Baby name wars...

violet13

Reaction score
So with our son it was fairly easy to pick a name we already have 2 boys names chosen and 2 girls names chosen for this one and we had the argument last time with our families over the names we've got for boys Nicholas and Alexander for girls Claudia and Clara both our families hate Claudia with a passion and have said they will not call her that (this was with my son) my mum wants me to choose Emily because "that's what I'd of called a girl if I'd had another" not to be rude to them but if that's how they feel they won't be meeting this baby if they won't use the proper name I won't allow people to shorten my sons name either which they got arsey over. I love Claudia it just fits so perfectly in with our family that I will be really pissed off if people start on about our names again. How can I be tactful but polite? I am tempted to just tell them to F off this time around xxx

Gosh how rude of them to say they won't use a name you have chosen. We are not going to share any of our names to avoid them being 'tainted' by other peoples opinions. It is your baby, not your mums, maybe you just need to point that out to her? We are planning on suggesting some really bizarre names when they ask just to keep them on their toes and away from any actual names we are considering.

I think all your names are great. The one I like the least is Claudia but that is only due to the different ways there are to pronounce it and I like obvious names that people will hopefully get right first time from reading written down. I certainly wouldn't say it was hideous and not to use it though, if it suits you then go for it and stuff what they think!

Gosh how rude of them to say they won't use a name you have chosen. We are not going to share any of our names to avoid them being 'tainted' by other peoples opinions. It is your baby, not your mums, maybe you just need to point that out to her? We are planning on suggesting some really bizarre names when they ask just to keep them on their toes and away from any actual names we are considering.

I think all your names are great. The one I like the least is Claudia but that is only due to the different ways there are to pronounce it and I like obvious names that people will hopefully get right first time from reading written down. I certainly wouldn't say it was hideous and not to use it though, if it suits you then go for it and stuff what they think!

See you where polite about it you weren't rude I understand it's not for everyone but it's very uncommon and old fashioned in a way it won't make the baby seem like a little
Old woman haha. I don't know what names you've picked but I bet their lovely :) I like most names as long as they are silly like south west or whatever it is but I'd certainly not be rude either, I like amber as well if baby is born in June (I'm due 1st July) is like Claudia June cause that's my Nans name (June) and she's not gotten to meet her great grand child :( xxx

I'm called Claudia (I pronounce it with a 'claw' at the beginning)
I love it because it's unusual but people still know the name and it's extremely rare that people pronounce it wrongly. I didn't like my name until I was about 17.
My sister is called Emily!
If you love it you should defo go for it.

Maybe just tell anyone who wants to make a comment that you don't like their name and that you will insist that you call them something else! Me and OH have agreed any names we choose if we decide to TTC baby #2 will be kept secret. We shared our name choices last time and they were mostly well received, but one friend did just say 'I don't really like that name' which I thought was a bit rude.

Your child you name them what you want, never mind them they will call them by heir name, my in laws and I butted heads after my son was born not about name but other things but I stood my ground and they soon learned he was my son and I as mama and what I said in relation to him was how it was going to be, xo

I'm called Claudia (I pronounce it with a 'claw' at the beginning)
I love it because it's unusual but people still know the name and it's extremely rare that people pronounce it wrongly. I didn't like my name until I was about 17.
My sister is called Emily!
If you love it you should defo go for it.

That's how we pronounce it too! Aww wow that's so weird a Claudia and an Emily in one :) do you find it suits you both? I don't want her or him to think we where being mean or anything by calling them those names I just think it would suit a daughter I really do xxx

It is our child and I don't care if people don't like it as long as they aren't rude about it she will probably the only if not one of Claudius in school and it's unique xxx

I love the name Claudia I hadn't thought of it before but it's so so pretty and suits baby to adult. I worry about 40yr olds called angel and missy and trixabelle lol.

Omg Trixabelle? Hahah oh jeez okay that's a bad one xxx

Yep but I keep my mouth shut about names I see as inappropriate lol my friends daughter is called "tia-maria" and we are not allowed to shorten it. it's a pretty name..... for a drink lol

I love Claudia! I say, you name your baby whatever you want to and everyone else can shove it :p

Okay so she really won't let you shorten it? It's not for me but to each their own haha xxx

Lol nope and tia is such a nice name but she's adamant maybe when baby can talk she will change her mind

Sorry but that is kinda cruel and she'll be a teenager raising mums alcohol and find a bottle of it I can tell you now omg that image is brilliant I wish you could see this in my head haha xxx

Lol
baby grows £20
School uniform £70
Bottle of booze £10
Look on your face finding our your mum named you after the drink that led to your conception... priceless

Last edited:
I've had similar issues with our name choice. I think Claudia is nice, Clara i think is nicer, but everyone likes different names etc.

We had 3 girls names :
Evelyn rose (eve)
Harper lily
Willow Rae

3 boys names :
Benjamin beau
Jacob William
Ted William

I absolutely love the name Ted , and dislike Edward / Theodore etc. so decided I would just call our little boy Ted.

We'll both grandmas have said how it's not a proper name and that I should Change to something strong like frank or Harry.

I'm very strong willed and love the name, I have asked my fiancée many times and he said he likes Ted too, so we are going with Ted. We have called our bump Ted from very early on so it would feel strange calling him another name.

I don't care if other people don't like my name choice, it's my baby and feel Ted is the right name for him. He's due 1/12/16 and I can't wait to meet him . . We have 2 back up names incase e doesn't suit Ted at birth but I'd feel really bad calling him something else because grandmas don't like Ted.

Go with your heart, if you like the name go with it, because if you choose a different name because of every one else opinion you'll probably regret it as your calling your child by someone else's chosen name.

Last edited:
Absolutely go with what you're happy with, I think Ted is a super cute name!! xx

Awww Ted is a lovely name! Imagine the nicknames you can have? Teddy bear etc I think if you love that name and you imagine calling your baby that perfect we stuck with Harrison and when they asked we gave his name and they cooed over it haha xxx

I haven't told family or friends baby's name. I've had it picked since about 20 weeks As well.
My daughter is Emilee (Emily) and I got so much stick for it and other name possibilities of close family members.
What I have told family is that I will tell them once baby is born. And if they don't like it they can keep their opinions to themselves, and if they can't then don't bother to visit/see baby. I've already told them I will go mad if they comment on the name once I've named baby.
No one likes every name, there are tons I hate. But a name should be personal between mum and dad. So it really doesn't matter what others think.
My second daughter will be called Keira Elise. I know this won't go down well. My family like traditional names with traditional spellings. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back