Baby rice!

LaurenMM

Reaction score
I just need some advice please girls. Yesterday I gave Angel a couple of tiny spoonfuls of baby rice and she was absolutely fine. (I'd probably say she had a whole spoonful in total as she spat most of it out). She was fine after it, to be honest though I realised I should've waited but I thought she was ready to try a bit of solid, but there you go trial + error.

Later on I went out and OH decided to give her two more mouthfuls! Don't asked what possessed him to do this, I am not happy he did that behind my back! Again, she seemed fine.

She had her last full bottle at 1am this morn and she should've had another at 5am and another at 9ish (going by her usual 4-hourly routine) and she just won't take them! She has also been sick twice this morn (not huge amounts, just a little) and she's pooed 3 times (the first 2 were small poos and the 3rd filled and leaked the nappy but it was not watery or runny - just normal) :( do you think maybe the rice just filled her up way too much and gave her a tummyache and thats why she's off her bottles now?

I'm just worried about her dehyrating as she won't take water either :( she's still bright + alert and seems happy enough.

I know everyone has their views on feeding solids before 4/6 months but as I specified I clearly misread the signs of her being ready and I realise that I should've waited; so please no judgement or harsh posts!! xx.

Hey hunny!

I'm sure she will be fine..

If you have any more concerns take her to the doctors!

You could try giving her some cooled boiled water?

She's most likely full up! I didn't exactly the same sweetie! She went off her milk , and obviously they need milk over rice so I've stopped giving it to her now.

No judgment Hun. We are all in a continuous state of learning
And the fact that you took time to step back and reflect makes you amazing!!!
Xxxx

Hi hun,

I've just rang the out of hours docs and they're gonna ring back, just in case :)

I tried giving her some water and she just wouldn't take it :( I just awful for giving her the rice now and know I should've waited :( at least I've learnt my lesson now. She does seem ok in herself, hopefully she's just full up like you said.

Thanks for the reply hun xx

Hi hun. I think all these signals baby is supposed to give us are way confusing and most babies don't follow the 'rules'! She is probably full up and I'm sure she will let you know when she is hungry again! X

Grace has had a little bit of baby rice a couple of times but I always give a few days inbetween incase she it doesn't agree
Hopefully she's just has a little upset tummy because of too much in one day. All you can do is keep trying with milk or water, if it was the rice I'm sure she'll settle back down very soon but always if your worried keep trying the doctor or HV

Sound like it was just too much in one day.. Don't let it put u off or think u were wrong to give it to her babe..
I hope she feels better soon and takes her milk and water.. When I started Jaycee (12w) she went right off her milk and went onto juice.. And just had food ever since!! Hated milk after the taste of food!!
All babies are different but ur her mum, u decide what's best and u read the signs she's telling u xx

Thanks girls, I don't feel so bad now as I was just doing what I thought was best... so was OH really but I still didnt like him giving her more behind my back, I just wanted things like that to be discussed with each other first. Doc rang back and said it not to worry and her digestive system has just 'thrown' it out because she isn't used to it and kind of rejecting it. She's just told us to observe her and if she starts getting diarrhoea then to take her to docs. But shes napping now and she seems perfectly content, just an upset tummy xx phew!!!

That's good news :D yeah I agree those things should be discussed.. It wasn't right he done it behind ur back like that :(
Just start off with one small bit of rice a day for a week and gradually build it up so her tummy gets used to it :) good luck babe!! :hug:

Thanks girls, I don't feel so bad now as I was just doing what I thought was best... so was OH really but I still didnt like him giving her more behind my back, I just wanted things like that to be discussed with each other first. Doc rang back and said it not to worry and her digestive system has just 'thrown' it out because she isn't used to it and kind of rejecting it. She's just told us to observe her and if she starts getting diarrhoea then to take her to docs. But shes napping now and she seems perfectly content, just an upset tummy xx phew!!!

That's good, my OH never gives Grace anything but only because he doesnt know what she's already had. I think you just need to remind your OH that you may have already given her some do to check next time

TBH I would wait until she she is a bit older but sounds like she was full from the rice. Milk should be their main source of nutrition still. Do you have weaning courses in your area? My clinic runs them and I recently spoke to a HV and she said to leave weaning until after 20 weeks (even though I have a very big boy)as it is when they have the biggest growth spurt and people often mistake it for need to wean. My lo had it, had me up at night and guzzling down milk but it passed.
Whatever way you go, good luck. I found a good HV i trust so I just ask her for advice but they are hard to find unfortunately

She had a nap and woke up hungry and finished all her bottle with no upset so it looks like she's settled back down again! OH didnt mean any harm bless him but I just said dont ever do it again lol x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back