Baby Monitor

kittykitchn

Reaction score
Can I have some suggestions, please? It's one of the last things on my list to buy.
I'd imagine I'll buy second hand, unless there are some good lower priced ones new and unless second hand is a bad idea? Budget is £30 max, really - but will obviously spend whatever is needed.

Baby will be in a crib next to the bed until moving into the nursery. I would prefer a sensor mat one that goes off if breathing/moving stops - but I've also seen that these can go off randomly for no reason and give the parents a heart attack! Are they worth it?

I guess unless baby is being left alone in the nursery there's no reason for a traditional monitor or a video one.

Any help is much appreciated.

I've got the same one as beanie and I really like it. It's never gone off randomly. When the baby was in the crib next to me I was so bad for constantly checking she was breathing and I know without the mat id be up and down checking her during the night, it's just that extra piece of mind I need. She still wakes twice a night so she still gets checked but not every hour

Angelcare ac401 for us too. We used it for dd1 and I loved it - no complaints. Just keep your eye out for deals or second hand ones x

I managed to get a good deal off amazon on the Angel care one with like family discount whilst on a trial! When baby is in the same room for a while when newborn it's a bit unnecessary as they just don't sleep enough for it to be useful so you have some time to shop around! My sister in law didn't even have a monitor in the first few weeks and it was her third! Still ended up buying the Angel care but for full price in tesco, so I'd say it's worth looking around how to get the best deal. I used it a long time until my OH pulled it out when it went off when I took little one down one morning for him to have a lie in! Cause he was already 2, he bought a cheap tomy one. Which is fine the only downside with that one is that it needs charging every other night when switched on as the battery doesn't seem to last as long as on the Angel care one!

I had a lovely monitor last pregnancy that was a night light as well and it wasn't expensive at all, I can't remember what make it was now but I will be getting the same one again this time - never used a mat thing or a video one xx

Well the Angelcare one is £40 on Amazon, so half price really. MIL also asked last night whether we need anything, so perhaps I'll mention that to her next time. I did wonder whether it was even worth it if baby is next to me, but I do think I'd feel better off with it - and if it last a couple of years, then why not

I should add we didn't buy ours. A few of my oh's best friends said they would chip in and get us something and I said a monitor and this is what they picked. They did well for men I think. It just sat in the box until she went into her room at 6 months

I have the snuzas which clip onto their nappy. The only thing you have to make sure the nappy isn't slack or can cause the alarm to go off if not resting on the babies tummy to detect movement x

We've also got the Angel care monitor, it's only gone off when we've picked him up and forgotten to turn it off. It was reassuring in the early days to know we'd be alerted if there was a problem. He was in with us until 3 months and we still use it now at 6months.

I'm still using the angel care monitor and lo is 2.5. We used the sensor mat until 9/10 months when he started moving around more in his sleep and it went off a few times. It was great peace of mind in the early days though as we had him in his big cot in his own room from 3 months. No complaints, it's a great monitor. I reckon we will still be using it til he's a teenager haha! xxx

We have a BT video monitor and love it. Most of its features came into their own when she got old enough to learn to self settle, but being able to see her has always been very useful and reassuring. They are expensive though so not sure if you could get a 2nd hand one in your budget. We started off with a more basic Tomy sound only one but didn't need to use it until 4 months when she started going to bed before us.

In terms of video, you could buy a cheap tablet and download an app that links with phone, pc or tablet... Theyr pretty cool.

Last time we had a tomeetipee video monitor and sensor mat but may go with the snuza clip next tme and perhaps buy a seperate video monitor, can get em easy on amazon for 40 quid with nightvision too..

Prob use video more so with it bein our second. Both LOs will be sharing so need to keep an eye on J too or if im in the loo/shower.

Need eyes eveywhere.

xxx

Last edited:
Angelcare here too - wouldn't have been without it.

We have got a cheap Motorola sound only monitor, which is quite frankly useless as the connection always drops out. But at the time we knew no better, but I'm thinking next time definitely a video monitor or one with a sensor mat as I've never heard a bad review.

Angelcare for us too. It's only recently started to go off now that LO can move around his cot as he pulls the cable out!

We got the angelcare sensor mat monitor and it was one of the best things we bought xx

I had the angel care sensor mat (without the baby monitor bit just the mat) given to me.

So we uaed that for movement and breathing and trn biught a BT baby monitor for when he moved into his room which also acted as a nice night light.

Couldnt rate the angel cares enough. Out of the 2yrs we used it it only went off twice as false alarms. One due to sensitivity dial being down to low (oh moved it) and the 2nd he started to move about in cot and ended up the other end, off the mat so wasnt able to detect, again we just turned up the sensitivity button and it never went off falsly again.

We used it while he was in our room aswell as his own x

Last edited:
Hi if you wanted to higher your budget...this is the one ive got

Motorola MBP622 2.4 inch screen.

I imagine you could get one second hand! I didnt like the idea of the sensory ones purely because id heard what you did that they go off. This one is great its suppppper sensitive to sound- i hear everything! Also videos the baby so you only need to turn over in the night and look at the screen. Also zooms in onto the baby. Its great! Ive seen these on ebay for 30, maybe have a look?

Last edited:
We're going to get the Angelcare sensor mat and both do a paediatric first aid course so we know what to do if we needed to xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back