Baby is not affectionate.. At all!!

Karenb

Reaction score
Hi, my 8 month old daughter hates cuddling and kisses, she pushes me away. When she hurts herself, she kind of shows she wants to be picked up but just cries and pushes me away again. As a very affectionate person, I'm finding this hard!! Anyone else experienced this, and was it just a phase??

They Defo all go through phases so I wouldn't worry. My 2 year old can be extremely affectionate but only on her terms lol!

Yes, it's more than likely a phase. My daughter didn't give a proper hug until she was 18 months!!! She would also push me away. Now she's almost 4 and she gives lots of hugs and kisses. There is also that wonderful moment where they say "I love you too mummy" for the first time. It will come!

Karen its a sign of independence, if either you or your partner are like that or you have instilled in her the confidence to be independant then this can be the result. Our lil girl is 10mths old and only just starting to want cuddles etc esp when tired/teething, before that same as you reach, pick up, 2 secs then reach to be put down wanted to be exploring but I think as she's now crawling and walking with hands the world is a bit scarier for her so comes back to me for reassurance, what stage is your LO at with motion? This could be why...

Karen its a sign of independence, if either you or your partner are like that or you have instilled in her the confidence to be independant then this can be the result. Our lil girl is 10mths old and only just starting to want cuddles etc esp when tired/teething, before that same as you reach, pick up, 2 secs then reach to be put down wanted to be exploring but I think as she's now crawling and walking with hands the world is a bit scarier for her so comes back to me for reassurance, what stage is your LO at with motion? This could be why...

Ah ok, independence is good!! She's trying so hard to crawl, just rocks back and forth at the mo though!! She's started being a bit funny with eating too- particularly being spoon fed so I guess that could be it too? I'm happy with her to feed herself with finger food but she doesn't get much eaten that way. Thanks for reply xx

My baby was none too keen on cuddles, but we seem to have built up a physical bond through rough & tumble play (e.g. climbing repeatedly over Mummy Mountain). I think you have to do it on baby's terms.

The other day he was tired and feeling unwell and walked upto me where I was sitting, I picked him up and popped him on my lap, started stroking his hand & the next thing I know he was asleep. He's 13 months old now.

I have a great photo of him at 10 weeks old from a professional photographer where his body language appears to be going "no, mummy" - putting a finger on my lips & pulling away after the previous photo of me kissing him, lol! I think it's funny as it shows he's already got a strong personality from the moment he was born! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back