Baby hits himself when I say 'no'

tinselcat

Reaction score
Baby has taken to hitting himself in the face with his little fist when I say 'no', or 'don't do that'.

He also has a habit of banging his head on objects/the floor when he gets cross/frustrated.

My HV told me to ignore the headbanging behaviour when I mentioned it a couple of months ago, but it's all quite upsetting. I say 'no' etc quite gently.

Anyone any experiences like this?

No advice from me as my 14 month old son does this and I get so worried, will be following for others experiences. I'm yet to bring it up with the HV but having done a little online research, it generally says to ignore as well and that they will stop if they hurt themselves. It's awful to watch and I'm starting to worry about his temper but I'm hoping he'll grow out of it. In a tantrum he also throws himself backwards which is also distressing to see as he will usually bang his head off the floor. I try and stay calm but it's so difficult.

My son was a headbanger and still is to a certain extent. All you can do is quickly throw a cushion where he's banging his head. I was also told to ignore it. He more or less grew out of it... he only does it now when he is really really in the throws of a tantrum.

The best thing I can recommend is distraction. When you say no try and follow it up with how about this instead? or look what's this? Don't actually acknowledge the hitting or head banging, just gently guide him towards something else?

A lot of children go through this phase, try not to worry xx

My toddler literally throws himself on the floor in a tantrum, I've learnt to recognise the signs of when he's gonna do it and then let him throw himself, catch him, lie him on the floor and walk away until he calms down. He also randomly goes around hitting himself on the head which I say no to, move his hand away and distract but it doesn't always work. This is probably of no help whatsoever but you're not alone!

Ours often does it too. It's frustration at not getting what they want and being unable to express themselves about it. We try to distract if she gets too worked up.

Bee has proper full on tantrums when she is told no or if I take something off of her. She throws her head back / rolls on the floor wailing.

She had a 15 minute melt down yesterday when I took her off of the swing. Screeching, gagging, covered in snot.

James has daily tantrums too (thankfully didn't start until he was 2) so it's a right laugh in my house!!!

I distract Bee and ignore James [usually just pop him in another room until he calms down]

I am so over tantrums!!

X

My lb used to do that then switched to biting thankfully he has almost stopped that now too. It's just frustration and should grow out of it soon :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back