Baby nails

LaineyG

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
Mhairi is now 11 weeks old and I still have to keep her in scratch mitts!

I trim her nails all the time and she still manages to scratch her face.

Does anyone have any tips on how to soften her nails or stop the scratching (apart from scratch mitts or mothercare magic envelope babygros obviously! hahahaha)? I'm really keen to let her have her hands out to start exploring things, but worried that she scratches her eyes!

xxx

My LO is almost 4 months old and we still have her in stratch mitts. Her nails are always so sharp no matter how much cutting or filing I do. However, I do worry that this may hinder her learning how to use her hands, so now we leave the mitts off during the waking hours where we can keep an eye on her.

i keep a file next to the sofa, when she falls asleep i try and keep them filed down.

Baby nails are so sharp aren't they - I can cut them every few days and they are still long and sharp!

Never used scratch mitts... we just bite them when he's feeding :)

My midwife told me never to use scratch mits as the baby would scratch their face and then think "ouch that hurts" and would learn not to do it again. So I took her advice and never used the mits and Poppy did scratch herself more than once but the sudocrem would came out and heal the scratch so quickly. She is fine though and I definately wouldn't use them with the next baby. Mhairi should be fine without them and they do learn in the end. Just keep the nail clippers close by! x

nefisher said:
My midwife told me never to use scratch mits as the baby would scratch their face and then think "ouch that hurts" and would learn not to do it again. So I took her advice and never used the mits and Poppy did scratch herself more than once but the sudocrem would came out and heal the scratch so quickly. She is fine though and I definately wouldn't use them with the next baby. Mhairi should be fine without them and they do learn in the end. Just keep the nail clippers close by! x

Wish that was the case with my LO, but apart from the scratching, she also digs her fingers into her eyes, so I'm worried she'll scratch her eyeballs.

there fingers are so tiny too, we bought some absolutely tiny clippers from Mothercare & they are really good for little fingers.
or if desperate or not long enough to clip, then you have to gently bite i suppose. :D

them beby nails, eh? :roll: millie's always scratching her face up :(
i try to keep on top of them but its soooo hard cutting her nails coz she wont keep still and im afraid of cutting her finger and they grow back so fast! i never used scratch mitts they just fell off and lost loads

Tom manages to wriggle out of scratch mits but I hae found socks are good and stay on his arms!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back