Baby name "war"

Purple

Reaction score
:shakehead:

So i am 22 weeks pregnant with a boy :D :blue::bf2:
i chose a lovely name for my son let's call it "E" ; but as so many close people had issues with the name and good reasons for the issue i thought i would carry on searching; i carried on searching and came across an even better name for my son :hug::clap: lets call it "P" ; i told my sister about my new name and she goes "oh noo! that's Lucy's future son's name" :oooo::shock::shock::shock: Lucy being her best friend. i thought nothing of it and just said "oh wow" with no intention to change my name.

i thought, ok, let me atleast let Lucy know that i am using this name. i contacted her and Lucy was so distraught! proper BROKEN! at the end of her panick she said "well there has to be 2 of them then" meaning that she will still name her kid "p" . i am fine with this as i know that when the time comes she will probably not name her kid "P" as it would remind her too much of my son. Lucy and i are like family, she is practically my lil sister. but Lucy is currently single -_- ; we have no clue whether she will even have any boys :oooo:

she keeps goign "yh it's cool, that's cool" as if she is giving me permission to use the name :-o

i will ofcourse go ahead with the name but i am wondering whether any of you would have expected me to drop the name if you were in Lucy's shoes?

Hell to the NO!

What age is she? Im sorry but if a single lady and your sister reacted like that regarding a name YOU have chosen for YOUR son who is due some time soon, Id tell them to piss off and grow up :rofl:

I named my wee boy Jackson, and months after it my friend called her wee boy Jaxon. I was a bit miffed and annoyed because we are friends and I personally wouldnt call my child that if my friend already had a baby by that name but to hold out on a name you like because someone may use it in the future is mental.

What if she never has a boyfriend or kids or never has a boy? You cannot be expected to make your life choices around someone elses. Family or not.

I cant believe I just read that. No one owns a bloody name. Even Beyonce tried to get Blue Ivy's name copyrighted. Cant ever happen.

If you like the name, name your child what you want, and just mention if there are any snide remarks or "its cool" that actually she doesnt own the name, and unless she pops a child out before you and names her son that then she will need to wait her turn to name HER baby like everyone else!!

xxxx

I won't be discussing my name choices with anyone except my husband as it's absolutely nobody else's business.
You don't need 'permission' from anyone to name your baby a certain name, if people don't like it ..... tough shit :)

hahah Russellmuscle you made my day! thank you so much. that's exactly how i feel but i actually felt bad and awkward and wondered whether keeping the name is bad. but yes, it's very childish, she is 25.

yes SCN i agree, should have really kept the name secret as too many people have an opition! :-( i had only planned to discuss with brother and sister. anyway, we live and learn :) so glad that no one is against me, i really needed an honest opinion.

Ive not told anyone my name.

Ive shared names I like. But I wont be telling people as they have no input?

I wont be standing there defending naming my child something. If anyone else asks, just say we dont have a name yet.

Simple

xxxx

My first reaction to the sister would've been already like lol she ain't even pregnant or going to be any time soon by the looks of it (referring to being single) I'd probably would've left telling her until after the baby is born! But ah well! Life goes on, Lucy will get over it!

Not at all. Your baby your choice! We already have names chosen for both genders and a couple of people know of them and pretty much all of them dislike both. Tough luck our decision will take priority over everyone else. If someone who is pregnant now chooses the same name then I wouldn't change my mind but equally wouldn't think that it was my right to have a fit over it and tell the mother to be that she cant use the name

No way would I not call my baby something just in case someone who's not even pregnant yet someday gets pregnant and wants to use that name LOL.

Go with what you like :)

I have names picked, the boy's name is pretty "out there" and I haven't come across another with that name, but I'm not sharing yet anyway just in case, only a few people know, one of them is my mum and I wasn't even going to tell my mum but I did tell my kids (only because they were wanting to call the baby all kinds of names I don't like so told them I'd already picked) well my eldest went and told my mum about a month ago which I was annoyed about as I didn't want to announce it til the baby was here.

I really like the name Lucy. I wonder if she'd mind if I borrowed it :think:

lol Momoftheboo.. so funny lol

and heeey phoenix! i feel like i am bumping into an old friend! lol ;-) ... aww! your kids are prob just so excited that they told Grandma. my daughter was about to tell everyone what our top 3 was (as she created a family whatsapp group) i told her not to. i really wish i kept it quiet but i dont feel as awkward as i did yesterday and this morning.

thank you guys

There is only one occasion where I would think that naming your boy 'P' would be inappropriate - You were discussing names with a pregnant friend who happened to mention 'P' as one of their options, and you decide during that conversation you liked it.

The fact that your friend isn't pregnant, nor is likely to have a baby in the next 9 months mean they will just have to live with the fact that you have named your child 'P'.

The only thing that would make me swither if I should, is if it would offend me if the friend then decided to name their own child 'P' down the line.

Lets be honest, not everyone likes the same names when it comes to it n the end anyway. Or you might take one look at your new baby and think they really wouldn't suit a name!

It's not even your sister, is just a friend of your sister. Names get duplicated all the time. I liked the name Emma for a girl but my cousin has a name similar so didn't use it but I would t expect someone to change their babies name because I had wanted it... Who k own she may never even have a boy or have any kids at all. It's really silly tbh.

I discuss names with family and listen to their imput because I'd hate to chose a name my mother absolutely loathed. And I like heir input.

Ive not told anyone my name.

Ive shared names I like. But I wont be telling people as they have no input?

I wont be standing there defending naming my child something. If anyone else asks, just say we dont have a name yet.

Simple

xxxx

Totally agree with Russell Muscle! Thats exactly what i did with my first and what i intend to do with my second...its no one elses business you shouldnt need to ask anyones permission at all! Goodluck!

The age old fighting for names is popular in my family too ! Very childish and sad !

My sister has 4 kids ! (b)
My brother and his wife have 5 kids ! (A)
I have 1 , yes just the one .

Well when either a or b was pregnant , they wouldn't tell anyone there names in fear of a or b naming their child that ( they were often pregnant at the same time ) as soon as a was pregnant , b would be at it like a rabbit and vice versa

I remember when b found out was having a boy and had picked a specific name and a found out and said that's what I'm having and there was right fighting .

I found it all very sad to be honest, grown women acting like children .
I called my son Christopher and wasn't really bothered what others thought. I wanted a traditional name he could shorten , let's face it Chris and Christopher never really go out of fashion.

He's 10 this year and I just found out I'm pregs again !!
Well my sister ( b) has found out and she is going on about how her and her man want another ( they have 4!)
It wouldn't normally bother me but neither work and never have and they always complain about how hard work their kids are , so it's like he wants one just because she wants to have the youngest child in the family ( another issue that was often seen between a an b )
It's very sad but hey , it's her choice , if he wants to be stuck with 5 kids ! Neither of them work so financially they'll struggle as they struggle now. Although her man always has money for beer and cigs

But that's another political debate !!

Call your babe what you like as loads of people have same name , Google your fav name theirs probably hundreds ! So it doesn't really matter that Lucy thinks she shall be the only one to have a son named p or b etc . She's childish and silly . Besides when / if she does get pregs the fashion on names may have changed .

I had kris for my 1st and this time if it's a boy I picked a totally different name from a much older generation ! :) . Chris would have been Tia Louise but I don't like it now so have picked a different girls name too as we staying team yellow like we did with Chris :)

When I was 19 I thought "If I ever have a boy, I'll call him Rhodry Corwin Zaccharius" (and probably a couple of extra names in there - the first two were ones I'd got from some fiction I'd read & liked).

Anyhoo, scoot 17 years into the future, my baby's initials are J & E, and completely completely different from the ones I'd picked out all those years ago.

Part of this is because there's no way my partner would have gone with any of them. Perhaps Lucy may have the same issues, that her future OH doesn't like the name P?!

Anyway, there's no need to feel guilt and yes the way she's acting does remind me of a 14 y/o who got really upset when I bought (as a 23 y/o) a similar outfit to one (I didn't know) she had!! :D

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy xx

The age old fighting for names is popular in my family too ! Very childish and sad !

My sister has 4 kids ! (b)
My brother and his wife have 5 kids ! (A)
I have 1 , yes just the one .

Well when either a or b was pregnant , they wouldn't tell anyone there names in fear of a or b naming their child that ( they were often pregnant at the same time ) as soon as a was pregnant , b would be at it like a rabbit and vice versa

I remember when b found out was having a boy and had picked a specific name and a found out and said that's what I'm having and there was right fighting .

I found it all very sad to be honest, grown women acting like children .
I called my son Christopher and wasn't really bothered what others thought. I wanted a traditional name he could shorten , let's face it Chris and Christopher never really go out of fashion.

He's 10 this year and I just found out I'm pregs again !!
Well my sister ( b) has found out and she is going on about how her and her man want another ( they have 4!)
It wouldn't normally bother me but neither work and never have and they always complain about how hard work their kids are , so it's like he wants one just because she wants to have the youngest child in the family ( another issue that was often seen between a an b )
It's very sad but hey , it's her choice , if he wants to be stuck with 5 kids ! Neither of them work so financially they'll struggle as they struggle now. Although her man always has money for beer and cigs

But that's another political debate !!

hahah Aries this is sooo funny! good on you for being the mature one in all of this and CONGRATS on your second kid!! whooop!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back