country/parks/buses etc! Have a look at some babywearing websites and facebook have some good groups where there is lots of experience to pull on! xx

I tried a moby with my first but he kept stretching out of it as he got bigger so this time I've gone for a ring sling and then plan to move onto woven wraps.

I'm lucky my friend is a sling pro so lots for me to try and borrow!

I've got a stretchy wrap for newborn and then some other buckle carriers for as she gets bigger as well as a woven! It's good to have variety - my husband likes different ones to me :lol:

I'm not a big fan of my connecta, but hubby is. I've got a little lamb ergonomic carrier that I LOVE, unfortunately it's toddler sized and my husband won't let me buy a smaller one for baby (yet!!!) x

Very similar, Tigger.
My ex didn't like wraps (too fiddly) so I bought him a camo print Mei Tai (not sure of the make, it was cheap though).
Then I later bought a toddler Hemp Tai (wrap conversion) which I really like - though still prefer my wraps lol.

Hmm... I might try to get hold of a ring sling to try too. I have a 2nd hand Kari me stretchy one, but it might be a bit warm with a summer baby!

I've got a Kari-me and my husband has gone for the Baby Bjorn again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back