Baby sleeping... FTM

Lou1103

Reaction score
Hi,
Honestly I'm so confused about this!
I don't think co-sleeping is for me.. Not 100% between a crib and a cot yet but my question is related to bedding/sleeping bags.

What do you or will you be using?

I feel like i would trust sleeping bags more than a quilt etc. But then I've also seen pillows for sale and thought they shouldn't be used in cots!

So confused!
To people who use sleeping bags / gro bags, what else do you have in the cot/crib with them?

Thank you! X

I used Grobags, had all different togs for all weathers, used nothing else as its suffocation hazard. Gave him a teddy after 6 months old which he still cuddles now x

Im will use a crib and will use gro/sleeping bags. I will get different togs. I have one for summer already and baby due next month so will maybe get one more for winter. Xx

Yeah that's what I'm thinking of doing too Keely :)
So hard to know how many to buy blueclass lol though i suppose with how quickly our weather can change it's worth getting a winter one just in case xxx

Yeah there are so many togs 0.5, 1.2 so on... I was thinking of two for each time of year but will see how it goes. She won't be able to use them till nearly 9lb so will use cellular blankets till then x

Sleeping bags are great! I used a quilt with my daughter at first but she would move round and end up upside down in her cot so I didn't trust it. Plus I found that the sleeping bags stopped her moving. Obviously Moses baskets don't allow this because they're smaller. Pillows shouldn't be used. And personally I wouldn't risk using a cot bumper. They have been proven to be very dangerous but are still on sale. X

I used sleeping bags for my son I used to wake up and he'd pulled the blanket up over his head! He loved his wee sleeping bags, I didn't use a pillow with him until he was 2 and he now has a duvet but I'll deffo be buying sleeping bags again, gro bags were good also mother are, tk maxx, marks and spencer and matalan had great ones, found the ones from babies r us a bit scratchy just check the TOG for the time of year.
We bought bumpsters for the cot they're individual bumpers for each bar fastened with Velcro they're only small pieces of material even if baby managed to get it off which he never did I don't think it would have harmed him like a big cot bumper would

Last edited:
We have Grobags in a variety of togs in readiness, but I understand that they are best used when baby is approx 8lbs in weight. Our little girl is under this so we've been using either a cellular blanket tucked under her Moses basket mattress so it covers her legs only or a muslin square on the warmer nights we've had recently.

A good friend of mine loved the sleeping bags for her two and recommended them. With a summer baby, I'll likely just use a blanket for a while and barely any clothing, but we did get a sleeping bag from mamas and papas that I can't wait to use... got it using a gift card we were given and it's so damn cute! Might try that once autumn hits...

You're not supposed to use those duvets at all. My little boy used to kick his blanket up and over his head sand those duvets are far too easy to kick off because you can't tuck them in

Those of you who's little ones kicked their blankets up, how old were they? I definitely want to use sleeping bags just worried about that interim where they're below the weight guide.
It's such a scary concept and you hear so many things!
I'm looking at getting those mesh bumpers. Yeah this weather of late is so confusing, woke up sweating for the past few nights! X

Have a look at Mothercares waded sleepers. They are a padded sleepsuit designedfor sleeping, with a tog rating. No need for blankets or grobags.
I didnt like grobags....found it really difficult to wind DS in one as the bag kept moving up as I rubbed his back so it would gather around his feet. Not a major complaint but it really annoyed me.
We used the sleepers up hntil he was two years old

Oooh will have a look at those ! thanks jomc xxx

Those of you who's little ones kicked their blankets up, how old were they? I definitely want to use sleeping bags just worried about that interim where they're below the weight guide.
It's such a scary concept and you hear so many things!
I'm looking at getting those mesh bumpers. Yeah this weather of late is so confusing, woke up sweating for the past few nights! X

My littlest has been kicking off her blankets ever since she was about 3 months. She got to the minimum weight at around 6 weeks old so we started using sleeping bags at night then. We were still using blankets in the day but when she started kicking changed to light bag for naps too, unless it was very warm.
You should find that in the early days blankets will be ok, you can tuck them in quite well with a Moses basket too, it's trickier in a crib! We never had bumpers on the cot & our two year old is about to go into a bed. She's never got a leg stuck or anything.
You will be absolutely fine, go with your instinct & you'll soon be a pro :) x

I started with cellular blankets but I just kept waking up constantly to check- was so scared of them going over his head! Moved to sleeping bag things after a week and haven't looked back- they look so sweet and, as others have said, you can get different togs. Easy to wash and one less thing to worry about with safety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back