baby showers

Positive37

Reaction score
So who has had one or going to have one?

I am 30 weeks now and planning to do one around 36/37 weeks. want to hold it at home in garden, boyfriend will do BBQ and a few friends will come and take over my kitchen
just worried about the weather

my friend said u can do it in a restaurant and invite people and ask them to pay, not sure i feel comfortable

any advice or views much appreicated?xx

I wouldn't be comfortable asking people to pay and I do think your BBQ garden party/baby shower sounds excellent and very intimate. Xx

Personally I don't like them (I like other peoples but a baby shower was not for me!)

Your garden idea sounds lovely though and we should have nice weather then? If not consider hiring a marqee maybe?

xxxxxx

Last edited:
My friends are doing one for me. I don't think I would have felt comfortable throwing my own but really excited they have arranged one. I don't know the plans but I offered them my house to do it as they were going to get everyone to chip in and pay for somewhere and I thought it was too much to ask. I don't really have a clue what they will be doing apart from its on 6th July :)

My sisters doing mine when I'm 36 weeks. Were doing a garden party too so I hope the weather's good!

Xx

My sister is organizing mine probably a BBQ but all the ones I have been to I have been asked to bring a plate of something to add to the buffet so may do that.

My mum organised mine. I decided to have mine in a pub hun and everyone was happy to pay for their own meals.
I printed menu off and said if u want to eat please contact me to place order.

I had a good turn out aswell about 25 turned up :)
It wa a fab day ad id recommed anyone to have one!!

Reason for pub is cos OHs family is huge, loads of aunties and cousins (female) both nans, his mum and i had my female family plus my friends to invite. Also OHs friends gfs lol.. So it started adding up and i didnt have the money to feed the 5 thousand!!!

Hope u enjoy it! I had my at just short of 31wks xxx

Last edited:
Thanks girls - i am pretty understated in that I don't like lots of fuss ( although am very outgoing i dont like the attention on me) but its the only opportunity to have all my friends in one place.
two of my friends have offered to take over my kitchen, BF will do BBQ, i will put some bunting up, get some fizzy wine for friends when they get here. I can go to Aldi and get cheap bits i reckon. get a few friends to make some stuff too.
i cant have mine much earlier than 26th July due to painters in house and friends availability plus i want nursery done so i can show everyone. which means i will be 38 weeks nearly !! am i mad???
only other choice is that i do an afternoon tea which is £14.99 or £23.00 with champagne. am thinking this might be a little easier?xxx

The pub i went to was 2for1 menu, think thats y everyone was happy to pay an eat.

The garden party sounds lovely! I went to my friends who had it in garden with gazebo and bunting with nibbles an sarnies!
Stick to that cos 38wks is close, and ull have a lovely big bump.. U wont wanna go sitting in a horrible chair at a pub!! Ull have all ur gifts at home ready ad wont have to worry about travelling! :) xx

I'm like Carnat and personally don't like Babyshowers. Too American-ised for me. So I won't be having one myself.

For your options, I think your plan for the garden BBQ is lovely, and that any friends you invite will have a lovely, relaxed and happy time.
I would feel uncomfortable with asking people to pay for a restaurant too. Although I suspect that most of your family and friends would be happy to do so. It could be a little tricky if there's anyone who's struggling with money (that you may not be aware of), and buying a gift for baby may be a stretch for them as it is. The garden party is a winner for me though - and people always love haing a nose at baby's nursery.

I don't think you're mad for doing it at 38w. I think it will make it even more exciting and imminent. And you won't have to do anything except smile :)

Im a disliker of babyshowers too , its a bit like wedding lists for me, people would feel obliged to buy a gift rather than just if they wanted to or could afterwards, but that really is my personal thing.

Id go with bbq myself , then your providing food in return for them,

I don't like them either, a nice BBQ sounds nice though x

My friends have organised one for me! We are going to a restaurant but I think your garden party idea sounds lovely as dani said at least your at home and be comfortable! But make sure you have people doing things for you let's hope moo doesn't make an early appearance :) xxx

Thanks girls. Tbh id rather not call it a shower as I really just want to see all my friends in one place.befor bubs arrives.

I really want to do bbq but now wandering if im putting too much stress on myself. Id still need to go and buy all food prior.that week.and house.will.need tidying up.
Oh I dont know now 38wks is.only weekend we can do it...eeekkk

Imo it's good to keep busy and have things planned and to look forward to when you get to those last couple of weeks.

My last baby was due on the 4th Feb, my birthday a few days later. I organised a small party for myself for the Saturday 5th Feb. I spent all day Friday making cupcakes and prepping, only to go into labour that night, so had to cancel. But all my friends understood, and I did invite them stressing it might get cancelled!!

So, no I don't think you're mad doing a BBQ at 38 weeks.

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

My very close friends done one for me we went for afternoon tea, it was lovely, we didnt do baby guessing names and all that stuff really it wasjust a get together bbecause its probably the last time we will alk be together til after baby gets here

I've already heard whispers but I've been told to stay out of it. I arranged one for my cousin who was having twins and the father wasn't around, it was a surprise and she really loved it! We just had a buffet and played some games. I'd snuck everyone into her house so we were there when she got home. I did think she might have gone into early labour!

When I heard whispers I did tell my friends that there were to be no presents, just a get together with all my faves before baby is born. But I doubt they'll listen!

I've got mine next Sunday and don't know why I agreed to let my mum organise it haha

I've been a right grumpy bitch recently and never usually like a lot of fuss! Hoping it's a nice day as having it in the garden - mums putting on a table of food and making a big cake.... games etc.

Wish me luck!

I'm having mine at 30weeks just because I know I'm going to get grumpier as time goes on haha xx

I'm not having one (no one to arrange it for me, boo hoo) but I would imagaine we'll go for lunch at the pub in the week before I leave and quite a lot of my department are keen bakers so I will be secretly dissapointed if there are no decorated biscuits on my last day!

Hey Hun my sister is having one for me on the 28th July ill b 38 weeks by then but she's not worried lol I was a bit concerned at first but just gonna go with it she's having it in hers well supposed to b but her house isn't finished yet eek! But she is planning on having it outside that's all I know as I'm not allowed to b involved in planning she wants it to b a nice surprise for me bless her! Think she's just gonna have party food so sandwiches sausage rolls etc and a few games am all the usual stuff I just hope the weather holds up! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back