Baby items you don't really need (metro article)

I agree with almost all of it. DD got cold easily and lived in hats to start with though. She actually liked them and didnt pull them off. And we were given a bath that props up on the edges of the big bath. We have used it loads.

I have loads of socks and about three pairs of bootees too.

I do think feet have a tendency to get cold.
And I do have a few outfits lol, but mostly just vests, rompers and babygrows. I expect my summer baby will spend most of their time in just a vest or vest & socks, but if we go out and it's a bit cooler I do have 3 or 4 long sleeved tops and about 4 or 5 pairs of trousers ranging from thin/lightweight to heavy weight (ie one pair of cords, the rest are thin).
I don't think I'll be bothering with hats but if the baby were due in winter I would when we went out.

Disagree with about half of those!
Things I wouldn't want to be without:

- Changing table (I have a bad back)
- Nappy sacks & associated bin (cheap plastic bin from Tesco) - my mum complained about the smell in the kitchen when I used to throw them in there initially, I don't have time to go and chuck them outside every time baby does a poo. Nowt wrong with a cheapo bin
- Cot bedding - I have a breathable bumper
- Wet wipes - these are easy to buy and convenient, don't see the problem really
- Baby journal - I created my own custom diary for baby age 1-2 so I can note down the cute things he does. I wish I had had one earlier.
- Pram - well, travel system where the baby carrier part goes on the same base as the now pushchair attachment.
- Electronic toys - I know I shouldn't, but they do keep him occupied (especially on the changing mat)

:)

The pram and the wet wipes are quite baffling... I don't know how I'd get around without a pram, plus it's handy to hang all your shopping bags on if you're a non driver like myself :)

and wet wipes are a god send!!

I think the pram depends on you and the baby. DD always screamed in the pram after about 4 mins so we would just end up pushing the pram and carrying her. In the end we gave up and used a baby carrier instead which worked much better for her. DS on the other hand liked the pram. I think a lot of mums also end up finding that their expensive pram is too heavy to handle and end ip using a cheap lightweight stroller instead.

I agree with some, but not all. I didn't buy a changing table, I bought one that slots over the cot which is perfect for me as I too have a bad back, and it is the perfect height. I had a baby bath for about a week with my daughter so that was pointless, but pushchair, wipes, breastfeeding cover, nappy bin I just completely needed all these things last time! I loved my nappy bin last time so much lol, I was going to go with cloth ones this time but decided against it for a few reasons so I have invested in a nappy bin.

One thing I will add that is a luxury but I used it a lot last time was a swing, I used it daily, but not for too long just whilst I did housework etc so I could be hands free.

Interesting article though, I do see how you could live without these things if you were really good at like washing wipes and stuff haha!

I needed my breastfeeding aprons to give me the confidence to go out and about and feed, I wouldn't do it without them no way.xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back