baby lost weight

soconfused

Reaction score
hi all i know you havent heard from me in a long time, little evie sleeps through the night so she is very active in the day!

i went to see the health visitor yesterday and evie lost 2oz. she advised me to give her 1bottle in the day to bulk her up but to carry on breast feeding as normal. evie had her jabs 2weeks ago and just doesnt eat as much as she used to, she feeds every 4hours but sleeps 10ish hours a night so she obviously isnt getting as much as she needs in the day.

i dont want bottle feed her at all. if anyone has got any advice or any similar situations? i would be happy to hear them

xxx

Hello!

Maddie lost weight for the first three weeks - after that I was so paranoid that I wasn't satisfying her, that I started giving her one bottle of formula. I do it for the last feed around midnight - I breastfeed from one side first, then top her up with the formula, and she sleeps through 'till 4am when I breastfeed her again.

Anyway, this week for the first time since she was born, she actually gained weight - she's just 3 ounces away from being back to her birth weight now so the bottle seems to have worked.

I'm also glad that she's taken to the bottle as eventually when I'm able to express enough milk (can only express around 60mls in one sitting at the moment :oops: ) it means I'll be able to go out for a while without Maddie and hubbie will be able to give her a bottle!!

Anyway, sorry my response involves giving a bottle which you said you didn't want to do. It's working for me as she's still getting the benefit of breastfeeding, but she's now gaining weight as well which makes me feel a lot better.

The health visitors often seem to be quick to suggest feeding your baby with formula. Have you tried speaking to a breastfeeding counsellor? The NCT can put you in touch with someone local and some hospitals have drop-in clinics - they may be able to give you some diet tips or simply tell you to stop worrying as perhaps losing a couple of ounces one week is no big deal.

Good luck

LBxx

Hi,

Jack lost a fair bit of weight also (which is normal) but he is not gaining what he should be now.

I am breast feeding but apparently not producing enough milk so Im also topping up with formula.
Its only been a few days so not sure how succesful it is. I am also trying to hand express in between feeds to hopefully increase my flow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back