baby. in the bed

Lisa_85

Reaction score
I found that while feeding through the night its easier for Issac if we're both lying down as my flow doesn't seem to choke him, but i have to wait for him to be in a deep sleep before i can put him on his crib only problem is I'm so tired I'm falling asleep in bed with him and waking an hour later. I feel so bad because h shouldn't be in the bed and I'm worried he will pick up on this habit. He is just over 2werks any advice to either settle him in the crib straight after a feed or keep me awake an extra 5mins would be appreciated

Lisa xx

Hey chick...my LO is 12 weeks and if she wakes in the night I still feed her in bed lying down and have often fallen asleep for an hour or so! I just make sure I put her in her cot as soon as I wake and she has been fine....I've not had a problem with her going down!

I think in the first few weeks I was that tired that I couldn't stay awake lol! But I think as long as I put her straight in she's been fine ;) HTH xx

Sent from my nearly buggared iPhone!!

We had the same problem and our LO ended up sleeping with me (superking size bed + OH is sleeping in another room anyway). I found it impossible to get our little girl to sleep in the crib before she was 7 weeks as she would somehow feel that I wasn't there with her and would start tossing and turning and waking us both up.

2 weeks is very young. It seems that it takes time for them to trust you and become more happy sleeping away from you. We finally got her to sleep in the crib at 6-7 weeks after patiently putting her in it to sleep but taking her out as soon as she became unhappy.

To be fair there's nothing wrong with having him on the bed with you as long as you make some slight adjustments such as not having alcohol before bed and sleeping with separate light blankets for you and him rather than a duvet. So if that's easier/possible for you then don't feel bad and go for it.

Last edited:
I still often sleep with Jax next to me in bed. We also have issues with him settling in his Moses basket at night so if he sleeps with me we both get back to sleep much quicker and easier. We did the same with our first son and have never had any issues with him sleeping in his own bed or settling himself off to sleep and apart from waking very early, he's a brilliant sleeper. If it works for you, go for it x

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

How about a co sleeper? It's a crib tat attachesto the bed, so you can easily get LO in and out and also rech to reassure if it's unsettled.

We had this problem and ended up cosleeping happily

I often do this too when I'm feeding. I got a bit paranoid as well so I make sure the duvet and pillows are well away from him and I try to keep myself awake playing games on my phone.

How about a co sleeper? It's a crib tat attachesto the bed, so you can easily get LO in and out and also rech to reassure if it's unsettled.

Are they expensive? Its just I've already got a cot for his room moses basket downstairs and rocking crib in my room.
Xx

Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna try and put him in his crib but if we fall asleep together ill just put him back when i wake... its strange he he goes down no bother during the day but can be a bit twisty on a night

X

Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna try and put him in his crib but if we fall asleep together ill just put him back when i wake... its strange he he goes down no bother during the day but can be a bit twisty on a night

X

Jasper slept on Bed with us until about 3 months when he went into a. Side. Car cot... There he stayed til a year!

I fall asleep when feeding Kayden (I bottle feed) - day & night loool - at night time is the worst, I sometimes drift off at night when sitting in bed. I find it best to sit rather than lie, your body will probs associate lying with sleeping. I sometimes if i'm really tired & dont trust myself to stay awake...go & sit in the living room then walk thro & put him in cot when he's sound asleep. I have to make up bottles fresh & make myself a coffee at the same time.

I cant imagine an hour or two would do any harm if he lay next to you, but it is who guidelines not to sleep with baby in bed at all. (I co-slept with my first as I didn't know about this & nothing ever happened with her - was only for 3 months tho)

:)

Ii wouldn't buy an expensive co-sleeping cot, a normal cot can just be screwed to the bed at very little cost. There is no evidence to suggest that co-sleeping is dangerous if done correctly.

Particularly with a breastfed baby :)

...it is who guidelines not to sleep with baby in bed at all. (I co-slept with my first as I didn't know about this & nothing ever happened with her - was only for 3 months tho)

:)

Not to restart the co-sleeping debate but I have just looked through the WHO website and they do not say that you should not sleep with the baby in bed at all, anywhere. It is entirely an American Academy of Pediatrics recommendation and does not come from WHO. In fact there are several teaching newborn care leaflets on the WHO site that recommend that practitioners suggest co-sleeping to mothers as it makes breastfeeding at night easier.
Just thought I'd point that out. :)

Also I must point out here that the nhs and the who both agree (as does any other medical professional) that feeding a child on a sofa or sat upright propped up with pillows when tired is far more dangerous than co-sleeping. Far more accidents occur from a baby falling or rolling into the folds of a sofa if the parents fall asleep.

I think it is VERY Important, when giving information and advice to new, tired mothers that you offer correct and safe advice. Which getting out of bed and feeding on a sofa or chair in the middle of the night is not.

I would suggest the op speaks to her midwife or hv who will be able to clarify this further.

Last edited:
I think it is VERY Important, when giving information and advice to new, tired mothers that you offer correct and safe advice. Which getting out of bed and feeding on a sofa or chair in the middle of the night is not.

I would suggest the op speaks to her midwife or hv who will be able to clarify this further.

I don't think that's a very fair comment. She said that she feels more awake if she gets up to feed rather than lying down. If I had been the person who wrote that she got up to feed her baby rather than lying down you would have made me feel like a rather rubbish mother! Infact you did! As I used to sit on the sofa to feed d for the exact same reason as it wakes me up more.
Sent from my HTC with a mind of its own

I don't breast feed but Owen comes in bed with me now and again and he's fine! X

When you put him bk in his crib try just keeping you had on his stomach so that he knows your there. Worked a treat for my Lo on the early months

I don't think that's a very fair comment. She said that she feels more awake if she gets up to feed rather than lying down. If I had been the person who wrote that she got up to feed her baby rather than lying down you would have made me feel like a rather rubbish mother! Infact you did! As I used to sit on the sofa to feed d for the exact same reason as it wakes me up more.

Breastfeeding a child, when you are tired in the middle of the night is far more dangerous on a sofa, breastfeeding releases endorphins that make the mother sleepy, if on a sofa the baby can fall, be suffocated in the folds of the sofa or fall on the floor and be hurt. I am not making this up to offend you, it's fact and common knowledge, if you don't believe me ask your health visitor who will give you the same information.

Frankly a persons 'feelings being a little bit hurt' is fairly inconsequential when a young life is being discussed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back