Baby lotion/ body wash etc

Brooksy

Reaction score
Hi

What is the general consensus on using baby lotion and body wash on a new born when in the bath? Obv I have read a lot about only using cotton wool and water for poops, but I wasn't sure if it is literally water only for anything or not?

I've got baby bath and top to toe wash, baby's dad bought some shampoo but tbh it's always a waste as it can be washed in the top to toe wash. I've always used these, baby's will get dry skin but they will get that regardless of what you put in the water.
Olive oil is the best thing for moisturising dry skin though, i found the lotions and creams rubbish in comparison x

Don't buy Johnsons products, the ingredients are horrific.

I wouldn't use baby oil or baby lotion, but I would use a tiny blob of gentle baby bath or bodywash in the bath water now and then.

I would look for a good one though which is SLS and Paraben free.

All you NEED is cotton wool and water for a while. Babies just don't get dirty! I didn't bath my son alot when tiny, he had a daily top and tail and maybe a weekly ish bath. It was only during his bath I'd use things like body wash or shampoo - because I loved the smell :)

I also got suggested to use the pink baby lotion one for his bum with cotton wool when he was a bit bigger - for the pooey nappies. I never liked that much though - it always felt too cold!!! Xx

I used olive oil in Bs bath from early on as he had quite dry skin. After that I used some butts bees baby shampoo as he had so much hair and water was not doing a good job of getting rid of the afterbirth in his hair lol

Don't buy Johnsons products, the ingredients are horrific.

I wouldn't use baby oil or baby lotion, but I would use a tiny blob of gentle baby bath or bodywash in the bath water now and then.

I would look for a good one though which is SLS and Paraben free.

The johnsons product made in the uk don't contain all the nasty stuff that's in the American versions xx

You're supposed to bath using just water but I ignored that advice personallY. My sons skin was very dry and I found that Johnson's body wash helped put moisture into it and solved the issue. Tesco products and mum and me products arew great but add a (or was it superdrug?) brought him out in a bit of a rash. We also gave go on cotton wool after a few days and went to sensitive wipes too and he was fine.

Th I say neighbour flow and go with what works for you

I do found that putting my son in the r recommended temp water ma d e him scream but just sloghyl y warmer made him very relaxed before bed.

I'm a very easy going mum and just go with th e flow and I think thsts why inbound first few months so easy and not stressful

Last edited:
I have also been told not to use Johnson, as there's recently been some studies on what's in it. I've been bought some lansinoh bath products which smell lovely and all natural x

I bought a really cute 'Burts Bees' set for babies which i can also be purchassd from boots (mine was from amazon) i think that shluld be kind to skin

'each of these natural baby care products is pediatrician-tested and without phthalates, parabens or petrolatum'

however might reserve it for when he is a bit older, I will try water first. Someone also just recommended oats in a muslin cloth in the water for dry skin but I don't know the ins/outs or science behind this yet. think oats are good for skin from what I remember :)

Last edited:
useful thread..I'm not really sure what I'm going to use yet. I've got a big multipack of water wipes so I'll be using those, other than that I'm not too sure what's best, especially if baby takes after me with sensitive skin.
I was thinking some gentle johnson's milk and honey soap bars and a little of the baby oil, but there seem to be mixed reviews. I love the smell of johnsons, the top to toe seems nice along with the purple bedtime bath but now I'm not so sure. we want them to smell all lovely and be clean but more importantly they're skin to be happy!
Any other thoughts of this would be good :) ive always thought using talc was good too, just a little under there arms or legs but now I'm confused Xx

For me, talc is a definite no no. You can buy the liquid version which I use for my older girl occasionally x

It's hard, as there is cons to everything. There's always something cancer causing or toxic In all of these products. I only found out about Johnson cause my mum is a health visitor. I have a basket full of the stuff though, so not sure what I'll do with it all x

If you look online the nasty stuff in johnsons is old news and is mainly in American products...it isn't put in the uk products xx

For the first few months I used all natural stuff just a few drops of oil in the bath. One application of gel on the sponge did the lot as he was so smal :lol:

I think after 3m we used our johnsons stuff. Morning baths Id use the orange top to tail one its super yummy and at night the lavender set.

Jackson is fair skinned and like me sensitive but the johnsons products were fine. If your worried and have some stuff already you could wait until baby is a bit older and you know how their skin will be..

We used water wipes for 3m then switched to sensitive. Hes had a handful of rashes in his 3 years, caused by illness or teething.

Talc is a no go. Ive heard babies can suffocate on this, not sure if its a horror story but we always got by on lotion. Was easier to do bed massage with too.

Go with whats right for your baby, I am sure as mums we all do one thing or another that we are "not supposed to do" not everyone follows the book :p

xxxx

Last edited:
For the first few months I used all natural stuff just a few drops of oil in the bath. One application of gel on the sponge did the lot as he was so smal :lol:

I think after 3m we used our johnsons stuff. Morning baths Id use the orange top to tail one its super yummy and at night the lavender set.

Jackson is fair skinned and like me sensitive but the johnsons products were fine. If your worried and have some stuff already you could wait until baby is a bit older and you know how their skin will be..

We used water wipes for 3m then switched to sensitive. Hes had a handful of rashes in his 3 years, caused by illness or teething.

Talc is a no go. Ive heard babies can suffocate on this, not sure if its a horror story but we always got by on lotion. Was easier to do bed massage with too.

Go with whats right for your baby, I am sure as mums we all do one thing or another that we are "not supposed to do" not everyone follows the book :p

xxxx

Did you use the water wipes from birth? I have heard mixed reviews but was tempted to try... Don't want to upset her though!

Thanks all for your replies, really helpful. I haven't got any products at the mo, I just saw some on offer in tesco and it got me wondering so I thought I would ask you knowledgeable lot! I'll have a look around and see what I fancy x

The water wipes are fine from birth as they are literally cotton wipes soaked in water. No chemicals etc..

I had zero issues with both wipes. Ive known people to use sensitive from birth and be fine and ive known people to use cotton wool and water and have just as many rashes my neice in particular. Wee soul always had a rash.

It really does depend on baby. The water wipes are fine to start and when or whether you switch to sensitive baby wipes is up to you.

xxx

I only ever used talc on my son when we went swimming... I just don't think you need it much... That said he didn't have baby rolls and I know a lot of people use them on the skin rolls. The talc issue is with using it in the genital area of girls. I tend to use tescontalk because it's cheaper (but as I say I bet rarely use it as I just never really need to if you Dry them well. I've not used baby oil or lotion, not once.

Wipe wise foe NB I use buggies pure as he came out in a little rash once with pampers sensitive. Now we use tesco wipes which are awesome

With my two babies I used cotton wool and water in the hospital then went to Asda Angels wipes after a week (had enough of using the cotton wool) With my daughter we used johnsons baby lotion as she had really dry skin due to being 2weeks late and she was fine it helped with the dry skin. I just used water in the baby bath as I love newborn smell skin and only started using bubble bath when they were a lot older. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back