Baby seems to be a night owl! Any ideas?

Beatlesfan

Reaction score
Imogen was sleeping well at night until recently. She was sleeping from around midnight to anywhere between 6.30 and 8 am with one wake up during that for a feed. I am BFing and she would always take from both sides. Now she seems to be taking only from one and falling asleep, yet when I put her in her moses basket she won't settle.
She waves her arms and legs around and despite seeming to want her dummy, it soon falls out or her hands knock it out. If I take her out and cuddle her she settles straight away. I try her with more boob but she doesn't want it. I always wind her and she usually does her regular 1/2 big burps. Saw HV today and she said it could be one of the following:

1. Wind
2. Maybe I don't encourage more feed (e.g. 2nd boob) as I am tired
3. She is too tired to take more food

Don't think it's wind as she settles very quickly in my arms and I think she would still be unhappy and unsettled if it was wind despite cuddles (am I wrong to think this?)

I can see it being more 2 and 3, also she sleeps fine during the day. I have noticed she sleeps for short periods in crib, but will sleep longer in my arms or in the car seat... maybe she just likes the secure feeling of being snug? We did used to swaddle her when she was a young baby as she seemed to prefer this, but stopped this almost without thinking about it and she seemed fine not being swaddled. How can I make the moses basket/crib more cosy for her without her getting too hot etc?

Last night she kept waking either for food or dummy (which kept falling out) and I was so tired I was on verge of tears. I felt so sorry for her feeling unsettled, but even more sorry for myself.

Has anyone got any ideas about what the problem might be and any advice as to what I can do?

HV said try INFACOL but I am not convinced it is wind. Don;t want to give her something if it's not needed.

Well, we didn't go down the INFACOL route. I perservered to keep Imogen awake yesterday afternoon and evening (until bath time). She sort of cat napped but fortunately didn't go into a heavy sleep. Also gave her a bath, fed her and put her in her moses basket upstairs and went up with her. that was about 9.30 pm. She slept til 2.30 am, fed, slept til 6.30 am fed and then was awake. Looking at advice in books, net etc. it seems that maybe her body clock is abit out and to try and get up with her at 7 am (ish) after the first morning feed and hope that this is the start of her "day"... it certainly worked last night and today although she has slept a bit more during the day (esp. after baby massage class). I have always stayed in bed if she has gone back off to sleep in the morning and then we get up about 11.00 am but I will be trying to make the effort to stay up after the early morning feed and sleep in the afternoon if poss.

OH is doing the night shift tonight so at least I get a decent night's kip. :sleep:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back